Dunlop Warwick Golf Ball

the hammer

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Whilst looking for an errant drive today (wind obviously) ,in an area recently grubbed out by our greenkeepers i could just see the top of a buried ball, dug it out and as title, a good condition number 2 ball. Seems smaller than what we use now, was just wondering how long it could have been lying there?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
it was a 1.62" ball, and is going to be 25 years or older....

still got some in the bottom of the practice bag with Penfold Aces, Dunlop 65's and a few other such balls!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
There are still some idiots at my gaff playing old small balls. They also bung them in the juniors bin. Why? Way too obsolete, and probably against the rules.

I found a brand new pts wound last year. Mint. Ok, it's the modern size, but they can't have made these for 30 years. Why limit your game? Especially since most of the professional moaners believe the biggest changes in golf over the last 20 years are in the ball.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
A good find if you were a 10 year old in 1971 ;) and I played much of my early golf with those as a lad. A real staple and in its day a decent mid price ball. A sleeve of 3 for Christmas was always welcome. Way better than Commandos.

I actually picked up a box of 6 wrapped ones at a local charity shop the other day. Nice.

The 1.62 ball is illegal for all golf these days. Rules state the diameter of the ball must not be less than 1.680 inches (42.67mm).

I believe Gary Player was the last player to win the Open using the 1.62 ball in 1974 before the pro game banned them but they were still legal for amateurs for a while after that. Bit like the new groove rule.

The 1.62 was the original size that evolved over here. The 1.68 ball was I think developed in America as it sat up better on the lush fairways on American courses. The small ball was better in the wind but that wasn't such a big factor in the US.

Interestingly there is no maximum diameter and I think TopFlite produced a slightly bigger ball (1.72?) a while back. Might even have one in my odd and ends box.

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interestingly there is no maximum diameter and I think TopFlite produced a slightly bigger ball (1.72?) a while back. Might even have one in my odd and ends box.

That'll be the TopFlite Magna then. Came across one of these in a draw at my parents a while back my dad said he still had a dozen somewhere about he was bought in the 90's but never got on with it as it was to big.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
There was also a 1.80 ball for a while, before the Magna. Compared to a 1.62, it looked like a tennis ball, and flew much the same, if I recall correctly.

The Warwick was repackaged in the 80s, I think.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i found a dunlop 65 the other day that looks almost like new.

I'm going to use it in our roll up on Saturday morning. I've hit afew before on the practice ground at Tain, cut though the wind much better, i thought.

As i've only played for 6 years it might me an experience;)

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i found a dunlop 65 the other day that looks almost like new.

I'm going to use it in our roll up on Saturday morning. I've hit afew before on the practice ground at Tain, cut though the wind much better, i thought.

As i've only played for 6 years it might me an experience;)

Careful Patrick, my friend did this with some new [old] balls he got when his grandad died. It exploded into about 30 pieces off his first drive.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Careful Patrick, my friend did this with some new [old] balls he got when his grandad died. It exploded into about 30 pieces off his first drive.

Really!!

When Tain cut all the gorse and whinn down an few years ago they found hundreds of old balls and they all got chucked onto the practice ground and got used for a while. I don't think any exploded.

They did cut though the wind so much better than a new ball really lokking forward to using it in the morning;)

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Really!!

When Tain cut all the gorse and whinn down an few years ago they found hundreds of old balls and they all got chucked onto the practice ground and got used for a while. I don't think any exploded.

They did cut though the wind so much better than a new ball really lokking forward to using it in the morning;)

I think his grandad kept them in the airing cupboard!