Driving license

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don’t carry mine as I still have an old paper one. Does anyone else still have a paper licence?

Kept my paper licence as long as I could. At the time, I think I saw it as some sort of badge of honour!

"Pffft, got one of those new fangled card ones have you?! You young whippersnapper, you! I've been driving long enough to have a paper one!" :rolleyes::D

Eventually I had to get a card one for some reason. It's infinitely more convenient and is a very useful form of photo ID. Have utilised it for that reason on countless occasions! Don't think I've ever used it as proof that I'm allowed to drive though. :D

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Eventually I had to get a card one for some reason. It's infinitely more convenient and is a very useful form of photo ID. Have utilised it for that reason on countless occasions! Don't think I've ever used it as proof that I'm allowed to drive though. :D
I passed this year, and they took the photo from my provisional license, which I had re-renewed a couple of times over the last decade, and the photo for that was taken from my old passport photo, in which I was about 19 years old I think. So I'm 35 now and my driving license has a picture of me aged 19. I still use it for ID though, I'm not sure people look that closely. :LOL:

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I passed this year, and they took the photo from my provisional license, which I had re-renewed a couple of times over the last decade, and the photo for that was taken from my old passport photo, in which I was about 19 years old I think. So I'm 35 now and my driving license has a picture of me aged 19. I still use it for ID though, I'm not sure people look that closely. :LOL:

But legally u have to update the photo every 10 years ? And has to be a recent photo signed for does it not?

Edit I see the online option with passport now lol brilliant could be years old.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t carry mine as I still have an old paper one. Does anyone else still have a paper licence?

I used to then found out the limitations when it comes to having courtesy cars and similar.

Mine needed replacing anyway as the old one went through the washing machine and I was only allowed to get a replacement as a photo licence.

Once you reach 70 you have to have a new licence and I would think the DVLA insist on a photo licence .

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, I've still got mine in it's original plastic holder, in the bottom of a drawer. No endorsements or penalty points in almost 50 years of motoring and never been stopped by the polis. (I hope I'm not tempting fate!)

If it has been in the bottom of the draw for years an you have held a licence for nearly 50 years have you checked the expiry date?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you have a valid licence, insurance certificate and MOT, you're unlikely to be asked to physically produce them these days.
They'll be able to verify their existence at the roadside using technology that's been around for a couple of decades.
How will they know you are who you say you are.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not really sure why the colour of a passport matters? Renewed mine last year and it came in a rather pretty burgundy colour. As long as it gets me into where I want to go ...

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Am I ( misguided ) right in thinking that these are produced in France??

Yes. They’re designed in France and made in Poland by a French-Dutch company. We’ve truly taken back control!

My lucky 10 year old daughter has one. It won’t automatically allow her to live and work in any other country like her stupid old burgundy one did. But hey, it’s blue!!!

PS. They aren’t blue anyway. They look black.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
So if someone is pulled over for whatever reason - speeding, uninsured etc, how does the copper verify who the person is (assuming they don’t have an ID on them?)

I was pulled over near Xmas time and wasn't carrying my license, they ran my details through their tablet thing and my dvla photo and details came up on screen so they were able to confirm it was me, they also took a photo of me in case I tried to claim it wasn't me they pulled over later down the line.

In my younger days I used to sometimes drive my mates car (he had a brand new BMW whilst we were all kicking about in old Peugeots etc), the thinking being if we got pulled over we had the same birthday, knew his addressand looked quite similar so would get away with it as my friend could just take his license into a station a week later. No way you could get away with that nowadays!