Driving help.

Carbon

Club Champion
Visit site
my problem is that i cant seem to hit straight with the driver, im constantly getting spin on it and sending it right, its the only club i do it with?

ive tried 3 different drivers and i do the same with all 3 so the problem is me! what can i do? its quite frustraiting when im constantly teeing off with a 1 wood.

driver i currently have in the bag is a dunlop 65i X 11.5 450cc? with what i assume is a graphite shaft.

at my disposal i also have

TaylorMade R580 9.5 flex s
dunlop 65i X 11.5 450cc steel shaft
dunlop 65i X 10.5 450cc steel shaft
Dunlop MXII 10.5 steel shaft
slazenger K1 speed 10 graphite shaft?

what club do you reccomend of the above and what do i do about my swing?

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
You said it yourself- it's not your club so don't worry about that.

During my first lesson, my instructor took a video of my swing. I reckon an hour lesson with an instructor and a week down the range would sort you out. Cheaper than any 'miracle driver'.

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like I have the same issues. I was spending more time recovering from the rough rather than looking forward to a nice fairway shot and looked very negatively at pulling the driver out of my bag. At the range I discovered my weight was too far back making me very flat footed. I moved my weight forward and slowed everything down, from my setup to backswing then downswing. I also checked the club face with the shaft at 90deg to the floor to make sure it was facing forward.

I pretty big change in one go but the ball was going straight. Not every time as old habits try to creep back in and a few shots went astray but I was very happy on the whole. I'm back at the range tomorrow night to see if things are going well before committing to a round.

What works so far for me might not help you but for me setup and control is my new priority which I honestly think will stand my in good stead.

As for your driver, a personal thought and I may be corrected but use the taylormade and ditch the budget drivers. If the slazenger has a regular graphite it may be worth keeping but not the Loppies

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Lower loft exaggerates the effect of side-spin, so the 11.5 would reduce that effect.

Of course, actual lofts are rarely exactly what the manufacturers state and they can be considerably different!

Stiffer shafts generally (but definitely not always) also tend to have a similar effect - they have to be swung faster to get the same whip effect so swing faults/effects that produce side-spin are magnified. Steel tends to be naturally stiffer than graphite, so the one in your bag currently seems to be best overall! The K1 Speed might be a candidate too - Sam Torrance loved it!
The R580 is probably one to avoid at the mo - could well be non-conforming too (the grooves on the face identify which is/isn't).

Could be worth trying only a half to 3/4 swing to get some control first. Or, better still, some lessons!

Good Luck

Carbon

Club Champion
Visit site
thanks for the help/advice. il go do the range after work tomorrow and try a few things out. i cant get any worse after all!

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A simple bit of advice I was given, which worked for me, was to tee the ball higher (I now use the pink tees) and move it further left in my stance.
Someone earlier suggested easing up a bit. For some reason I can only hit my driver at full tilt, if I try and back off it goes horribly wrong, but mine has a stiff shaft which may explain that away.

Carbon

Club Champion
Visit site
i use quite a high tee anyway i know they are orange or yellow but i didnt know colours had anything to do with length!

i went down the range after work today with the slazenger and the TM, the slazenger feels so nice, hitting smothly and straight! not great distance i dont think but i dont care, id rather be hitting a longer fairway shot than a closer rough :).

its a ultra light R flex if that means anything to people?

i also put more weight on my front of my foot than standing more flat footed, felt much nicer aswel. so many thanks for all the help again guys!