Driving without reasonable consideration

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I had passed a cyclist who had to take avoiding action, I would have remembered that. Same if it had been a near miss. It was 10 days ago, I know the bit of road, I can remember making the short journey (less than 5 minutes) but I do not recall anything to do with a cyclist which suggests to me nothing happened and nothing nearly happened.

i Get that, but your local plod have not sent you an intent to prosecute for nothing!! they would have reviewed it and then decided, yes, there is enough evidence to show its worth prosecuting.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Without concrete evidence, who is to say that you did pass at the 1.5m limit, then 1-2 seconds later he moved out to close the gap, thus making it illegal?
If all they send him is a still photograph, that's exactly what I'd be responding as well.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry if i am coming accross as a *** and pro cyclist (I am both!) but if anyone wants pictures of what happens when you crash a bike and a car is involved. even at slow speed, i can send a picture of my son who hit a car 3 weeks ago. Road closed for an hour, pools of blood mopped up, blues and twos on a spinal board, His helmet split open (saving his life) but he still had to have over 100 stitches in his face, just what every 14yr old wants.

This was my sons fault, the driver has no blame, but i want to show how delicate and vulnerable cyclists are. My lad was doing 5mph, the van 30mph. He cliped the side of the van... It didnt end well.

Pics of his lid just in case anyone has a thought about riding without one, oh and he is still picking glass out of his face 3 weeks later too.

You seriously dont want to see the actual pic of him he made me take, i still wake up and see it...

Please give cyclists space.

To the OP, i hope its a mistake, or a small slap on the wrist and lesson learned if not.

helmet1.jpgHelmet2.jpgHelmet3.jpgHelmet4.jpg

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
RE the legality of the video being shared, if they have shared it with police I would argue that under GDPR regulations you should be entitled to also see the evidence.

I mean in criminal law both sides have to share the evidence with one another too don't they?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
they are going to send me some stills. unless I am very close to him, I'll be contesting it.

If they can send stills, why can’t they send the video? If you are seriously intending to contest it, see a solicitor. Bear in mind it will be expensive to defend. We had a service engineer who was on 12pts, 10yrs ago-ish, when he was caught speeding again. Mr. loophole was employed. £2500 in legal fees & £1200 in fines and costs.

If the stills show you closer than 1.5m, even if it’s questionable, I’d be tempted to plead guilty.

Note, I have front & rear dash cams. They’re not expensive and make it easier to contest something like this.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If they can send stills, why can’t they send the video? If you are seriously intending to contest it, see a solicitor. Bear in mind it will be expensive to defend. We had a service engineer who was on 12pts, 10yrs ago-ish, when he was caught speeding again. Mr. loophole was employed. £2500 in legal fees & £1200 in fines and costs.

If the stills show you closer than 1.5m, even if it’s questionable, I’d be tempted to plead guilty.

Note, I have front & rear dash cams. They’re not expensive and make it easier to contest something like this.
He is the most expensive, and repulsive, in the game though. I get your point though.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you confirmed it was you driving the car - surely there has to be evidence that you were the driver to prosecute? They can’t just slap a charge on the registered owner I’d have thought?

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you confirmed it was you driving the car - surely there has to be evidence that you were the driver to prosecute? They can’t just slap a charge on the registered owner I’d have thought?

thats how it works unless you tell them someone else was driving.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the very few things in this country that you are presumed guilty unless you prove you were not driving.
Not just that but you have to tell them who was.

Like a speeding fine they do ask who was driving the car.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Could be expensive.

Clearly the bloke that got done passed far closer to the cyclist than either of the other two vehicles filmed. Personally if I'm passing a cyclist on a road like that, at that sort of speed, then I dont even try, unless I can put myself on the wrong side of the road.

But regarding the OP...I'd still want to see the full video evidence. Stills just don't tell the whole story, especially with the wide angle/fish eye nature of such cameras.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Will be interesting to see if any car driver has sent dashcam footage of cyclists jumping red lights 🤔

Some most certainly do, along with a multitude of other stupid manoeuvres that would certainly go against the recommendations of the Highway Code, if not illegal. As was pointed out earlier in the thread, there are idiots from every sector of road user.

The thing is though, with pedestrians and cyclists the consequences of a collision with a moving vehicle are much more likely to be catastrophic for them, they are the most vulnerable of all road users.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
How does passing cyclists work when there's a pack of them on a two way road? Even if you go over onto the opposite lane you're not giving them 1.5m so it's impossible to pass legally.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How does passing cyclists work when there's a pack of them on a two way road? Even if you go over onto the opposite lane you're not giving them 1.5m so it's impossible to pass legally.
So what would you do if you came across a milk float or similar slow moving vehicle?
You'd wait until it was safe to overtake and then do so.
Shirley...

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ll tell you what I do in a car and when a faster vehicle behind wants to go faster than me I allow them by slowing/stopping/hug the curb or pull in. I believe that’s the correct polite and smart thing to do.

That’s all I’m adding! 🤣

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
1.5m ain’t a lot so I’d be interested to see how you get on. Please do share the stills if you dare!
I would definitely prefer the video though. These camera people can sometimes be abit nefarious and engineer issues. Try to get minutes before and after too.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Got a letter through from the police this morning saying they are intending to prosecute me for the above.

I had no idea what it was in connection with, so I rung them to ask for some details. Turns out a cyclist has reported me for overtaking him too closely and has submitted some video footage. This apparently happened last week, but I have no recollection of anything untoward. They can't share the footage with me as "it's not their property".

I know the legal distance is you need to be at least a metre and a half outside the cyclist. I'm guessing the police must have reviewed the footage and concluded I was inside that distance?

Is there any point pleading not guilty, and what's the normal penalty for this?

What you have probably been sent is a Notice of Intended Prosecution. So no need to panic just yet.

Its purpose is to put you on notice that an allegation has been made which is being investigated. As part of that investigation you will be interviewed and asked for your account.

No decision will have been made yet to prosecute you.