Energy Renewals

D-S

Visit site
I was notified last week by Bulb that my account would be credited by 66 pounds in October and November then 67 pounds monthly December though March. The October payment has already registered. Seems like a clear and sensible way of paying it.
By the way i increased my DD by 100pounds a month 4 or 5 months ago in anticipation of the hikes and Bulb have now advised me that this was now 5 pounds too much. I am pleasantly surprised by this as was expecting that the 100 may have been on the low side..
Really can’t fault Bulb’s communications and actions thus far.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My wife is rather freaking out at seeing our smart meter monitor/display showing over £8/day…so for starters ive reduced our central heating times and temps.

Though at 30mins past midnight with no heating on I am baffled why it’s showing charge today as £3.13…inc £2.57 of gas…anyone…?

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
My wife is rather freaking out at seeing our smart meter monitor/display showing over £8/day…so for starters ive reduced our central heating times and temps.

Though at 30mins past midnight with no heating on I am baffled why it’s showing charge today as £3.13…inc £2.57 of gas…anyone…?

Hot water if on a combi boiler. I'd recommend binning the monitor and downloading the free HUGO app. I was a recently told about it and it is very good.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Hot water if on a combi boiler. I'd recommend binning the monitor and downloading the free HUGO app. I was a recently told about it and it is very good.
great shout about the app.

Btw, what do people usually set their hot water at? I inherited settings from the former owners from 4 years ago and just used teh same on my smart thermostat. But I think I might be overdoing the heating there.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Btw, what do people usually set their hot water at? I inherited settings from the former owners from 4 years ago and just used teh same on my smart thermostat. But I think I might be overdoing the heating there.

Any info in your boiler instructions? Our combi boiler is set to 55 for the water. It's what the installer did and we've never altered it. For our heating we have our thermostat set to frost protection setting and only turn it on and off as we want heat.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Any info in your boiler instructions? Our combi boiler is set to 55 for the water. It's what the installer did and we've never altered it. For our heating we have our thermostat set to frost protection setting and only turn it on and off as we want heat.
I watched plenty of youtube now to know not to change the temperatures without any proper measurements.

I am more concerned about the timing of hot water heating. We heat the water like 8 hours a day. 3 in the morning, 5 in the early evening. That seems like overkill to me.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I watched plenty of youtube now to know not to change the temperatures without any proper measurements.

I am more concerned about the timing of hot water heating. We heat the water like 8 hours a day. 3 in the morning, 5 in the early evening. That seems like overkill to me.

Assume you have a tank then. Does seem a lot.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I have a combi boiler and for normal hot water usage it is set at 50deg (which is actually higher than most people can stand) so by the time I fill a bowl for washing up the water is actually less than 50 degree because it takes a while to heat up. The boiler has a preheat function and if it comes out at 50deg it is too hot for my hands.
The simple gude is if you adding cold to cool it down then kit too hot in the first place.

Back when I had a tank the thermostat was set to 70 degree because I only heated it once a day and once it stops heating it is, obviously, starting to cool so by the evening was probably down to around 50 degree.

My radiator temp is set at 65 degree.

The temp settings are as per the boiler manufacturers recommendations.

Last edited:

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a combi boiler and for normal hot water usage it is set at 50deg (which is actually higher than most people can stand) so by the time I fill a bowl for washing up the water is actually less than 50 degree because it takes a while to heat up. The boiler has a preheat function and if it comes out at 50deg it is too hot for my hands.
The simple gude is if you adding cold to cool it down then kit too hot in the first place.

Back when I had a tank the thermostat was set to 70 degree because I only heated it once a day and once it stops heating it is, obviously, starting to cool so by the evening was probably down to around 50 degree.

My radiator temp is set at 65 degree.

The temp settings are as per the boiler manufacturers recommendations.

Off to turn boiler down. Although with the pipework we have in this house it's ages before it gets to either the kitchen sink or bath.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well that hasn't happened unfortunately. Full whack taken.
British gas seem to be making it up as they go along. DD customers were told it would be paid back into their bank accounts but that hasnt happened in a lot of cases its just been cedited to their enery accounts. Doesn't bother me personally as i was just going to pay it back anyway but i can see how some people have gone with an inflated DD payment as they were told they would be getting it back. Very naughty.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
All Bulb have done is offset my monthly usage by £66. I'm still paying the same monthly DD...which is fine by me....I get the benefit of the £400 eventually either way. I guess folks who are perhaps struggling to pay their monthly bills might prefer to have their payments reduced.