driver woes

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Interesting! My driver is causing me no end of problems at the moment with big, high slices which I am struggling to control even with lessons.

Having played today I decided to stick it back in the cupboard for a while and just play with hybrids as it's just costing me too many shots.

I'll go down the range and give this a go though and see if it helps at all before banishing the big stick!

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went to the range again and started slicing using this method. Really had to concentrate on my alignment and be confident in the setup as I found that my club was straying towards the ball a bit.

Forced into the middle of the stance and starting thwacking the ball really well again.

Loving it!

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
that was my problem on Sunday at 1st, not concentrating on setup thinking I had cracked it after a couple of rounds and range sessions.... wrong!

Off to the range later to sort my tempo out with irons, everythig else is smooth but irons I just can;t stop whacking at 150mph!

Keep it up Virtuocity, it will be 2nd nature in no time ;)

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
that was my problem on Sunday at 1st, not concentrating on setup thinking I had cracked it after a couple of rounds and range sessions.... wrong!

Off to the range later to sort my tempo out with irons, everythig else is smooth but irons I just can;t stop whacking at 150mph!

Keep it up Virtuocity, it will be 2nd nature in no time ;)

I'm having the opposite problem at the moment, the irons have got a nice tempo and hitting them reasonably well, the driver however is losing the plot and seems quick even when I concentrate!! Very frustrating.

Chris1980

Head Pro
Visit site
Good video. Is anyone gona stick with this technique though? Not 100% sure itd work for me as ive it in my head the club should be right behind ball before swinging. Definitely wana give it a try though!

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good video. Is anyone gona stick with this technique though? Not 100% sure itd work for me as ive it in my head the club should be right behind ball before swinging. Definitely wana give it a try though!

I was one week away from giving up on the driver for at least a year. Now I'm excited about the big stick again. It's a KEEPER.

However, I spoke briefly with the Head Pro and my club and she said that she understands the set up as part of a drill but wouldn't advocate using it all the time.

She also was saddened to hear I use Stack and Tilt :(:(:(:(:(:(

Why must I be so different from the norm!?!?!?!?

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tried this set up this morning. Definitely helps to line shoulders up. Hit more down the middle but felt sacrificed a little distance. Having said that prefer extra consistency. Will keep playing with along with looking at my shoulder alignment for the more usual setup.

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I might look at this but forgive me for being cynical but if its that effect why havnt I seen all the big boys doing it?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
cos they are better than us :p

bare in mind your not trying to hit the ball, you are just making a swing and the ball is getting in the way. I find this stops me going after the ball.

I guess after a while you could move the club forward slightly until at a standard address. Personally I find it gives me a much better strike and have gained distance rather than lose any. Horses for courses though :thup:

shooboo

Medal Winner
Visit site
Not sure if it will help but I tee the ball off the big toe of my left foot but have the club at the centre of my stance so approx 6-8 inches away from the ball, slight tilt to the right and swing. My driving has come on 10 fold, my distances are up and most of all a lot straighter

before this I was guilty of skying the ball every other drive or even worse topping one 10 yard. It also caused the odd hook/pull left as my shoulders were wide open as moving the club behind the ball forces the shoulders slightly left.

I am no expert however and this is just something that works for me.

this is the vid that prompted me (its one of his older ones so not HD lol)
[video=youtube;u68RZjdnVMs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u68RZjdnVMs[/video]

This video might have just saved me from chucking in the towel when it comes to driving. I'm ruining my brand new RBZ driver cos I'm putting golf ball marks on the top of the club and it ALWAYS goes right, but I think it's because I am facing the ball despite it being left of my stance. I am going to try Clements tip but I feel positive this is the fix. So thank you for posting!

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Glad this thread has been bumped. I shall be giving this a whirl one night this week.

I'll never bin my driver I'll simply aim left and watch it fade/slice back into the fairway...accept when I get it right and have to play my 2nd across not one, but two fairways :D