Driving miles right

Stew

Hacker
Visit site
Afternoon

Needs some help please - When I am hitting my driver they are going miles right, any thoughts as to what I am doing wrong....Obviously without seeing my swing it may be a bit difficult but can you give me some tips please.

I am now at a stage where I am scared to swing, and all I end up doing is scooping the ball up in the air 50 yards.

Thanks

Adjani

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If there going straight right off the tee, your either aiming there, get someone to check your alignment (easy to fix)

Or if you alignment is ok, make sure you hitting through the ball along your target line, not at the ball, harder to fix.

Just a couple of suggestions

The value of the information in this post may go up or down :eek:

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are they going straight right, or slicing?

When you miss greens with your irons, what is the normal bad shape? How far forward are you having the ball in your stance?

Important to work out if it's a push or not.

Stew

Hacker
Visit site
Sorry, my mistake - Slicing rather than straight right.

Irons are ok - However last season I was sh*nking them and driving ok. I am wondering if I concentrated so much on them I have let my driving go?

Adrena1in

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My tendency is to slice my drives, and the main reason is I leave the clubface lagging behind my wrists because I haven't released them yet, and the clubface is therefore way open. I can hit a drive 200 yards forward and 80 or 90 yards right if I slice it badly. Yet with my irons I'm tending to hit a natural draw.

Videoing your swing is going to be the best thing, so that the experts on here can give you the best advice. But when I start slicing my driver it's often simpy because I'm trying to hit it too hard. I *never* try and crush any iron shots, and the times I just try to swing through the ball with my driver are invariably the times I'll hit it straight and over 250 yards.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
A slice is caused by having an 'open' club face on impact. If you can manage to square the club face relative to the swing plane on impact (90 degrees) the ball will go straight down that swing plane, wether that be a pull, push or straight shot. If you swing down the target line, but imagine your club face pointing to 1 o'clock on the clock face at impact, this will impart a slice spin on the ball, depending on how far 'open', depends how much slice. A draw or hook works the same way but with a 'closed' club face.

I tend to slice the ball when trying to hit it to hard, and don't hit though the ball, in effect leaving my hands open, and consequently the club face open.

Hope this helps

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Something like this

cure12.jpg