Driving/utility iron recommendations

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm looking to get myself a driving/utility iron but, as with all golf equipment these days, there are so many options out there I'm looking to narrow the options down before I progress to the try-before-you-buy stage!

The obvious option would be to get the 2 iron that matches my current set (Mizuno MP20 HMB) but thought it worth asking for some ideas just in case there's a magic wand out there that I'd be missing out on.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
A lot of guys around here who once had mizuno flihi now have the srixon equivalent and swear by them, Just use an 18deg hybrid myself, I'm far more consistent with that than when I had a 2 iron in the bag.

D

Deleted member 3432

A lot of guys around here who once had mizuno flihi now have the srixon equivalent and swear by them, Just use an 18deg hybrid myself, I'm far more consistent with that than when I had a 2 iron in the bag.

I have had a Srixon u45 2 iron for years and have just put a Srixon ZX 2 iron in the bag. Brilliant clubs off the tee and fairway if you have a little speed in your swing.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks, will have a look at the Srixons.
I've got 18 and 20 degree hybrids but I'm looking at replacing the 18 with a long iron as I don't find the hybrids so consistent and I'm looking for a proper fairway finder for tight and/or windy tee shots.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've got the mizuno fli hi and its a great club but as said above you need a decent swing speed to get the best out of them

sunshine

Visit site
I have the Mizuno too and I love it - the feeling when you nail one out of the middle is lovely, it feels similar but more powerful off the face than the other normal irons (also Mizuno's but without the fli hi internal magic).

TM, Srixon and Titleist do very similar looking irons, but the Mizuno was a no brainer for me to seamlessly match the rest of my irons. Not much in it, if I had TM irons I would have bought the TM utility etc.

I tried the Cobra driving iron which really appealed to me because it has adjustable lofts, but it just felt awful when I hit it on the range.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, I managed to find the MP20 HMB 2 iron (16 degrees, gulp!) with the same shaft and grip as my other HMBs for a decent price so I took the plunge on that. Not due for delivery until November sadly but that isn't unexpected.

evemccc

Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, I managed to find the MP20 HMB 2 iron (16 degrees, gulp!) with the same shaft and grip as my other HMBs for a decent price so I took the plunge on that. Not due for delivery until November sadly but that isn't unexpected.

I have the 16 degree HMB and I love it.

It’s got such a low ball flight which is why I wanted it. The next lofted club is a 21degree 4 iron and I wanted a noticeable difference, as many brands offer 2 irons at 18/19 degrees, and I didn’t see the point as I play a 21 degree

Balls (when hit well?) go bullet straight, low with lots of run-out esp on hard fairways.

I can hook it though, and I don’t know why, but it’s become my go-to off the tee esp as I’m waiting for a driving-fitting and working through a bunch of lessons for my driver swing.

Let us know how you like it, when it arrives ??

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have the 16 degree HMB and I love it.

It’s got such a low ball flight which is why I wanted it. The next lofted club is a 21degree 4 iron and I wanted a noticeable difference, as many brands offer 2 irons at 18/19 degrees, and I didn’t see the point as I play a 21 degree

Balls (when hit well?) go bullet straight, low with lots of run-out esp on hard fairways.

I can hook it though, and I don’t know why, but it’s become my go-to off the tee esp as I’m waiting for a driving-fitting and working through a bunch of lessons for my driver swing.

Let us know how you like it, when it arrives ??
Low and lots of run is exactly what I'm after so here's hoping. I used to have an issue hooking my irons when I really went after them but a set of x-stiff shafts has sorted that out with 4-PW so hopefully will do the same for the 2 iron.