Embarrassing questions from a club newbie

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.
went down to the club today and it looks like Saturday is competition day with sunday 9-11am overspill

So I’ll need to play some casual games with others to get 3 signed scorecards and get my handicap (probably be 28!)

How do competitions actually work? Do you need to be decent to play?

No - competitions are normally played so that a group of similar ability players play against each other and not against the whole field.

The whole point of handicapping is to equal each other out within reason.

Is your 'probably will be 28' because you believe that is the highest handicap you can have - if yes you are wrong highest handicap is 54.

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks all.

I've luckily found a friend of a friend who i'm hoping will take me out on a few sunday afternoons/midweek evenings to sign my card and give me a handicap.

With a handicap i'll then go for a few competition saturdays - just worried about being a hacker/duffer playing alongside accomplished players and basically looking like an eejit!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks everyone.

This sounds daft, but as someone who is relatively new and will be a hacker, will current members not be annoyed if I tailgate a round they’re booked in so I can get them to sign my card, so I can get a handicap?

I would hope the vast majority of people would be ok with this. It's only 18 holes and most golfers are well used to playing with folk they don't know.
You'll know yourself if people aren't fussed about having company and you can hopefully just avoid playing with them again.

If you are going to be self-conscious then it will be difficult for you to play well so hopefully you can find some laid back people who enjoy playing with you.

If you are worried about annoying people then best advice is to play at a decent pace. This doesn't mean rush around the course and hit every shot within 10 seconds of putting your bag down. But just be ready to play.
Don't get up on the tee and tee your ball up, then put your glove on.
Line up your putt while others are putting.
Maybe don't take 30 seconds lining up a putt for an 8.
Have your distance and club selection worked out as you approach the ball.
And if you carry your bag, you should be able to get round a bit quicker than people with trolleys as you can usually take more direct lines.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I asked the captain today who showed me around the course. He said there would be loads but the majority would be playing when I’m working (i work 9-5). Said there will be others and not To worry
Just can imagine say 3 mates going out together, I book alongside on the brs system and they’d be like ‘who’s this numpty Completely missing the ball on his swing?!’
I would hope in any club there are very few people who'd be worried about that sort of thing. You could maybe ask your club secretary to set you up in a group with some other players, so that way he'll speak to them beforehand and you don't need to worry about dropping in unannounced. But as I say, as long as you're a decent bloke most people shouldn't mind you playing with them just because you miss a few shots - we've all been there and that's what golf is all about.

sunshine

Visit site
I understand how you feel. A golf club can appear a very intimidating place, lots of strange rules, customs and etiquette. There's also the initiation ceremony.

95% of members will be friendly and welcoming, but your best bet is probably to start off at a less busy time of day. If you're playing at the weekend, then the afternoon is generally less busy than the morning, and other members are more likely to be relaxed and accommodating towards a newbie. Explain at the start and it will be fine.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
With a handicap i'll then go for a few competition saturdays - just worried about being a hacker/duffer playing alongside accomplished players and basically looking like an eejit!
We were all newbies once and we all had a first competition. Most people remember that and are welcoming of new players, no matter their current level of ability. Some people are not but they're nobs and they're in the minority! Don't worry too much.

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
Yeh I don’t believe that with all the varying abilities I’ve played with that there are too many bothered how much better they are than me. Tends to be if you’re a tit in real life that corresponds to golf ?

Mancdrammer

Visit site
So pleased you asked this, I’ve just got back into golf having not played since being a junior some 30 years ago!

I was considering joining a club as my social network don’t play but thought how would I arrange a round especially as a 28 handicapper (although I don’t hold one at the moment)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So pleased you asked this, I’ve just got back into golf having not played since being a junior some 30 years ago!

I was considering joining a club as my social network don’t play but thought how would I arrange a round especially as a 28 handicapper (although I don’t hold one at the moment)
Look around at the clubs in your area, give them a call and even ask if you can play a few holes. If a club wants your membership, especially in these strange times they'll be pleased to help. Ask about roll up groups as they're a good way of getting a regular game and meeting a good number of golfers in one hit

brickie

Medal Winner
Visit site
At my club we have a list of telephone numbers of members who are willing to play a round and mark a card for new members.
It's a good way to get to know other players too. And in some cases "ahem!" Those to avoid.

Mancdrammer

Visit site
i wasn’t sure if to join my local club which is circa £1k or play more golf at £350 but again it’s finding someone willing to play with a novice

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
i wasn’t sure if to join my local club which is circa £1k or play more golf at £350 but again it’s finding someone willing to play with a novice
We were all novices once. I think, and it's merely my opinion that you'll get more from a proper club membership (practice facilities, regular comps, roll up groups etc) than a playmore membership. Joining a proper club there may be more opportunity to either join golfers of a similar standard, or it'll have ways of integrating new and inexperienced golfers

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's far from normal at my club.

Have you misinterpreted what I am saying?

Do your clubs not not operate divisions for prizes?

We have handicap divisions of

Division 1 Handicap range up to 10 inclusive

Division 2 Handicap Range 11 to 15 inclusive

Division 3 Handicap range 16 to 54

Our divisions are based upon roughly splitting the number of the players in each division.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

Our divisions are based upon roughly splitting the number of the players in each division.

We dont do divisions but most comps have a scratch and a handicap winner. Scratch winner is normally a lower HC player, the other varies!

Mandofred

Visit site

It is easy to take your first comment either way. At first I took it that you said that people of similar abilities were grouped together to play which that I know of isn't what happens. With your clarification.....I agree totally. Although now you have me wondering. Our divisions are 0-12, 12-16?, beyond......I always thought that the 12-16 was a bit tight for div 2. Is there a variance with all the clubs? We still are not back to normal for our medal tomorrow, but usually we put our names in and they get drawn randomly so that you can't play with your buddies.....and that leads me to a new post topic.....

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We dont do divisions but most comps have a scratch and a handicap winner. Scratch winner is normally a lower HC player, the other varies!

We also have a separate prize for best gross for Saturday comps. Makes for a bumper prize day if you also win best nett.