Driving without reasonable consideration

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
They've basically got you over a barrel, If you had to pay a solicitor you'd be a lot more than a £192.
If the points aren't an issue then there is no point on going further, although it looks like you've done nothing wrong going by the stills.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Heard back from the police yesterday. They have offered me the choice of a driver awareness course, 3 penalty points and £100 fine, or have my day in court.

It's a no-brainer to take the awareness course option, although it's a bit galling having to pay £92 for a three hour online course.

Those courses are fantastic learning opportunities aswell. Had one myself a few months ago for speeding

You get out what you put in. Doing it online cut down the travel time so it was 3 hours bang on not go here do course come home

Learn things you have either forgotten or have changed over the years

Amazing how many people hadn't heard of

"Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule"

Like you say £92.. no points no brainer

Will add you get no record of it..don't need to let insurance know and providing you don't do same again within 3 years that's all you will ever get from it

Basically a £92 fine with no record

Last edited:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
They've basically got you over a barrel, If you had to pay a solicitor you'd be a lot more than a £192.
If the points aren't an issue then there is no point on going further, although it looks like you've done nothing wrong going by the stills.

The points and £100 penalty is an alternative to £92 and doing the course, sorry if I didn't word that very well. I've got 3 options, not 2.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Those courses are fantastic learning opportunities aswell. Had one myself a few months ago for speeding

You get out what you put in. Doing it online cut down the travel time so it was 3 hours bang on not go here do course come home

Learn things you have either forgotten or have changed over the years

Amazing how many people hadn't heard of

"Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule"

Like you say £92.. no points no brainer

Will add you get no record of it..don't need to let insurance know and providing you don't do same again within 3 years that's all you will ever get from it

Basically a £92 fine with no record

i did the course a few years ago, one thing that stuck in my mind - there were about 20 of us in the classroom, they asked everyone to rate themselves out of 10 on how good a driver they were. The average was 8-9. They then asked us to rate the general public, the average was about 5. They then said 'so if you lot are all much better drivers than the general public, why are you here?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i did the course a few years ago, one thing that stuck in my mind - there were about 20 of us in the classroom, they asked everyone to rate themselves out of 10 on how good a driver they were. The average was 8-9. They then asked us to rate the general public, the average was about 5. They then said 'so if you lot are all much better drivers than the general public, why are you here?
Same as slow golfers. Nobody is slow if you ask them, but others are. Nobody likes to admit that they are crap/rubbish at doing stuff 😆

Personally I think you were unfairly prosecuted.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree. Unfortunately I get the impression I will only get to see the video if I contest it and plead not guilty, which could be a pretty costly route to go down.
I don't have anything to say about this particular incident, but it seems that the general principle is:

Police: "we have evidence that you have committed an offense"
You: "can I see it?"
Police: "only if you decide to deny it and risk an even greater punishment"
You: "but how can I decide whether to contest without seeing the evidence?"
Police: "trust us, we are the experts and we reckon you're guilty; challenge us at your peril"

I have long thought that some aspects of the law appear to be nothing to do with natural justice.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
View attachment 48562

View attachment 48560

got the stills through this morning. initial thoughts - pretty difficult to tell how far out from the kerb the cyclist is. I'm guessing I haven't allowed the full 1.5m (which is a guide only), but does this really show me committing an offence? I'd be interested to hear what others think.

The only thing with this that seemed to stand out was the red car forces you back into the path of the bike who's pulled out to avoid the grate

One thing for sure it's made me think twice before overtaking cyclists

Also made me happy my dash cam is there so I can check what happened before proceeding

Can't believe you can't view it

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Heard back from the police yesterday. They have offered me the choice of a driver awareness course, 3 penalty points and £100 fine, or have my day in court.

It's a no-brainer to take the awareness course option, although it's a bit galling having to pay £92 for a three hour online course.

So the police are now judge and jury?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The only thing with this that seemed to stand out was the red car forces you back into the path of the bike who's pulled out to avoid the grate

Also made me happy my dash cam is there so I can check what happened before proceeding

It's a nonsense - "we have evidence that we think shows you are guilty of an offence, but you can't see it unless you plead not guilty and leave yourself open to having to pay out a small fortune".

I'm definitely buying a dashcam!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Drove from Chepstow back to the village I live in this morning.

At least 10 Road cyclists two abreast doing 10mph up a steep hill entirely blocking the road. Long queue of traffic as no way of overtaking without being fully on the other side of the road. It appears overtaking a bike is now illegal. 😳

Maybe the loons will eventually take cars off the road entirely to allow this wonderful folk to enjoy their sport in safety?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Drove from Chepstow back to the village I live in this morning.

At least 10 Road cyclists two abreast doing 10mph up a steep hill entirely blocking the road. Long queue of traffic as no way of overtaking without being fully on the other side of the road. It appears overtaking a bike is now illegal. 😳

Maybe the loons will eventually take cars off the road entirely to allow this wonderful folk to enjoy their sport in safety?

Isn't that the point tho? Riding two a breast means you are effectively overtaking a car sized object

By such you need to be careful and go other side of the road

Treat like overtaking a tractor for speed

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wonder if when the OP takes one of the options, whether it's a fine or the course, that they can request the video footage at a later date? Would be 'nice' to see what final evidence is.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

So they’re concluding their investigation without even interviewing you? I’m absolutely stunned.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Thinking about this.
Could you use a freedom of information act to view the video?
just thinking out loud.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
On the other side of things, and not having a go at cyclists, just having a go at idiots, was passed by a cyclist yesterday in traffic on his phone with a Costa coffee rated in between his brake lever and handle bar.