DST Compressor

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just been reading about this and it looks really interesting for training the optimum impact position. Basically it's a bowed wedge or 8-iron which encourages your hands to get into the correct position to emulate the "perfect" impact position. It's currently being used on Tour by heaps of the top players, including Jason Day and Henrik Stenson. In-fact, here's a video if Henrik using it:

[video=youtube;07Z2BCiQJFU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07Z2BCiQJFU[/video]

The idea is to get you into this position consistently:

http://www.dstgolf.com/uploads/Hogan_Ball_Impact_with_overlays.jpg

Can check it out here: http://shopuk.dstgolf.com/ It's £74.95 for the club - either a wedge or an 8 iron. What do you think? Have you used one? Have you seen anyone using them? I'm going to speak to my coach about it next time I have a lesson, as the main thing we've been working on is the impact position and improving how I use my wrists/hands through impact. So definitely worth looking at.

Soft hands

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeah Im interested in this too since I seen the Secret Tour Pro say it was the best training aid out there.

At 75 quid I'm thinking of giving it a go it's been hard to find any other opinions on this, rather than reviews that seem to say what Dst want them to unless it really is that good.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only downside I would see is that you could possibly 'cheat' by chicken-winging through impact. Would need to be done along with a camera.

Hickory_Hacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I don't see the point in practicing with a bent club.

Have you guys got the chipping yips, chunk them, thin them ... Why do you need to try out a bent club?

Henrik in that video, he's doing no more than saying don't fluff this coz they're paying you a 100k to make it look like it's not a gimmick.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah tried one myself, the wedge, my coach has been getting me to get forward shaft lean and compress the ball, but it's the most weirdest feeling taking the club back cos of the bowed shaft.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Emailed my coach about it and he emailed back saying he's got one, they're great and we'll give it a go in my next lesson. Looking forward to giving it a go!

Thought this was a good video too:

[video=youtube;mGmkumXfrik]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGmkumXfrik[/video]

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just saw one of these at the range, the 8 iron and the wedge, very weird looking, I do get flippy though so can see the Benifit, got a lesson soon so will try and use it then.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got one about a month ago. Last season I worked hard on my ball striking and improved it a lot and this club affirmed I am going in the right direction, though I know I can do better.
If you use the club correctly and utilise the etched line on the club face for alignment, it gives you an ideal impact position but at address and all you have to do is return the club to the same position at impact. It trains you to understand just how far your hands have to be ahead of the ball at impact, and I think most would be surprised. When you hit one right, you can see how a ball flies when it is hit correctly.
For me it is great. I had a very high ball flight, primarily because I flipped at impact. I never took a divot after the ball. All this robbed me of distance as well as - and most won't realise this - control.
It does feel strange to begin with. They say many sh**k when they first try it, so they advise starting with chipping and build up. I think because of my work last year, I didn't experience those problems and was hitting full shots very quickly. Once you put the club down and hit a regular iron, you definitely hit it so much better. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to improve their ball striking. Any questions just ask. Oh, and I am not affiliated to this product in any way. :D

Hickory_Hacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Emailed my coach about it and he emailed back saying he's got one, they're great and we'll give it a go in my next lesson. Looking forward to giving it a go!

Thought this was a good video too:

[video=youtube;mGmkumXfrik]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGmkumXfrik[/video]

I was gone @ 1:31

I'm curious though ... Re the golfer's that use them, has it dropped your handicap dramatically?

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Which one did you get? Also how does it train you for the driver or is it just the irons
I got the 8 iron. In my view it's a trainer for irons. Whilst it does teach you lag, I don't think you want your hands ahead of the ball when using the driver, where you need an upward stroke at impact.

WWG

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
All my clubs look like that. Do you think it may be time to buy some new ones ?

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm curious though ... Re the golfer's that use them, has it dropped your handicap dramatically?
No time for my handicap to change yet, as I only got it a month ago. We live in hope :D
However, my ball striking improved a lot last year and my handicap didn't move. The conclusion I came to was that some improvements make more difference than others. More work on chipping would make more difference to me. Those single putts make a huge dent in your score. That said, if you are straighter, longer and more consistent with your irons, it has to help.