Driver tinkering...

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a driver at stock length of 45.5” and the manufacturers stated swing weight of D6 (which seems high?). I’m going to chop its knees off and reduce the length to a more manageable 44.5”. Now I know this will affect the swing weight, but by how much, and whether I’ll notice it is my main question?

From my limited understanding, 1” off in length will reduce the swing weight by 6pts (approx. 12g?) to D0? So, if I want to get some swing weight back, adding a lighter grip will help compensate? I’ve read that 5g saving in weight on the grip will bring 1pt back? Does this seem about right to those knowledgeable on the subject?

I’m also looking at adding weight to the head (manufacturers heavier weights) too if needed.

Thanks

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
From my limited understanding, 1” off in length will reduce the swing weight by 6pts (approx. 12g?) to D0? .................................................... I’ve read that 5g saving in weight on the grip will bring 1pt back?

Both correct. This may help.... http://clubmaker-online.com/swingweight.factors.html

D6 seems ridiculously heavy for a driver though. From my limited knowledge most (mens) drivers are around D2/D3, and Vokey only go as high as D5 with lob wedges.

Nashy

Head Pro
Visit site
Can you not try playing the club by choking down the grip first to see how you get on with it? You cannot add length back one without an extension once it's taken off. I regularly choke down my drive 1 inch when trying to be even more accurate on a difficult driving hole. If you have already done this and know that the 1 inch is the route you wish to take then fire away, to get the swing weight back up some lead tape is the easiest way to do it, you can also put it where ever suits you best on the club head.

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
No idea about swing weight but I've ditch my driver shaft and put in a 3 wood shaft. shaft is 43" so plays about 44 haven't noticed swing weight or any distance drop just more fairways hit. Tried putting the driver shaft back in and now it feels too long so will be sticking to the 3 wood shaft. I highly recommend this.