Driving iron choices

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I’m looking at getting a driving iron but being an awkward bugger who stands on the other side of the ball my choices are limited.

at the moment there are 2 2 irons on a well known auction site. One is a callaway the other taylormade and they have the same shaft.

has any one tried them both? If so which did you prefer?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
seriously, I've tried them all and the Srixon zu65 blows them all clean out the water. its almost cheating as its that easy to hit

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

Might need to wait til jan for the 2iron version of the zu65 to hit the shops

MuiraKing

Visit site
Ordered myself a new 2 iron in the week after a visit to Golf Principles in Basingstoke. Tried the Srixon Z U65, Mizuno but went for the new PXG. Now it may have left a big hole in my wallet but it is an absolute cannon. The face is so hot and low spinning if you get the right shaft you can hit it as far as a 3 wood! Had to have it 1 degree higher to make sure that it filled the yardage gap in the bag. I’d take a serious look at this club before you buy anything

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
seriously, I've tried them all and the Srixon zu65 blows them all clean out the water. its almost cheating as its that easy to hit

Been thinking of swapping my T-mb 3 iron for a srixon one. The t-mb is amazing off the tee and pretty much always finds fairway. It’s just hard to hit of the deck compared to my long irons.

The 545 4 iron I have is a bullet so I was hoping the zu45 or 65 would follow suit.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a 3 and a 4. The 3 is a srixon zu65 and the 4 is a Titleist t_mb , both are great. The srixon had the larger head and looks the easiest to hit.

eastwoodclint

Hacker
Visit site
I'm a lefty and picked up a new Taylormade 2 UDI Rsi TP recently off ebay. It's got a C-taper lite stiff shaft.

Hit a few balls at the range with it but not loving it, and I'd be willing to get rid of it if you are interested. I know the pain in looking for lefty clubs...

badgergm

Visit site
As a RH I use a TM Speedblade 3 iron. It has loft of 17, shaft length 39.5, therefore equivalent to others' 2 iron. Easy to hit and long. Only issue I have is that I hit it high - would love something that i hot lower to use into the wind.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i just got one of the new Mizuno MP18 flihi.. its says 3 on it, but effectively its a 2 iron as it had 19 deg of loft. same shaft as my irons, goes like a bullet. PP asked me yesterday why i had two 3irons in the bag.

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had the Callaway X type Utility Driving Iron in 21 Degree and that club flew, great penetrating ballflight when I caught it well (about 4/10 times with it) and great distance with it.

Changed it over for the Ping G Crossover as wanted something easier and so far so good, great distance but much higher ballflight. It’s almost impossible to hit badly from the tee. Still need to give it a few rounds of course rather than mat at the driving range.

chor808

Hacker
Visit site
I have two of the dynacraft ones however looks like they do not do a left handed version, for right handers looking they are cheap and very easy to hit.

chor808

Hacker
Visit site
How do you get on with the Dynacraft? I’ve got the 18 degree one from Nordica golf

I got the 21 and 23 degree. I ended up changing the shaft on the 21 to extra stiff as it was too soft. I like them, I've not tried other driving irons so I can't compare. I'm not bad with an iron so I can hit them both a good distance off the tee and I use them both off the grass too. A few people have tried mine and like them also. They are much easier to hit than a normal 2 or 3 iron for sure. Even off center hits go pretty well, a few times I've hit one grumbled to myself about what a bad shot only to find playing partners saying what a good drive. Rest of my game is rubbish sadly.

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Srixon Z U65 2 iron with an X100 shaft in it - lad hits it up to 245 yds - so disheartening to see it go past or equal to my driver strikes ......

Seriously, just try as many as you can, one will suit you more - buy that one - will get votes in favour of all of them on here.