Embarrassing questions from a club newbie

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is easy to take your first comment either way. At first I took it that you said that people of similar abilities were grouped together to play which that I know of isn't what happens. With your clarification.....I agree totally. Although now you have me wondering. Our divisions are 0-12, 12-16?, beyond......I always thought that the 12-16 was a bit tight for div 2. Is there a variance with all the clubs? We still are not back to normal for our medal tomorrow, but usually we put our names in and they get drawn randomly so that you can't play with your buddies.....and that leads me to a new post topic.....

We review ours from time to time and as said it is mainly set to have a roughly equal number in each division.

Div 2 is probably the hardest to win because traditionally something like 12-18 is where the majority of golfers will be. I am fighting like mad to stay in Div 1.

Our Men Seniors divisions are not the same because of fewer single figure layers
15 and below, 16-21 and 22 or higher.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just one for newbies to golf worried about playing with better players.

One of our sat am roll up four balls today comprises the following h/caps...0, 9, 17, 26. And i can almost Guarantee that none of the four will feel frustrated, irritated or embarrassed. They will enjoy their fourball match and each other’s company.

Why ‘almost’ - well it depends on whether or not the 17h/capper wears some of his ludicrous loud trousers ?

Last edited:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Although now you have me wondering. Our divisions are 0-12, 12-16?, beyond......I always thought that the 12-16 was a bit tight for div 2. Is there a variance with all the clubs? ..

We have our medals divided into three divisions and conduct a regular analysis of the number of entrants in each division and, if necessary, vary the handicap ranges that define each division, so that roughly each division has the same number of players in it.

As players leave/join the club the overall handicap demographic changes, so if you dont manage your divisions handicap range you may end up with wildly differing divisional sizes.

We just do it to make it fairer, given that the prize money for placing in any division is exactly the same as other divisions and it doesnt seem fair if one golfer needs to beat 30 or 40 other golfers in his division and a golfer in another division needs to only beat say 15 or 20 other players.

We just cast our eyes over the recent comps once a year to see if the current handicap ranges are appropriate and adjust as necessary.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have a feeling (and happy to amend as necessary) that the club changes this per competition based on the number of entrants and their handicap. I am sure I've ended up in division 1 for some comps off 13. I also think the middle division is 13-20 as a norm

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a feeling (and happy to amend as necessary) that the club changes this per competition based on the number of entrants and their handicap. I am sure I've ended up in division 1 for some comps off 13. I also think the middle division is 13-20 as a norm

We will also change our divisions based on the entry list. Means we can't offer an OOM of merit for the divisions but it also means we don't get an unbalanced field. Before we started doing this, I once won Div2 monthly medal when there was only one other entrant! Hey ho, a win's a win!