Electric Golf Trolley Make & Battery Advice

Hawkeye1165

Visit site
Hi All

I play golf (very badly) about once a week (if I have any cash), less often if not

Average about a game every 2 weeks

I have a very old pull trolley and wanted to get an electric as Christmas is coming

Much research and looking at reviews and forums and results are mixed

I like the GoKart especially as it has an offer on the lithium battery (£60 cashback)

Downside - No USB charger and no Go Ahead mode

How many of you honestly send your trolley ahead of you - Is it a feature worth having

===============
Motocaddy S3 or M1

Both look good but I can't stump up the extra for the lithium

Anyone had reliability issues with this - read somewhere that oil leaking, bad reliability but hard to get an unbiased view

Downside - At 6ft 2 tall is handle on S3 too small

==================================
Powakaddy

I fancy the FW5

Has all the features I want

Downside - The Plug and Play battery

Is it possible to get a battery to fit inside the plug and play holder

i.e. Am I stuck with buying an official Powakaddy battery

While the trolley is cheap the batteries are very expensive vs aftermarket ones

==========================
Lastly Pro Rider

Has all the features I want and a lithium sub £400

===========================================

If I am honest I think I would have gone for the Powakaddy (if it was not for the battery)

But got to make a decision quickly as there is a 14 day lead time on the GoKart and already 11th Dec

I can live without the USB charging - Not sure if I would miss the go ahead feature although never having had it maybe it is not such a big deal

Advice please

Especially on the FW5 battery

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I'm 6' 2" and have a MotoCaddy S1. Had it for about 4 years now and really like it. The original battery lasted almost 3 years, had three replacement batteries since - first one cracked, Motocaddy insisted it had been dropped, which I am adamant it hadn't. Had to stump up for a replacement. This one wouldn't hold charge after a week or two, and was replaced under warranty which I am now using. The current one has been fine. No problems with the handle due to my height, only issue with the trolley was that the red button sometimes switched itself on, but had that replaced and been fine since.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've got an S3 also and had it for about 3 years and never had a problem. Still on the original battery and I usually play twice a week at least weather permitting. I paid the extra for the S3 over the S1 as I wanted the go ahead feature and I use it all the time. Many on here like the go-kart, praising it's after sales service, I don't know what Motocaddy's is like as I've never had to contact them. Regarding the handle I'm only 5ft7 but know plenty of 6ft plus guys at my club who use them with no issues.

Hawkeye1165

Visit site
Hi, thanks for the reply.
One question I forgot to ask was can you fit other types of battery to the S1 M1 range or is it a case of again having to buy manufacturers own ?

i have seen aftermarket batteries advertised for the motocaddy S series but nothing for Powakaddy hence part of my original question

I guess the same question could apply to the GoKart as well, can you fit an alternate battery

I do like the look of the motocaddy although they they are a bit more expensive

Looks like you have had no problems with the actual trolley which is encouraging

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing Devils Advocate, but do you need an electric trolley? Just thinking in terms of cash saving.

I got rid of mine 4-5years ago and got the S1 Lite (push Trolley) and i have never looked back. i see less and less electric ones on the course now and considerably more lightweight push trollies.

might be worth considering

wonga

Club Champion
Visit site
I have got a M3 with a lithium battery & haven't had any problems at all! I used to have an original battery with the "All Terrain" which packed up after just over 12 months (I was playing 5 days a week so no surprise there) which is why I went to the lithium. Had it for 2 years now and although it is for 18 holes it will do 27! Well worth the money. Hope this helps. I am 6ft 3" tall.

Scotty Cameron

Head Pro
Visit site
I have the GoKart and its about 4 years old now. Replaced the battery once (this summer) and had a service at the begining of the year which gave me a 2 year extended warranty. For me the GoKart is the best trolley I have had, a HillBilly which lasted 1 year, a Powakaddy, that lasted just over 2 year and a no name chinese crappy thing from Ebay.

Don't have any experience of a Moto but I did a lot of research before I bought my GoKart and the reliability and service of some of the big names left a lot to be desired, whereas the GoKart came highly recommended by all, and now I know why.

Having said that I do agree with MendieGK above, do you really need a one for the amount of games you play ??? If you are out two, there or more times a week then I could understand but playing sometimes once a fortnight doesn't justify the outlay to me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had the GK automatic and recently changed to the Motocaddy M1 Pro. To be honest things like the go ahead function doesn't really bother me and I rarely use it. Both have their merits and issues but if I was going to be come down on one side I'd go GK for their customer service

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I bought a second hand Powerkaddy and after two years started having issues with the speed controller. I was offered a second hand Go-Kart and that has been solid.

I also previously owned a Pro-Rider and cannot recommend it as I had issues with it and eventually got my money back. They did refund me but I had a lot of hassle getting it back.

The Powakaddy folding mechanism is very good and stores easily however I have heard that the new models aren't as reliable as they used to be. My playing partner has the Motocaddy M1 Lithium which was a pain to fold when he first got it but now he's used to it he loves it. It is a very smooth running trolley and folds up small.

The Go-Kart is a no nonsense no frills trolley, not the easiest to fold and store and it can be fiddly to fit the battery however if you want reliability it is very difficult to find a better trolley.

If I was on a budget I'd look for a new or second hand Go-Kart. If money is not an issue I'd look at the M1

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm teetering on 6 foot 3 and have a motocaddy S3 and thought the handle was a touch low, but there's a riser gizmo though you can get from motocaddy for about £10, works a charm!

Revolt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have a Pro Rider, Trolleys themselves are fantastic, the customer service is "meh"

Snapped the battery cable and they wanted £25 for a new cable.... eventually haggled them down to £15 which they probably still made 400% profit on given what it actually is....
The plastic handle next to the throttle snapped off on course and they wanted £35..... after a bit of poor customer service and email negotiating I eventually got this for £0 :)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Mate of mine bought a re-conditioned GoKart from the Company, and has had no problems with it over the last six years. Not sure if they still do them, but you could contact Sandy at GoKart and find out.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
I've had my GoKart for almost 4 years now. It was bought just after I turned 50 with birthday present money.

I'll be booking it in for the next service and another 2-year renewal early in 2015.

They have the best customer service of any company I've ever dealt with over any reasonable period of time - you have to join up to see how good they are!

I chose mine because I spent some time researching the options before I bought my first ever electric trolley, and the well respected/praised CS side of it made me go for them - some people don't like the looks, but you won't find many people who buy one saying much negative about them after they get one!

Last edited:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Another thumbs up for the GoKart.
I've had one now for about 5 or 6 years.
I personally think it's the best money I've ever spent on a golf related item.
As others have mentioned, the back up service (should you ever need it) is second to none.
I wouldn't hesitate in recommending one.
I have the standard 18 hole battery for mine, but it has lasted 36 on many occasions.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I had a Motocaddy S1 for over 6 yrs, no problems. And I'm now 14mths into a Motocaddy M1 lithium, no problems. I like the USB for the Skycaddie, and the overall weight is fine - I can lift the trolley into the boot without taking the battery off.

Scotty Cameron

Head Pro
Visit site
I bought a second hand Powerkaddy and after two years started having issues with the speed controller. I was offered a second hand Go-Kart and that has been solid.

I also previously owned a Pro-Rider and cannot recommend it as I had issues with it and eventually got my money back. They did refund me but I had a lot of hassle getting it back.

The Powakaddy folding mechanism is very good and stores easily however I have heard that the new models aren't as reliable as they used to be. My playing partner has the Motocaddy M1 Lithium which was a pain to fold when he first got it but now he's used to it he loves it. It is a very smooth running trolley and folds up small.

The Go-Kart is a no nonsense no frills trolley, not the easiest to fold and store and it can be fiddly to fit the battery however if you want reliability it is very difficult to find a better trolley.

If I was on a budget I'd look for a new or second hand Go-Kart. If money is not an issue I'd look at the M1

I find it the easiest of all trolleys to assemble, from taking it out of the storage bag to sticking my golf bag on it takes about 30 seconds, try doing hat with a powakaddy :D, and when I'm finished my round it is just as easy to fold away and put in the boot. I'm always the first one ready for the clubhouse ;)

I've had my GoKart for almost 4 years now. It was bought just after I turned 50 with birthday present money.

I'll be booking it in for the next service and another 2-year renewal early in 2015.

They have the best customer service of any company I've ever dealt with over any reasonable period of time - you have to join up to see how good they are!

I chose mine because I spent some time researching the options before I bought my first ever electric trolley, and the well respected/praised CS side of it made me go for them - some people don't like the looks, but you won't find many people who buy one saying much negative about them after they get one!

I do :thup: Looks are a personal thing, the trolley has a modern design and it shows, look at the competition they haven't changed the basic style in years, metal legs and supports are so old hat :D

hopeful

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a Motocaddy S1, nearly 4 years old and the original battery has lasted well but getting tired now. However, I had to replace the speed control electronics in the handle; also the on/off switch is ridiculously sensitive...my trolley went for a swim once because I brushed the switch then turned away without noticing that the trolley had gone walkabout!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

GK is by far the quickets and easiest trolly to put up and down and fitting the battery is easy. Slip it in, push down until it clicks and away you go.