Ear defenders at the range?

mikem004

Visit site
As I am now coming up to retirement, I fancied taking up the game again after a gap of over 20 years. So I headed down the local driving range and practiced hitting a few balls.
Unfortunately, I was in an adjacent bay to an experienced player who was whacking balls with a driver. It sounded like a whip crack.
This aggravated my tinnitus and has made me wary of going down to the range again without ear protection.
Ear plugs are a no no, as they impact wax and make the tinnitus worse.
What about ear defenders? Do any other players use these?
I can't see the noise being a problem on the course -- it is not enclosed like a range hut.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Only you can know buddy. Just watch they’re stable and don’t fall like off. It’ll affect your practice.

Another option might be wireless earphones. Could listen to music or white noise whilst you practice.

mikem004

Visit site
Some of the ear defenders around look like headphones. I can pretend I am a trendy DJ...
Good point about stability, though.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Some drivers make a truly awful sound.
If you feel you need ear protection then use it.
If anyone has a problem with it it's exactly that..their problem.

mikem004

Visit site
Robin,
I moved bay a couple of times but there was always someone with a driver next door!
For my own peace of mind, I will have to look into wearing some form of ear protection next time I go down to the range.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Robin,
I moved bay a couple of times but there was always someone with a driver next door!
For my own peace of mind, I will have to look into wearing some form of ear protection next time I go down to the range.
Do whatever you need to do. If you can find some small ear protectors that aren't obtrusive then go for it. I see a lot of people at the range with headphones, playing music so no-one will bat an eyelid if you have small earpieces. Count yourself lucky not too many still have the square, yellow Nike Sumo. That was offensively loud on a range (and even on a course)

AdamW

Visit site
I use these for gigs: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-E-A-R-Clear-Earplugs-UF-01-021-1-Pair-FREE-UK-P-P/332239406301?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Without them i have tinnitus for at least a week and very bad the hours and day after.

With them i have never had tinnitus following a gig.

They reduce noise by 20db and have the advantage of being clear so no one will notice.

Realise you said you did not want ear plugs but think you might be okay just for a few hours at the range a week.

Had the same problem as you with in ear headphones causing wax build up and maxing tinnitus worse but used them for hours a day for that to happen.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some drivers are very noisey when in the confnes of a range, I just keep to short sessions if and when I go. I don't emjoy the range for this one of many reasons.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Soft foam ear plugs nowadays don’t go down your ear very far .
You roll them up and just let them expand in your ear .
The ones we used were yellow Earex they were great.
Wearing defenders playing golf will take getting used to imo like a swing change.

We had large plugs on a thin band of plastic
They were for intermediate areas they might do so much smaller than defenders.