Drop or not?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
My boyhood golf was entirely in the summer holidays on Dunaverty, a wonderful "hidden gem" in Southend, Kintyre. There were always cattle on the course then, as there were the last time I played there as the photo of some of their descendants shows. I am well acquainted with finding my ball embedded in a cowpat but alas, wee boys didn't get caddies. As country lads, though, picking a ball out of one and dichting it on the grass was nothing compared with hosing down a byre after milking time. ?

Screenshot 2022-05-22 at 06.06.30.jpg

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
On health and safety grounds, it would be sensible to get a free drop in that situation, but often golf rules are not sensible.

Which is maybe why the sensible R&A offers a sensible local rule which a Committee abounding in common sense can sensibly deploy?

Failing the sensible Committee, the sensible golfer has to take penalty relief but don't blame the rules for that.

But whatever, you still have to pick your ball out of the stuff. :poop:

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
But whatever, you still have to pick your ball out of the stuff. :poop:
It's only chewed up grass ? although that sentiment was lost on me one morning at 5.30 when No 241 decided to let loose a particularly loose stream that hit me squarely on the chest just above the milking apron in the first side of the day in a 10 10 herringbone ?