Earl of Mar

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
A few shots of the opening holes of the Earl of Mar at Mar Hall hotel.

Looking back down the fairway of the opening hole, a par 5.

DSCF0290_zpsc8f6aa85.jpg

The roofs you can see on the left are of the now sadly defunct furniture workshop and print shop of Erskine Hospital.

DSCF0287_zps304db851.jpg

My house is just out of shot to the left.

The 200 ish part 3 second

DSCF0284_zps6752fb81.jpg

DSCF0285_zps9d552aa5.jpg

Approaches to the dog leg left 3rd:

If you've managed a draw

DSCF0279_zpsffcd0ab9.jpg
[

Strait and too long

DSCF0277_zpse6ebc088.jpg

DSCF0280_zpscbbc52b6.jpg
[

DSCF0282_zps2e97ef24.jpg
[

4th fairway from up on the bridge

DSCF0074_zps60a4b274.jpg

DSCF0072_zpsc4368f48.jpg

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
The fairways are superb at the moment, the greens are starting to go brown in patches and the fringes are looking decidedly dodgy. I really do doubt that bar prices are any better to be honest but I can't swear to it.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
The fairways are superb at the moment, the greens are starting to go brown in patches and the fringes are looking decidedly dodgy. I really do doubt that bar prices are any better to be honest but I can't swear to it.
We played just over a year ago , and found the fairways had just a thin layer of grass then lots of stones just below the surface . I'm glad its matured a bit , it will be a great course given time also next to Erskine beach but not a links.:confused:

Last edited:

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
We played just over a year ago , and found the fairways had just a thin layer of grass then lots of stones just below the surface . I'm glad its matured a bit , it will be a great course given time also next to Erskine beach but not a links.:confused:

Definitely not. Neither do I believe that the whole course is built on a shingle beach as they claim, the elevation change between the holes bordering the path next to the clyde and the first fairway is 30m and a distance of 500 yards, that's a lot of shingle. The lower holes may be on shingle and drain well but I doubt the more elevated ones do; if they did there would be no need for the large street type metal drain covers in the first fairway.

But perhaps I'm being a bit harsh, the course is generally beautifully presented (I walk it nearly daily with the mutt) and is shockingly quiet; I have a theory about how they intend to increase golf traffic but it might just turn out to be ramblings.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
interesting, I'd heard decent things about this course but never played it- are they trying to be exclusive do you think?

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
HDID lists 88 male members and no lady members, that's at £1200 a year. I think that given the nature of the hotel they probably would wish to have a degree of exclusivity but being a business then surely the golf course has to cover it's costs.

The course is generally scandalously quiet. You don't really want boozy lads golf weekends based in the main hotel (given some of the clientèle they get) but, if you had the opportunity to purchase more land and perhaps build a dormy away from the main hotel? And if Erskine hospital were about to demolish a load of the old Vets cottages next to the first fairway then who knows? That's my theory and I really hope it's cobblers.

HDID Kenny

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
HDID lists 88 male members and no lady members, that's at £1200 a year. I think that given the nature of the hotel they probably would wish to have a degree of exclusivity but being a business then surely the golf course has to cover it's costs.

The course is generally scandalously quiet. You don't really want boozy lads golf weekends based in the main hotel (given some of the clientèle they get) but, if you had the opportunity to purchase more land and perhaps build a dormy away from the main hotel? And if Erskine hospital were about to demolish a load of the old Vets cottages next to the first fairway then who knows? That's my theory and I really hope it's cobblers.

I have played this a couple of time the last being a meet I organised with 32 golfers from the HDID forum 2 rounds b&b £120, hotel is really plush rooms superb, however drinks are well overpriced at £4.50 a bottle of lager. There is an out building over looking the 9th tee that was being earmarked as a 'dormy house'. The course it's self is a decent layout however as mentioned fairways a little bare, green each time I've played it have been shockingly slow, I fear this could turn into the next Westerwood.....

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have played this a couple of time the last being a meet I organised with 32 golfers from the HDID forum 2 rounds b&b £120, hotel is really plush rooms superb, however drinks are well overpriced at £4.50 a bottle of lager. There is an out building over looking the 9th tee that was being earmarked as a 'dormy house'. The course it's self is a decent layout however as mentioned fairways a little bare, green each time I've played it have been shockingly slow, I fear this could turn into the next Westerwood.....

Was it a round looking newish building? It's an Italian restaurant called Il Posto, not bad prices in there.

Should have got a cab down to the Bishy Inn, about £4 and then £2.50 a pint :)