Driving without reasonable consideration

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
View attachment 48562

View attachment 48560

got the stills through this morning. initial thoughts - pretty difficult to tell how far out from the kerb the cyclist is. I'm guessing I haven't allowed the full 1.5m (which is a guide only), but does this really show me committing an offence? I'd be interested to hear what others think.
I don't think this proves anything. Firstly you can't even see the bike in the pictures. Secondly, yes you only look about a metre away from him, but he also looks to be about 1.5 metres away from the kerb - should he be that far out? You can still argue that you overtook giving reasonable distance and then he veered out towards you.

My view is still that images are inconclusive. You'd need to see the video. And that video needs to start earlier, from before you overtook, so it can be seen whether he veered outwards or not.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I don't think this proves anything. Firstly you can't even see the bike in the pictures. Secondly, yes you only look about a metre away from him, but he also looks to be about 1.5 metres away from the kerb - should he be that far out? You can still argue that you overtook giving reasonable distance and then he veered out towards you.

My view is still that images are inconclusive. You'd need to see the video. And that video needs to start earlier, from before you overtook, so it can be seen whether he veered outwards or not.

I agree. Unfortunately I get the impression I will only get to see the video if I contest it and plead not guilty, which could be a pretty costly route to go down.

I'm hoping that they will offer me a driver awareness course. However I've done one before, about 7 or 8 years ago after being caught speeding. Dunno if you get the chance to do them twice?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Interesting. Given that traffic policing seems to be very thinly spread, I wonder if the most cost effective method of improving road safety would be to simply employ a few trained civilians in every force and encourage the general public to send stuff in.
I'm imagining that if we all knew that our driving was being constantly evaluated, the roads would quickly become a safer place.
I wonder if there's other country where this is done? Would be interesting to know how it works in real life.

Slightly galling this morning.

Driving to the supermarket, there are 2 cyclists riding abreast in front of me. I stay behind them for a couple of minutes, then we come to traffic lights which are at Red. I stop, and watch as they proceed to sail happily through.

I don't have a dashcam, but even if I did, there is no way of tracing a cyclist.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree. Unfortunately I get the impression I will only get to see the video if I contest it and plead not guilty, which could be a pretty costly route to go down.

I'm hoping that they will offer me a driver awareness course. However I've done one before, about 7 or 8 years ago after being caught speeding. Dunno if you get the chance to do them twice?

You can do a 2nd speed awareness course after 3 years have elapsed since your last one. This is a different (alleged) offence, so I don't know what the possibilities are in that regard.

Speed awareness courses are mostly done remotely now.....so you have to provide your own coffee and biscuits too.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting. Given that traffic policing seems to be very thinly spread, I wonder if the most cost effective method of improving road safety would be to simply employ a few trained civilians in every force and encourage the general public to send stuff in.
I'm imagining that if we all knew that our driving was being constantly evaluated, the roads would quickly become a safer place.
I wonder if there's other country where this is done? Would be interesting to know how it works in real life.
Not sure if it all turns a bit StaSi if we all send in videos of each other to the police.
But if OK, I propose a £1 'bounty' which you can collect and pay your vehicle insurance with. 'Catch' 500 people with their phone on camera and next year's insurance is basically paid for ;-)

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure if it all turns a bit StaSi if we all send in videos of each other to the police.
But if OK, I propose a £1 'bounty' which you can collect and pay your vehicle insurance with. 'Catch' 500 people with their phone on camera and next year's insurance is basically paid for ;-)

There has been some talk of exactly that! There is a guy i follow on socials who videos while cycling, his thing is catching people on their phones in traffic. He has over 10,000 convictions! (is that the right term?)

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
There has been some talk of exactly that! There is a guy i follow on socials who videos while cycling, his thing is catching people on their phones in traffic. He has over 10,000 convictions! (is that the right term?)

As much as I despise people on their phones while driving this guy needs to get a life.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
To be fair the distance from the cyclist is the only thing mentioned in the OP.
if the Police can’t get him for that should they really start looking for other things.
Things that happen thousands of times a day.

The police aren’t “looking” for anything here. A complaint has been made and it’s being investigated. I’m not going to comment on whether it’s a good use of resources (I have my views), but once an investigation is underway the investigators should consider all the facts, not just those which suit them. It’s an underpinning factor in any investigation.

In this case the oncoming car and junction have to be considered.

When passing a cyclist I am looking at them to make sure they have enough room and could miss the fact I am coming to a junction.
Technically not correct I know but understandable.

Let’s hope then that a motorist doesn’t turn left out of a junction to your offside, not expecting you to be on the wrong side of the road!! It’s not really understandable at all - it’s why overtaking on the approach to junctions is expressly referred to in the Highway Code.

sunshine

Visit site

But what are you going to do with 500 bounty bars, add them to the leftovers in your tin of celebrations?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

And on the other hand the cyclist could have already been in the middle of the lane , as is their right as he was approaching a junction , just saying ;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
And on the other hand the cyclist could have already been in the middle of the lane , as is their right as he was approaching a junction , just saying ;)
I am writing from the point of view of trying to help a forumer, not in the name of justice. Either way the pictures are inconclusive.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am writing from the point of view of trying to help a forumer, not in the name of justice. Either way the pictures are inconclusive.
I'm seeing it from the cyclist point of view and as he's received a NIP they think the picture tells a different story, we'll have to agree to disagree and await the the outcome.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
His dad was killed in a RTA. I think he has justification.
His Dad wasn’t killed by a stationary vehicle though which is what he looks for in traffic hotspots while waiting in bushes and confronts for reactions for views.

He learnt the hard way not to stand infront of cars doing what he does, hopefully he learns not to go up alongside the cars confrontationally and go back to just pointing them out silently.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
His Dad wasn’t killed by a stationary vehicle though which is what he looks for in traffic hotspots while waiting in bushes and confronts for reactions for views.

He learnt the hard way not to stand infront of cars doing what he does, hopefully he learns not to go up alongside the cars confrontationally and go back to just pointing them out silently.

I didn't say he was. It's proven that looking at your phone while in traffic is dangerous, hence it is illegal.

If you are behind the wheel, put the phone away. Full stop, no excuses.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seen a guy on a bike yesterday ,no hands texting on his phone.
Really busy road as well.
Not the best road surface either, takes some skill that and some nerve!