ECM/ECU issues

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
local garage has diagnosed the faults on HID's car (Nissan Qashqai) to be due to ECM problems.

I'm guessing my only option is to take it to a main dealer for them to look at, but having read some of the horror stories on the owners forums, it doesn't seem that good an idea.

Anyone else had issues with their cars and found alternatives ?

TIA

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
DPF lights and issues can be a nightmare. Does it only get easy town driving? Have you tried giving it a hard blast to try and clear it through?
Faiiling that, how about a DPF cleaner you put through the fuel tank, Im told they can be quite successful and a lot cheaper than a garage visit.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
local garage has diagnosed the faults on HID's car (Nissan Qashqai) to be due to ECM problems.

I'm guessing my only option is to take it to a main dealer for them to look at, but having read some of the horror stories on the owners forums, it doesn't seem that good an idea.

Anyone else had issues with their cars and found alternatives ?

TIA

My Mrs Qashqai is in at the moment for the exact same thing, Chassis Control System fault, Electronic Stability Control light coming on too, also the front a rear parking sensors warning. Apparently the garage have found zero faults so far!!!

I'll report back. Awaiting another phone call back today.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Thats one of the warning lights up as well as the dpf one.

What's your car & electrics knowledge like? I've heard that these issues sometimes develop due to corroded earth connections. If you know what you're doing and can invest the time it might be worth going round & cleaning up all the earth points to see if that helps.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Basically without a thorough check there is no way of knowing if the ECM is failing or if it really a fault with another sensor sending info to the ECM.

Last time I has this sort of problem it was a clogged EMC filter.

These days I make a point of taking the car for a burn up, up and down the local dual carriageway every so often to make sure as much 'rubbish' gets burnt off as possible.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can you do a forced DPF regen?

we tried that (or rather the garage did)

He let us have the car back for a few days and he's coming back tomorrow to plug his gizmo in, just to see if the error codes have changed.
its runs fine, just all the warning lights are on

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lad had all sorts of issues with his VW changing many sensors etc...
After taking advice from forum he replaced the various vacuum hoses...
Which, for him, resolved his issues...

user2010

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
we tried that (or rather the garage did)

He let us have the car back for a few days and he's coming back tomorrow to plug his gizmo in, just to see if the error codes have changed.
its runs fine, just all the warning lights are on

Just cover the warning lights up with black tape, job done.(y):LOL:

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
My old diesel never got much running day to day, so occasionally I'd take it for blast to try and clear the DPF.

I'd find a nice clear road and red line through the gears, not sure if that cleared the filter, but it was fun, never took it to excessive speed as I like my license, always to just to 70mph .