driver woes

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all, been pretty inconsistent with the big stick recently. At the range at the weekend and was skying everything, so figured I was too steep and getting ahead of the ball.

Tonight everything was either going low and swerving left or low and straight? I think I am closing the face at impact, but what is happening with my swingpath and weight transfer that would cause this flight?

If this keeps up I will need to change my username

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
You could be getting stuck and flipping the club at the last minute hence low hooks? Happened to me a while back as I wasn't clearing my left hip so stood very open to get the feel of the left hip being cleared and fixed it (thanks Bob & James)...

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You could be getting stuck and flipping the club at the last minute hence low hooks? Happened to me a while back as I wasn't clearing my left hip so stood very open to get the feel of the left hip being cleared and fixed it (thanks Bob & James)...

thanks for reply - i am thinking that as my usual shot is if anything a fade - particularly with Driver or that and i have crept round to a closed stance. The other thing that has happened over time is my grip has got stronger. My main concern is i think my weight shift - are sky balls and low hookey shots related to same fault or is there a few things going on?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Sky and low shots are both related to a steep swing and a reduction in loft. Try and sweep the club into the ball just a little more.

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sky and low shots are both related to a steep swing and a reduction in loft. Try and sweep the club into the ball just a little more.

Thanks, would the steepness come from me moving towards the target and hitting down then as opposed to hanging back and throwing my arms at the ball.

Nb - any thoughts/drills to promote shallower swing plane please?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure if it will help but I tee the ball off the big toe of my left foot but have the club at the centre of my stance so approx 6-8 inches away from the ball, slight tilt to the right and swing. My driving has come on 10 fold, my distances are up and most of all a lot straighter

before this I was guilty of skying the ball every other drive or even worse topping one 10 yard. It also caused the odd hook/pull left as my shoulders were wide open as moving the club behind the ball forces the shoulders slightly left.

I am no expert however and this is just something that works for me.

this is the vid that prompted me (its one of his older ones so not HD lol)
[video=youtube;u68RZjdnVMs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u68RZjdnVMs[/video]

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I still hit the odd duffer but when I set up right as per this vid I flush a hell of a lot more and have added 30 yards at least due to the better strike (and the tm r1 driver which is longer and straighter by design of course)

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not sure if it will help but I tee the ball off the big toe of my left foot but have the club at the centre of my stance so approx 6-8 inches away from the ball, slight tilt to the right and swing. My driving has come on 10 fold, my distances are up and most of all a lot straighter

before this I was guilty of skying the ball every other drive or even worse topping one 10 yard. It also caused the odd hook/pull left as my shoulders were wide open as moving the club behind the ball forces the shoulders slightly left.

I am no expert however and this is just something that works for me.

this is the vid that prompted me (its one of his older ones so not HD lol)
[video=youtube;u68RZjdnVMs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u68RZjdnVMs[/video]
thanks Gibbo, its funny because i have done this in the past and like you say if you ground driver at ball your right shoulder comes forward and buggers up your alignment! Not sure why i stopped doing it though? I will give it another bash when next playing.
cheers

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
thanks Gibbo, its funny because i have done this in the past and like you say if you ground driver at ball your right shoulder comes forward and buggers up your alignment! Not sure why i stopped doing it though? I will give it another bash when next playing.
cheers

Hi, wee update on the driver. I tried setting up at address with driver in middle of stance and got to say my driving was the best it's been. I also worked on my alignment as I had got become too closed to the target. I did hit one bad drive (slice) at the 15th and one of my playing partners pointed out that 'it was because I had a big gap between the ball and the club head'. I reminded him I had been doing it all round, out hitting him to boot and its the first time you've mentioned it.

Anyway, thanks to Gibbo for tip

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi, wee update on the driver. I tried setting up at address with driver in middle of stance and got to say my driving was the best it's been. I also worked on my alignment as I had got become too closed to the target. I did hit one bad drive (slice) at the 15th and one of my playing partners pointed out that 'it was because I had a big gap between the ball and the club head'. I reminded him I had been doing it all round, out hitting him to boot and its the first time you've mentioned it.

I have been struggling a bit with my driving hitting blocks to the right, I tried this at the weekend and wow what a difference it really is a great tip. Glad it worked well for you

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I may be wrong and it may be a simple point, but, most of the bad drives I see when playing with others is when they clearly can't have seen the ball struck off the tee.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site

Classic case of golf mis-information.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
This seems like a very sensible video. Can't wait to try it out at the range today.

Although I'll experiment with it, maybe James could help with this question;

Should the club handle still be a touch forward with left hip out a bit?

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
HOLY JEBUS!!!!!

Well- that worked. That worked very well.

Always had a problem with the driver. As a Stack and Tilter I tend to chop down on the ball with great effect with my irons and shocking effect with the driver.

I struggle to keep my head behind the ball, I hit skied drives a-plenty....

Hit 80 or so balls with the driver today using this set up.

LOTS of snap hooks to start with. Got better results when I set up the club a little in front of the ball to encourage an in-to-out path to counter the hook. Problem was that I was still not hitting the ball in the middle of the clubface.

As a S&T player, I generally set up with my handle pushed forward. Got rid of that and BOOOM- I hit my first EVER drive with the RBZ out the middle of the face. Feels nice!

Moved the club back in line with the ball and hit shot after shot after shot dead straight, with the occasional hook.

Didn't slice or sky the ball once. Not once in 80 balls.

That's good to know and now I can aim a little right if there's a lot of danger down the left hand side on a hole.

HAPPY BOY!!!

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Channeling my inner Mark Crosfield, where on the club face are you striking it? I've found when I hit a bad drive its more often than not due to a bad strike.