Ebay

JGolfer

Visit site
Do people feel like they have a lot of success selling on ebay? Im looking to sell 2 clubs (I won't mention which as I feel that would be trying to skirt the rules) I have checked places like golfbidder, but £200 loss for a clubs that have been hit 5 times in total, seems excessive. Never sold something on ebay, let alone golf clubs, so looking for some advice around if people find they have success if so what kind of loss are you talking, or any other sort of sites they like to sell too, that give a good price.

If this breaks the rules too about selling, pls admin delete. I did try to email one to ask if it would be allowed, but didn't have conversation rights!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have sold quite a lot on ebay (mainly golf clubs) and it can be hit or miss depending on what you are selling and whether the market is there for it. Check other listings for rough price guides and don't go with ebay's ridiculous start price / buy it now suggestions (told me to put a buy it now of £225 on a brand new boxed £600 subwoofer)

But remember whatever your item sells for you will be charged fees of around 14% once ebay has taken their fee (10%) and then paypal take theirs (c. 3.5-4%) so you can easily lose a fair chunk of your asking price.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have been buying and selling on ebay for 15 years with reasonable success, not just golf.

I have a simple philosophy when it comes to selling- I work out what I want as minimum for an item allowing for all costs ie commission by ebay and paypal on not just the item but post and packing.
I always try to add the actual postage cost (allowing for all expenses) no point in in trying make a profit on postage as it incurs commission anyway, put the postage too high and it simply will stop some from bidding.

When I have worked out all of these things that is my start price.

If it sells I am therefore happy if it does not I will relist several times before dropping the price.

I often wait with the more expensive items for a £1 commission only weekend.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are trying to work out what your item is worth the best way is to look at sold prices for the same item on ebay.

Depending on where you are eg London or in a reasonably well populated area listing on something lie gumtree can be successful.

U

User62651

Do people feel like they have a lot of success selling on ebay? Im looking to sell 2 clubs (I won't mention which as I feel that would be trying to skirt the rules) I have checked places like golfbidder, but £200 loss for a clubs that have been hit 5 times in total, seems excessive. Never sold something on ebay, let alone golf clubs, so looking for some advice around if people find they have success if so what kind of loss are you talking, or any other sort of sites they like to sell too, that give a good price.

If this breaks the rules too about selling, pls admin delete. I did try to email one to ask if it would be allowed, but didn't have conversation rights!

I sell all the time on ebay.

Apologies if repeating what's above but if auctioning, time the auction to finish Sunday evening around 2000 hrs (you can schedule that when listing) to maximise visibility to potential buyers and browsers.

Offer free postage (lose that cost in your asking price instead).

Be honest and offer lots of good quality pictures with it.

Offer global shipping via GSP for a much bigger market - you only have to mail to Lichfield and they do the rest.

If you live in an area of sizeable population could try Gumtree first as there are no fees with that.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I sell all my no-longer-used gear on Ebay. I go in with low expectations though because it's always stuff which is well-used. I do find though that you can sell pretty much anything on there, since the market you're selling to is so huge. I recently sold a driver which had only cost me £60 second-hand for £82, just because two potential buyers obviously had a little bit of a bid war on it. A trolley as well that I'd paid £55 for an had for a year sold for about £48 so I barely made much of a loss on it. It's well worth going on there, just make sure you allow the correct amount for your delivery/postage costs, which it should help you calculate when you make the listing. As Jim said above, I always start my listings at the lowest price I would be happy to accept, so even if I only get one bid, as long as it sells I'm always happy.

JGolfer

Visit site
The issue is, the item I am selling there is no others on their selling it, I believe the two clubs only came out a few weeks ago, I bought them pre ordered (bad advice, and after getting a custom fit, was told I had been sold something not suited for what they had seen).

Thanks for the advice, I think I will maybe set up a bid, rather than buy it now price.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The issue is, the item I am selling there is no others on their selling it, I believe the two clubs only came out a few weeks ago, I bought them pre ordered (bad advice, and after getting a custom fit, was told I had been sold something not suited for what they had seen).

Thanks for the advice, I think I will maybe set up a bid, rather than buy it now price.
Certainly set it to open bids as you never know how high it could go. Plus you have to fee an extra fee for Buy It Now I think. That's a good thing if there are any others on Ebay, anyone that wants one will be forced to look at your listing.