east lothian course recommendations for membership

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi All,

Am interested in joining one of the less well known courses in east lothian.

Does anyone have experience being a member of gifford/castle park/haddington/winterfield/etc?

Would be really interested to hear any recommendations.

Thanks

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you are local try and play them first, all have cheap greens fees.
I was a member at Haddington for over 10 years. A busy club with plenty comps. Fees are pricey these days.
CP is in the middle of nowhere. Quieter and cheaper than Haddy. An interesting course with two different nines. A challenging walk in places.
Gifford is a fab 9 hole course and cheap to join. This would be my choice these days.
Winterfield has a terrible front 9 but a lovely back 9 with stunning views. Seems to be doing well as a club these days. Best choice for winter golf.

peld

Visit site
Go and play them if you havent

Never played it myself but not heard many positive things about Castle Park other than the general set up. Bit scruffy. Haddington is meant to be pretty good, pal used to be a member. Winterfield quite quirky but good for the winter.

TigerTime

Visit site
I went for a round at Castle Park in March and it was probably the worst experience I'd ever had on a golf course. The course itself is garbage with utterly boring holes playing off a cow field. The set up in the farm house (clubhouse) was even more atrocious as the staff hadn't a clue. Avoid.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I went for a round at Castle Park in March and it was probably the worst experience I'd ever had on a golf course. The course itself is garbage with utterly boring holes playing off a cow field. The set up in the farm house (clubhouse) was even more atrocious as the staff hadn't a clue. Avoid.
That is harsh. I have played there countless times over the years and have always enjoyed it. Don't go expecting too much for about £25 a round.