Driver Woes

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm no expert but your set up from behind looks OK to me. Could you film from another angle - i.e at right angles to you?

I would say your problems may stem from your grip or your clubface alignment. Maybe even your shaft.

There, I think I've cleared that up for you.....

jjames

Medal Winner
Visit site
Lol yeh crystal clear! I'll try and get another angle up when it gets light again. Was never fitted for the shaft so it could be that. Any drills to stop pulling it?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree, it's a very good swing.
I dont think it's a grip problem as the clubface is fairly neutral at the top (a touch open if anything)

I suspect it's a rotational problem.
You fear the hook, so you stop the body turning.
It's a common fault amongst good players.
The body stops turning, the hand and arms flip passed you and it shoots left.

Below you will see you at address on the left and just prior to impact on the right. The hips haven't cleared out of the way making the swing very armsy. Compare to some of the guys on tour and you will see their hips have cleared 45 degrees at impact.

Photo0rty.jpg

Keep turning through the ball and the hook will stop, and check the grip as well.

HTH

jjames

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the tips bobmac. Yeh nothing is as clear as when the image is frozen! Do you know any drills that can be implemented to help with hip clearance? Generally I'm pretty good with my irons and don't tend to have this problem, I will try and get both iron and driver swings to compare.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The problem normally comes from sliding the hips to the right on the backswing. The golfer then has to slide them back to the left on the downswing, therefor not turning.
Try and make sure you turn on the backswing and not sway and then unwind the hips through impact.

Make sure you try it on the range first as you may lose a few out to the right to start with :D

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Make sure you try it on the range first as you may lose a few out to the right to start with :D

I'm not sure the word "few" quite does it justice Robert me Old Mucker!!!

This is me - all the way. Swaying all over the place. I know I'm doing it but can I stop....???????????

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

I'm not sure the word "few" quite does it justice Robert me Old Mucker!!!

This is me - all the way. Swaying all over the place. I know I'm doing it but can I stop....???????????

What drills have you tried to stop swaying?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
The problem is that after the backswing, he starts the downswing before his stomach has finished moving towards the left.

the resulting tripe boogie is enough to make anyones swing wobble

I love him really

Fragger :eek:

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having shoes on might have helped!! Seriously i have the same problem and Bob recommended driving the right knee to the left on the downswing to get the hips turning. If i remember to do it, it usually works :)