drivers

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i starting to get the urges to upgrade/renew my driver. I basically used it learnt to play and its had a bit of a dogs life but its brought me moments of joy and dispear haha

Just wondering what would be anyones advice on pointing me a direction to go?

Ive tried my mates 9* R11 and really couldnt get on with. Not sure why but i see my self leaning towards the titleist 910 or a ping g20. Im guessing with a driver its more about the shaft being correct as apose to the club head as due to the rules im guessing apart from looks they are similar?

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Connor, I use the same irons as you, I did a test last year for XYZ magazine, i hit every new driver on the market. (bar titleist as they didnt want to play)

I currently use a R11 with a stiff shaft. If i were buying a new one today i would go and re test the following:

Callaway Razr X Black
R11S
Ping i20
Dunlop NZ9 - yes really!

As you can see, a right old mix from sub £100 to £300+ for the R11!! All of these were 10.5 degree or as close to this as they make. Average distance on the range at belfry was 265-280 ish. (the range is uphill! Rarr!!) and dispersion on these 4 were tight (ie 20ft ish)

For me, these were the best performing, with my swing speed i am bordering on XStiff shaft, and as you say the shaft is key. I tested all of these with their stock stiff shafts and they performed best. Personally, i didnt get on with the G20, i cant tell you why, it just didnt "feel" right. Drivers are a lot like putters in my opinion, that "x factor" of feel, sound, weight etc can not be summarized easily.

Go to a decent AG/DG or your local pro who has good stocks and try as many as you can! but i would deffo have a go with the ones i have listed if you can.

I hope that helps, keep us posted on what you do!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well, I have just been to a GM/Titleist freebie, so you may call me biased, but the Titleist 910 is an attractive option now that it will be reducing in price with the introduction of the 913. It comes with a nice choice of high quality standard shafts too. In my opinion, it is a superior option to the G20 because of the flexibility and options.

The RBZ is due for an update soon, so if you really want one of those, make sure you get a good deal. The standard shaft is not very good, by the way.

I don't blame Titleist for 'not wanting to play' as Connor puts it. The differences between one shaft and another, or different settings are pretty big and needs some fitting. Titleist consider this as a job for the expert fitter rather than the player twiddling with it himself.

A

Alex1975

I have lusted after a 910D for years, now the 913 is on its away all I can see is the 913... I may have to save up for a full fitting!