Bob and Jan's world tour

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
of Scotland (sorry Big Yin)
Jan (Teegirl) organised a trip to Scotland in a motorhome to celebrate my 50th last week.
It was a brilliant 4 days amost without exception.
The problems started when we collected the van from Rotherham on Wednesday.
Apart from the tele bracket not working and later the tele itself, that was the least of our worries.
A steady water leak from the living area container left us empty by Edinburgh which caused the alarm to beep every 2 minutes :(
Nevertheless, we carried on to my first golf club (Kirkcaldy G C) where I learned my golf in the early 70's.
After discovering the heating had decided not to work, we spent a cool night in the car park.
Next morning after an early start we had a great game around my old track, boring Jan with memories of great shots, (can't remember all the bad ones).
The afternoon was spent christmas shopping then onto my sisters in Glenrothes for pressies and a curry with big brother.
Another cold night followed in the van but off the next day to Play Buchanan Castle.
My old mate is head pro there so was nice to see him after many years.
It was a bit moist and foggy, but after the fog lifted, it was lovely.

P111209_1512-1.jpg

After saying our goodbyes, we headed off the short drive to Loch Lomond where we parked up overnight on the bonny bonny banks. Surprisingly, the heater started to work again :)

LLOMOND-1.jpg

On Saturday, after a full Scottish at the Tullie Inn in Balloch, we set off for Glasgow.
After a wee look in a few golf shops for you know what, we headed south for England.
We stopped off for just a look you understand at Gretna Green where fancy, someone was getting married

DSCI0232.jpg

Lastly it was onto Penrith where we planed to find a pub, steak dinner few beers then bed.
10 miles from Penrith was where she broke the van :(
A smell of burning filled the cab, so we stopped, the smell went so we risked the last 10 miles to the Penrith turnoff.
The Cumbrian Police we most helpfull after telling us we had no back lights or indicators caused by a burned out fuse box.
We limped to an icy carpark in Penrith where we waited for National call out to come and fix our broken van. (who we didn't call Oliver)
While we waited we were treated to a display by some local kids spinning round on the ice in not inexpensive cars doing doughnuts I believe they are called.
We didn't laugh much when one misjudged it a wee bit and bounced off a lampost.
To cut a long story short, we drove to the nearest garage and emptied all our stuff into a Suzuki Liana (Top Gear Fame) and drove down to Rotherham where we swapped all our stuff again into my car, getting home about 2am.
The main thing is no-one got hurt and the only casualty was a DVD I mistakenly left in the tele.
I would like to thank Jan for a great 4 days, it certainly wasn't boring and I'll never forget it.
I promise that I will return the favour next summer but somewhere warmer. :)

So, would I hire another motor home? Yes
Would I hire one to go to Scotland? Maybe
Would I hire one to go to Scotland in December without a heater, probably not.

Here's to next summer. :)
Thanks again Jan xxx

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If nothing excititng happened it would have just been a trip away to play some golf. Now you have a host of varied memories to look back on when you are in your rocking chair living off the proceeds of the v-easy. Sounds like a blast and good old Jan for organising it. And belated happy birthday