E scooters.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...nge-road-safety/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Summers going too be a nightmare, already lots of kids round here using roads/pavements as they please ??
Canterbury are going to be running a trial for tourists so can't see them being banned either.

Essex police posted (they have always been more strict with road offences than the met) on Facebook that get caught on them 6 points on licence for driving without insurance and getting the thing crushed

Seems backwards, we should be embracing this. Regulating them maybe require a licence or insurance but really good eco friendly transport.

Plus would reduce usage and crowding on tube for those who commute short distance

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Essex police posted (they have always been more strict with road offences than the met) on Facebook that get caught on them 6 points on licence for driving without insurance and getting the thing crushed

Seems backwards, we should be embracing this. Regulating them maybe require a licence or insurance but really good eco friendly transport.

Plus would reduce usage and crowding on tube for those who commute short distance
It may seem backwards but that's why there are trials ongoing around the country.
The results of the usage, effect on traffic, number of accidents/incidents will be analysed and if they're deemed safe enough then the legislation will follow.
Personally, I think they're a deathtrap.
The wheels are too small - go down a pothole and you're on your back at 15mph with, probably, no protection other than your clothes.
At the moment they're illegal to use in public places and as such the police should be clamping down on them.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It may seem backwards but that's why there are trials ongoing around the country.
The results of the usage, effect on traffic, number of accidents/incidents will be analysed and if they're deemed safe enough then the legislation will follow.
Personally, I think they're a deathtrap.
The wheels are too small - go down a pothole and you're on your back at 15mph with, probably, no protection other than your clothes.
At the moment they're illegal to use in public places and as such the police should be clamping down on them.

No their are trails because they are going to use them to make money ... Put out to tender hire only rather than ownership

They will only be made legal for rental , will never be approved to those that people already own

Standard

London for example full of cycle lanes which they could use. No potholes as less weight being used

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Trial scooters didn’t work well in other cities due to vandalism. Ownership will be the only valuable option if it is happening. To many rental scooters in too many rivers and canals elsewhere.

Barclays (Santander) bikes as introduced by Livingston only work because they are secured in a fixed location when not used.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely it's the way they are ridden thats dangerous rather than the scooters

Mopeds, bikes all can be dangerous when ridden by idiots

Bikes dont need a licence , insurance etc and can get e bikes now

Yet e scooter is wrong .. if they made you have a licence to use one like a bike might work

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Trial scooters didn’t work well in other cities due to vandalism. Ownership will be the only valuable option if it is happening. To many rental scooters in too many rivers and canals elsewhere.

Barclays (Santander) bikes as introduced by Livingston only work because they are secured in a fixed location when not used.

Pure litter in some countries

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They seem very popular out here in Netherlands. I'm seeing upwards of 40-50 each day. They use the cycle lanes along with mopeds and bikes. Seems to be a lot that are rental with similar branding but also some personalised ones as well. Think part of the reason that they work so well out here is because of all the cycle lanes already in place. If you can separate e-scooters from pedestrians and cars like they are here then can't see a problem with them.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Surely it's the way they are ridden thats dangerous rather than the scooters
I guess I could ride an e scooter more safely than I could ride a skateboard. But I could go out now, buy a board and hammer the pavement (mostly with my head).

I am not sure what people are objecting to. Normal scooters are on pavements. In-line skates, skateboards too.

But hoverboards are the devil, e-scooters the next bad thing. And that one wheel thing people stand in as well.

How did e-bikes get a free pass? Because people are token pedalling on it?

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
They seem very popular out here in Netherlands. I'm seeing upwards of 40-50 each day. They use the cycle lanes along with mopeds and bikes. Seems to be a lot that are rental with similar branding but also some personalised ones as well. Think part of the reason that they work so well out here is because of all the cycle lanes already in place. If you can separate e-scooters from pedestrians and cars like they are here then can't see a problem with them.
When I was out in Holland in the early to mid seventies the roads and lanes were lovely and flat with lots of space! We just haven't got that over here - too congested!

Imurg

Visit site
E-bikes are much more stable than the scooters.
It doesn't take much of a road imperfection to unbalance a scooter because the wheels are so small.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I guess I could ride an e scooter more safely than I could ride a skateboard. But I could go out now, buy a board and hammer the pavement (mostly with my head).

I am not sure what people are objecting to. Normal scooters are on pavements. In-line skates, skateboards too.

But hoverboards are the devil, e-scooters the next bad thing. And that one wheel thing people stand in as well.

How did e-bikes get a free pass? Because people are token pedalling on it?

Are those one wheel things legal? They seem a proper death trap .. do they even have brakes?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wouldn’t it help then to get people out of their cars into/into smaller vehicles?

Which in turn would mean less pot holes as roads would be less used by cars

Would help us reduce carbon footprint

Just people don't like new stuff .. just need tweeking

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/life-style/electric-scooters-dangerous-death-collision-b1866138.html?amp

Happy to see them banned - they are dangerous , someone riding one around here put a little girl in hospital, someone also caused a crash that put an OAP in hospital,

They are dangerous

By your reasoning we'd also need to ban cars. I'm sure that more than one little girl and one OAP has been put in hospital by car drivers. Same for bikes. We need to deal with the idiots that cause the problems rather than have a knee jerk reaction and ban everyone from them.

Imurg

Visit site
Which in turn would mean less pot holes as roads would be less used by cars

Would help us reduce carbon footprint

Just people don't like new stuff .. just need tweeking
As long as we have E-Ambulances to pick up the pieces when the bike lanes get flooded with scooters which then have to spill out onto the road..
New is not always better....

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As long as we have E-Ambulances to pick up the pieces when the bike lanes get flooded with scooters which then have to spill out onto the road..
New is not always better....

If new stuff like this wasn't held back we wouldn't be in such a mess climate wise.

Just stick to what we trust because it works no regards to what we been doing to get there rather than truly try and change

It's a great idea, everything is dangerous in the wrong hands..just need education

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If new stuff like this wasn't held back we wouldn't be in such a mess climate wise.

Just stick to what we trust because it works no regards to what we been doing to get there rather than truly try and change

It's a great idea, everything is dangerous in the wrong hands..just need education
Do you have one in your household by any chance