East Midlands golf club membership

Daveg99

Visit site
Hi all,
A few mates and I are looking at joining our first golf club this year. Is anyone a member of a club that they would recommend? Or know of a club looking for new members and offering a good rate?
As long as the location is within the east midlands and the cost isn’t too high.
Thanks in advance

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire

That's a massive area

Consider whats important to you

E.g location ( i wont travel outside of 30 mins of home for example as a home club or I wouldn't use it), cost, do u play winter and summer or just summer, is social important, do u prefer a booking system or roll up, are u looking for a particular comp day, do u want an open course, a long course, a hilly course a tight course, water, an easy course, a difficult one, a fun course?

Edit
Notts would have more year round courses (mainly sand based).

Derby and Leicester mainly clay based some exceptions.

Daveg99

Visit site
Well I’m based in Loughborough and my mates are Ashby way. We play all year round (as much as we can) course type doesn’t bother me too much just as long as it keeps me thinking throughout the year. I guess the first post was a little vague!

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ok so maybe google golf course near loughborough or ashby and look at those in a circle between.

Ashby has willersley, loughborough is near longcliffe, charnwood (9 holer), maybe lingdale too, bretby in burton, branston with a gym but very wet atm, off the a50 u have south derby option of Micleover and the muni at sinfin.
Rushcliffe and other notts courses might be a bit far for your mates, Litchfield golf and country similar for you.
Edit spelling

Daveg99

Visit site
Thank you. I appreciate all the clubs being listed and there is a couple I’ve not heard of so will look into them, however what I was hoping for is a recommendation from someone that’s a member at a club or has been and would suggest them for certain reasons

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am a member at Kibworth, which is just south of Leicester. Its a nice parkland course, quite tight in places. It doesn’t drain that well, but we’ve managed to stay open much of the winter with only the odd temporary green. This is down to a lot of work on the greens in the past few years to help them drain better.

The quality of the course means that we attracted a number of new members last year. At the weekends it’s busy in the mornings but fairly quiet in the afternoons. We have great practice facilities, including short game area and you have access to three pros in the shop, each of whom can provide lessons.

Distance wise you are around 45 mins away in Loughborough, so there will be many courses nearer, but give us a try if you get an opportunity.

Daveg99

Visit site
I am a member at Kibworth, which is just south of Leicester. Its a nice parkland course, quite tight in places. It doesn’t drain that well, but we’ve managed to stay open much of the winter with only the odd temporary green. This is down to a lot of work on the greens in the past few years to help them drain better.

The quality of the course means that we attracted a number of new members last year. At the weekends it’s busy in the mornings but fairly quiet in the afternoons. We have great practice facilities, including short game area and you have access to three pros in the shop, each of whom can provide lessons.

Distance wise you are around 45 mins away in Loughborough, so there will be many courses nearer, but give us a try if you get an opportunity.

Brilliant, thanks mate. We’re playing at Rushcliffe this weekend hopefully and then one of the lads wants to try Whetstone too. I don’t really have any preconceptions of either to be fair just looking forward to having a knock!

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whetstone is nearly always open, even when it shouldn't be.

Everytime I play there in the winter I question my sanity,

The pro always gives a friendly welcome, but for me it's a game of golf when my place is under water,

just around the corner you'll find Cosby, IMO a lot better golf course

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I started at Whetstone many years ago when it was still a 9 holer. Friendly course with a driving range and good value, although as FT says it can get boggy, but then don't all Leicestershire courses on their lovely clay soil!

I'm a member at Ullesthorpe which is also a friendly club, a bit more expensive than Whetstone and a hotel attached so there are hotel and visitor slots at the weekend but I don't usually have a problem finding a time, we use on-line booking.

https://www.ullesthorpegolfclub.co.uk/

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Brilliant, thanks mate. We’re playing at Rushcliffe this weekend hopefully and then one of the lads wants to try Whetstone too. I don’t really have any preconceptions of either to be fair just looking forward to having a knock!

Rushcliffe's a marmite course, with quite a few quirky holes. Not an expert on Leicestershire courses, but played quite a few of them. Longcliffe and Rothley Park would be my favourites. No idea how they cope with the winter though.

Daveg99

Visit site
Thanks guys. I’ve sent a few emails out to a couple of clubs (Rushcliffe, Cosby and whetstone) just to see if they have any offers on for new members joining at this time of year etc. Will let you know if any do just incase anyone else is thinking of joining a new club