Dumb Question - Fade/Draw

Cragworth

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi guys, new to golf here and keep hearing and seeing players going for these shots. My question is, why not hit a straight shot at the pin, why curve the ball in the air?

lee_leggett

Head Pro
Visit site
Straight shot.. Ha ha ha, good luck with that shot. Very few players if any can hit a straight shot. Most players will move the ball from 5-35 yds draw/fade. As for the shot you play that all depends on your swing, in to out, out to in, in to in, or out to out, backwards.

Last edited:

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to have a big fade/slice, aimed about 50 yards left and it would come back a peach. Until I got injured I had changed to a draw

when I next hit the range god knows lol.

I am sure you have a typical shot shape either right to left (draw if right handed) or left to right (fade if right handed). Learn to embrace what is your natural shot as its a PITA to try and change it haha

*** note to JO etc... dont start quoting the bloody ball flight laws and all that scientific mumbo jumbo plz ;)

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think its better to know our natural shot, mines a soft fade hence the name but I know the ball will move about 5 yards left to right and knowing that allows me to be more accurate with my aiming and really helps with my short irons.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I try and hit a straight shot most of the time with my mid-short clubs.
The longer clubs....it will depend on the shot required but can also hit those straight if needed.
My theory is........
If I aim for the middle of a fairway with a straight shot with my driver, I can afford to miss it 15 yards either way and still be on the fairway.
Similarily with a 5 iron approach to the middle of a green, I have room to miss on both sides and still be on the green.
My theory also eliminates the 'double cross'

B

birdieman

To answer the OP as to 'why' do people shape shots it is to play the percentages and thereby reduce risk.
e.g. pin is tucked in back right with the green being narrow at front but bulges wider at back right, -if you go with a straight shot you only have a very small landing area short of the pin, if you come in from the right (draw shape) you're carrying trouble all the way so have to be too exact, if you move the ball left to right (fade) you have a much larger margin for error as you are flying the ball over more of the green so you have a much better chance of getting the ball close with a good shot but still be on the green and putting even with a mediocre shot. You can get the shot a bit wrong but still come out smiling!

Good risk management and therefore good course management!

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Legend goes that Ben Hogan said that a straight shot was an accident. After watching Moe Norman hit shot after shot lazer straight into the practice green he commented "Moe, just keep on hitting those accidents"