Driver woes.... still

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
have taken the driver out of the bag as my 3 wood is going further and more controllable. The trouble is I lack that extra length off the tee that a driver could give me

I measured my best 3 wood today and it came up around the 230 mark, I was pleasantly surprised (yeah I know thats crap compared to most of you)

My driver averages around 220-240 (on a good day and thats probably 1 out of 10 lately), I have never been able to fully leather one out there

Now I know the stiff shaft is too much for me and possibly being a 'tour' model its probably too unforgiving, also 10.5 degree maybe not helping?

Should I just crack on using my 3 wood and when I have a few bob go for a proper fitting or persevere up the range until I sort it (and a lesson also)

see I may have shot a PB but still plenty of issues with the Gibbs swing/bag :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would persevere with the driver! As a 28 handicap you can’t go up any higher, so stick with it a learn to use the thing.:)

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I just cant do it

not sure if its the mahoosive head, longer shaft, mental or what (probably all 3). 3 wood I was drawing a peach & just felt confident swinging it. Tried the same approach with driver and nah... bananaman powerfade.

Bloody thing!!!!!!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You have to describe the flight fully, starting direction, how much curve, were you lined up straight, what shape were you trying to play, were you trying to hit up on the ball...... and then say what you did (set up wise) to try and achieve the ball flight you wanted..............

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Funny you should mention this.

Mine has been indifferent now for, well, since I took up the game (2010)

Was OK'ish last weekend, been the range tonight and couldn't hit a cows arse with a spade!!

The main difference between our situations, I suppose, is my course is absolutely tiny. It's very tight mind, but still not massive. I can only take driver, comfortably on about 3 or 4 holes without getting into too much trouble so I'm seriously considering dropping it all together in favor something else, maybe a 3 wood for more control.

Still haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning towards it.

Not sure how this helps you, other than you're not alone my friend. :thup:

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
only the shaft is different Bob, driver is a graffaloy axis stiff (I think as its in the boot at the mo), the 3 wood is a aldila voodoo rvr6

for JO's enquiry.

As you know I am trying to do s&t, mostly I am just doing the shaft lean and weight 55/45 or even 60/40 and then finishing with the weight forward. I can;t do it with the driver for some reason and am still coming on the inside. Ball flight is either very low maybe 20ft off the gound with a slight fade or quite high, straight but short.

What did work with the 3 wood was opening the stance slightly, aiming right (to allow for the draw or the odd straight pull) but felt a lot easier to swing in to out and so I felt a lot more confident doing so

the driver just felt bloody awful from address to finish. Will put some extra range time in and see if I can find a bit of middle ground, I fear a new regular shaft or even an 11.5 regular on the shopping list :)

Last edited:

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i am also in the cant hit a driver for toffee camp. Hence Im looking at 3 woods at the moment, partly cos i want one anyway but also in the hope it will give me more control off the tee

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
For any swing change the driver will be the last to drop in. It takes time. As you become more comfortable with your swing, the driver will come. Give it a rest on the course, but practice with it. In a few weeks, you'll be fine,

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
cheers Murph, it makes sense as it was the last club I would even use at the start

just bloody frustrating, the mind knows but the body refuses ;)

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Funny I'm the other way round. Have droped the 3 wood never had one I like. But this Driver is great. So just driver and 5 wood now. Put an extra wedge in when I get one I think. Only have PW&SW.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
For the first season and a half I didnt have a driver in the bag, it just wouldn't play ball. It was 3 wood off the tee everytime. Now half a season further on its my go to club. If I start hitting my driver well everything drops into place. Its such a confidence booster getting off the tee.
Stick with it. Do you have any videos of your driver swing?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
To be honest im not a fan of this "stick with it attitude", golf is about confidence, and if you have 100% faith in your 3 wood stick with it, especially if your slapping it 230 yards. most par4's seem to be around 400 yards, and at 230 with a 3wood, your only ever going to be a 6iron at most away from the green.

I started playing golf as a kid (15-18) and being totally honest i couldnt git a driver, i used a 3w off the tee too. My starting HC was 29 i think, and i come down to below 20 in my first full year, with my lowest being 11 still with no driver, Off 28 you have a load of shots to use, why waste them hacking from the cabbage.

Build some faith with the swing, enjoy your golf and get some cuts, 230 yards off the tee is plenty. :thup:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
To be honest im not a fan of this "stick with it attitude", golf is about confidence, and if you have 100% faith in your 3 wood stick with it, especially if your slapping it 230 yards. most par4's seem to be around 400 yards, and at 230 with a 3wood, your only ever going to be a 6iron at most away from the green.

I started playing golf as a kid (15-18) and being totally honest i couldnt git a driver, i used a 3w off the tee too. My starting HC was 29 i think, and i come down to below 20 in my first full year, with my lowest being 11 still with no driver, Off 28 you have a load of shots to use, why waste them hacking from the cabbage.

Build some faith with the swing, enjoy your golf and get some cuts, 230 yards off the tee is plenty. :thup:

You've just pretty much echo'd what my old fella said to me tonight, apart from the bit about your handicap (obviously).

I used my driver 4 times in my last outing. Hit 2 fairways, the other 2 were duffs into the rough. I may just try it for a couple of weeks and see how I score.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The driver is my nemesis but I wouldn't consider dropping it. Its knowing where and when you can take it and whether you can get away with a bad one. I'm wondering if youa re trying too hard with it and either trying to steer it to keep it straight or trying to lash it and swinging to hard and too fast