DRIVER VS. HYBRID

Jhatpro

Visit site
I’m hitting my 17 degree hybrid farther off the tee than my driver. Could one of the reasons be the hybrid is 5 inches shorter than the driver and, as a result, enables more speed. If so, could I get more driver distance just by choking down on it?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Its possible that build quality and performance capability of each club could contribute to/narrow the difference in shot length (cheapo driver V top of the line hybrid) but much more likely it’s gonna be down to the player ability to use/maximise each club

its often said by golfers that "I can hit my 3w or 5w as far as my driver" but is it likely you're able to get your 3w to 'overperform' or is it more likely the you're not getting the most you can out of the driver?

(Also the shorter the club the slower the clubhead speed will be)

Jhatpro

Visit site
Both clubs are high quality. The driver is a new PXG and the hybrid is a Ping G25. The issue must be my swing mechanics. Or maybe it’s just because I’m 81.

incidentally, I played nine this week with a young neighbor who shot a 34 with 275 foot dead straight drives and every green in regulation.

Ah, sweet bird of youth!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Ok so it won't be the driver (could still be partially if the driver shaft is not suited to your swing e.g too light/whippy, too heavy/stiff etc) but if its off the shelf it should work well enough
As you say most likely to be the swing and other far more knowledgeable folks will doubtless help when they log in later today and read your post

If possible post a video of your swing for them to look at but if you don't have that if you can describe the usual ball flight and direction etc when using driver it might give them clues

(oh... and still getting the ball round the course at 81 years young (y))

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
If you're 81 the chances are that, like me, your swing speed has plummeted over the last 10 years. Sounds like you're not getting enough elevation on your driver. What is the loft? If it's less than 12° the chances are it's not launching high enough. Think of the analogy of a fire hose (or peeing over a high wall). To get maximum distance you don't point it down, you point it up in the air.

A session on a simulator would indicate where the problem lies. The simulator can show you, for any given swing speed, what the optimum launch angle for your driver is. I'm willing to bet that it's higher than your current launch.

RichA

Visit site
I’m hitting my 17 degree hybrid farther off the tee than my driver. Could one of the reasons be the hybrid is 5 inches shorter than the driver and, as a result, enables more speed. If so, could I get more driver distance just by choking down on it?
I often put a 3 wood shaft in my driver when I'm struggling. The 2" shorter shaft means that I get a feeling of more control and swing with a bit more confidence. Any loss in clubhead speed is generally offset by the fact I'm more likely to get a centre strike off the face.

Jhatpro

Visit site
Driver is 10.5 with soft regular shaft. I play Callaway Supersoft Balls. Thanks, everyone, for all the comments. I’ll put some foot powder on the driver to check my impact.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Could one of the reasons be the hybrid is 5 inches shorter than the driver and, as a result, enables more speed. If so, could I get more driver distance just by choking down on it?

No. It is probably simply because you make better contact and have better control with the hybrid compared with the driver.

Having persuade several of my mates to switch to softer shafts (overcoming the macho instinct is very hard) they have all made big improvements. Do not discount moving to a ladies flex shaft , there is a reason that a lot of ladies use them.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You might be hitting down on the driver .
This delofted it and you lose distance and up the spin.
But hitting down is perfect for a hybrid so shots will be better struck.