Driving in the wind

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing links golf tomorrow and wind looking like 20 mph.

We're all taught height is our friend with driving but guessing I should maybe change that a bit. What's the idea just tee it lower and feel more as if hitting down? Swing it easier same as irons?

Does set up stay the same?

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site

We're all taught height is our friend with driving but guessing I should maybe change that a bit. What's the idea just tee it lower and feel more as if hitting down? Swing it easier same as irons?

Tee height is a myth in my eyes, I can hit a stinger off an orange castle tee.
To simply put it, you need to shallow your swing out (as flat as you can). You don't need to hit down on it, as that will have the complete opposite effect.
Regards to swing, I don't swing quite as hard but still complete a good full swing but really try to deliver the club head as neutral and flat THROUGH the ball as I can.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Agree with lump. if you hit up on your driver, then hitting level rather than up with lower the launch. Not killing it will also keep the spin down.

It can be hard to fight a natural instinct to try to hit it harder into the wind but you should try to make a concerted effort to middle it more than kill it.

Hope that makes sense. all easier said than done.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

Set up the same , don't try and murder it when hitting into the wind. When you can around the greens use a bump and run 7iron instead of high wedges.Forecast good tomorrow , enjoy :thup:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Same swing, same ball position.

Swing about 80% to take the spin off, you will recoup some distance.

Teeing it down and back will move your driver to an hittable loft or just add more spin.

Its counterintuitive but it works "Swing slower to hit further in windy conditions."

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Agree with comments above.
Hitting down hard will add more spin and have an adverse effect.

One of the clichés from my early golfing days was "swing with ease into the breeze", keeps the spin down and works.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
normal position, swing easy, grip the clubs softer.

played in 60mph gusts today, one of the guys i play with hits the ball very high and loses little distance into the wind.. but then he is off +1