End of Year Report.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I had a lesson and changing my grip which helped eliminate my hook and have been scoring really well

I have recently ditched my driver that was causing all sorts of issues as standing over the ball and not knowing where it’ll go isn’t ideal.

Bought a rogue 3 wood and I haven’t really lost much distance but I’m on the fairway more often

Still haven’t joined a club but signed up for England golf and now have an official handicap

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Hardly any competitive golf this year with local restrictions. Handicap hasn’t really moved (18.6)
Lost my golf swing entirely (due to dropping 5st on diet) and its taken a fair bit of time to find it again (work in progress but the range this morning was very good)

The only ‘gear’ bought has been balls, gloves and headcovers… and replacing every golf shirt/shorts three sizes smaller!
My wife’s started taking lessons so that’s probably the highlight for me… onwards for 22’ & getting some extra distance

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Started at 16.6.
Moved to Devon in February.
Change of club meant I had a bad run of form while learning the new course and drifted up to 18.5.
Now settled in and ended year at 14.7.
Played in 7 matches for new club's seniors - won 6, halved 1, so pleased with that.
Still can't hit a draw (except accidentally)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Started the year badly and handicap index just kept creeping up and up. Had some lessons to get the basics right and started hitting ball a lot better. Then started slipping back into mediocrity. Then not so long since, played on one Saturday with a 5 HI player and in the bar afterwards, he offered one observation about my take-away. Put his observation into practice and wow, what a difference. Have never hit the ball so well. Long way to go but all signs are encouraging. Ended up 0.3 lower than I was at start of year. Not much I know but given that the first 6 months saw nothing but increases, it's a good result.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Steady start to the year, winning a few bob in competitions and seeing my handicap back into single figures.

Then I’m afraid my year rather derailed with a prostate cancer diagnosis. The endless hospital appointments always seemed to be on Saturday mornings and, when I could get on the course, my mind was elsewhere.

I’ve not played since September because of the impact of surgery and another surgical issue, but am hoping now to be back firing on all cylinders early in the new year.

Roll on 2022.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Steady start to the year, winning a few bob in competitions and seeing my handicap back into single figures.

Then I’m afraid my year rather derailed with a prostate cancer diagnosis. The endless hospital appointments always seemed to be on Saturday mornings and, when I could get on the course, my mind was elsewhere.

I’ve not played since September because of the impact of surgery and another surgical issue, but am hoping now to be back firing on all cylinders early in the new year.

Roll on 2022.

Sorry to read that, looks like I'm in hospital very soon for the robot jobbie and was hoping to only miss 4 weeks of golf. I trust you're on the mend now?

Billysboots

Visit site
Sorry to read that, looks like I'm in hospital very soon for the robot jobbie and was hoping to only miss 4 weeks of golf. I trust you're on the mend now?

Thanks Chris, I seem fully recovered now as my cancer was caught early, and as such the op seems to have done the trick.

I could have been back on the course after 5-6 weeks but then had another totally unconnected problem which prevented my triumphant return!

Sorry to hear of your situation - PM me if you have any worries/questions. I’m happy to share my experience if it would help.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks Chris, I seem fully recovered now as my cancer was caught early, and as such the op seems to have done the trick.

I could have been back on the course after 5-6 weeks but then had another totally unconnected problem which prevented my triumphant return!

Sorry to hear of your situation - PM me if you have any worries/questions. I’m happy to share my experience if it would help.

It's great that everything has worked out on the cancer front. I have been under surveillance for 4 years now and have just got to to point that I need to undergo the surgery. My team has been fantastic from day one . It has just come a bit suddenly following biopsies in late November.

I will certainly take you up on your offer sometime soon - many thanks

Billysboots

Visit site
It's great that everything has worked out on the cancer front. I have been under surveillance for 4 years now and have just got to to point that I need to undergo the surgery. My team has been fantastic from day one . It has just come a bit suddenly following biopsies in late November.

I will certainly take you up on your offer sometime soon - many thanks

Please do - it’s a genuine offer.

SHiiBBZ

Club Champion
Visit site
Got back into golf after a two year hiatus because of work commitments and COVID. Fell back in love with the game and have played more than I did when I was a member at a club.

Golf has definitely got a lot more expensive in terms of green fees and I haven't seen much progression in my game, but two sub 100 rounds is good going considering I haven't been to the range or anything to practice.

I used to hit my irons nicely and driver was poor, but now my irons have flopped and I'm hitting amazing drives.

Looking to play as much as I can over the coming months and try and get back to being a member at a club. Handicap now in the region of 24 (using my Garmin watch for scorecards etc) when I was a member it was 15. So got some work to do to get back to where I was.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah, I had an ok year....

Won club championship
Played every match as my club won the local scratch league
Won a national championship
Represented my country at senior home internationals
Got handicap down to scratch

Ok ok BEST YEAR EVER!!! :D

Hmm now I have to follow it next year...
Very impressive very well done

Daff

Hacker
Visit site
My golf hasn't been that great this year but there are a few positives to go with the negatives

Biggest positive is that I've taken on the role of Junior organiser at our club and have really enjoyed seeing the juniors grow and develop - much more satisfying than my own game.

Got back into golf after a 10 year hiatus but WHS gave me the handicap that I had when I finished - 6.4!

Played a few summer comps and played to 7 or thereabouts, so not too bad but the standard of golf wasn't really that good. Then injured my back in September and haven't played since!

Made a few good mates and as I said, really enjoyed the new Junior role, helping the kids develop and getting involved with the National Organisation has been brilliant.

So all in all not too bad of a year - just hope to push my own game back to some form of consistency next year whilst maintaining a handicap around 10 or so - just so that I can enjoy my golf without having to worry about it

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Highlight of the year for me was getting a hole in one on our par 3 4th hole. It was in our club individual KO comp and I had a shot on it so won the hole before my opponent even teed off.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I gave up golf 2 years ago around mid December 2019, thinking my back would never tolerate another game. I played around in mid July this year, very badly. Another round in early November, which ended up as half a round because of the weather, + 2 sessions at the range - half a bucket each time.

I played my first competitive round 2 weeks ago, in very windy conditions, on the hardest course in the area. I shocked myself by winning the comp + a nearest the pin and a 2.

Played last week, finishing mid table but had another nearest the pin and a 2.

My last game of the year will be on Wednesday on my favourite course out here, Aguilon.

Over the moon to be back playing.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I gave up golf 2 years ago around mid December 2019, thinking my back would never tolerate another game. I played around in mid July this year, very badly. Another round in early November, which ended up as half a round because of the weather, + 2 sessions at the range - half a bucket each time.

I played my first competitive round 2 weeks ago, in very windy conditions, on the hardest course in the area. I shocked myself by winning the comp + a nearest the pin and a 2.

Played last week, finishing mid table but had another nearest the pin and a 2.

My last game of the year will be on Wednesday on my favourite course out here, Aguilon.

Over the moon to be back playing.

Great to hear that you're playing again Brian

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Started the year with a HI of 17.3 and got it down to 16.7 fairly quickly. Then just couldn’t get a decent round together and have crept back up to 19.4. There has been no consistency with which part of the game isn’t working on any particular day and have taken a short break and not played for nine weeks. Intend to get much practice in during the New Year.

Even though the golf wasn’t great I got to play some great new courses for me including Worksop, Lindrick, The Hallamshire, Coxmoor, Stanton on the Wolds, Levin Links, Camberley Heath and Blackmoor.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
After 3 years of playing once a week with handicap hovering at a frustrating 16-18, I started the year at 18.1 and finished at 14.1.

Something just clicked and breaking 90 has become the norm rather than the exception. If I can become more consistent off the tee I feel 10 isn't so far away. ?

Trojan615

Head Pro
Visit site
Rubbish quite frankly. Started bad a got worse. Clubs have been put away since october and are staying there until the sun comes back out ,think its time for a break and do something else while the weather is crap.

likewise…. Never really got going this year. Forced myself to try and play as I had committed to playing a 4 day trip to Saunton, RND and others… a bad back meant I only completed 2 rounds over the summer. Didn’t fully complete any rounds on the trip and decided to put the clubs away. No real interest in playing again at the moment or for the foreseeable future.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not a vintage year although given everything going on in work, my health and stuff going on at home. Started at 11.6 and now 13.4

Biggest positive has to be being able to get out and play and I've enjoyed it. Picked up a few quid in the roll up I run on a Saturday and had a second in a club comp so a few bright spots. Other than that, short game remains a nemesis, still all mental rather than technical. Other than that the big highlight is always going behind the ropes at the British par 3 champs and meeting a few well known faces

Need to work on my fitness, in terms of helping my diabetes and my current medical issue but to try and eek out a few more yards as I get older.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
It’s been a mixed year for me, but ended better than it started.
Hitting the big 60 in a couple of days and working Monday - Friday 8-4:30 I’m limited to one day on a weekend and evenings after work in the summer.
Bought a house with my divorce monies in May and spent all summer doing it up, so probably played 3 or four times between May & October
Since then, been playing pretty much every Sunday, had a couple of 40 pointers and a 35 that should have been 40+.
One of those led to my first handicap reduction in 5 years
It’s still too high , but if I can play regularly , that will come down.

I can’t use my health as an excuse any more ?