Driver Shaft

Newtonuti

Visit site
Right, here's a question for you lot. How much of a difference does being fit for your driver shaft make? I've read multiple PGA pros/club fitters say it either does or doesn't make any difference, what's the general consensus amongst us mere amateurs?

D

Deleted member 23270

I suggest you book a fitting, take your current driver with you and see the results for yourself. Some on here will say it makes no difference others will argue it will make a big difference.

Neeko1988

Visit site
I can’t speak for others or a general view but my experiance is it makes a world of difference along with the head.

I was previously fitted for a 10.5 degree Sim Max with a stiff Adila rogue shaft. Carrying around 240 yards due to the spin.

Latest fitting at Scottsdale I ended up with a x stiff motore shaft in a 8 degree sim2 (non max) head now carrying 285 and spinning 2K

Ball flight and distance is night and day. And as mentioned I was actually fitted for the first one so I’d imagine if your current driver wasn’t fitted there could be massive games to be head. But saying that the current driver your using could suit you so hard to say what your experience will be.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Right, here's a question for you lot. How much of a difference does being fit for your driver shaft make? I've read multiple PGA pros/club fitters say it either does or doesn't make any difference, what's the general consensus amongst us mere amateurs?
A heck of a lot of difference in terms of time and money.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It makes a huge difference from experience but you’ll only see the best results if your swing is consistent. If there are multiple faults and inconsistencies they can only fit you for the swing you bring on that day.

The same applies if you are going through any changes.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
From my experience it makes a massive difference. I had a fitting on Friday at Tour Issue Golf & the fitter knew within 2 shots that my current iron shafts were a terrible fit for me. He then proceeds to pass me a club with a shaft he thought would suit my swing/delivery dynamics & I instantly gained 15 yards & I was bang on the Trackman optimiser numbers.

Fortunately my driver shaft/setup was bang on. I've tried my fathers driver shaft in my head knowing it's completely wrong for me just to see what happens & I can't keep it on the planet or have any sort of consistent shot shape

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
My good shots go further with a stiff shaft than my old regular shaft....

Thats about it for me!

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’m no expert but when I was fitted for my driver I tried about 6 different shafts the last one I tried I said to the fitter “ this is the one” that was before I hit a ball it just felt better.

He said to me afterwards that he didn’t want to say anything at the time but my first three shots with the shaft I liked were the same distance and dispersion and better than any other shaft I tried.

For me it made a difference

Newnsy

Visit site
when I got fitted for my driver, the fitter told me its not about my good shots. Its all about the bad shot and making them better.

Springveldt

Visit site
I can’t speak for others or a general view but my experiance is it makes a world of difference along with the head.

I was previously fitted for a 10.5 degree Sim Max with a stiff Adila rogue shaft. Carrying around 240 yards due to the spin.

Latest fitting at Scottsdale I ended up with a x stiff motore shaft in a 8 degree sim2 (non max) head now carrying 285 and spinning 2K

Ball flight and distance is night and day. And as mentioned I was actually fitted for the first one so I’d imagine if your current driver wasn’t fitted there could be massive games to be head. But saying that the current driver your using could suit you so hard to say what your experience will be.
You are like a fitters dream though. You must have around 110-115mph club head speed to be getting a 285 carry and your old driver must have been spinning at around 4K or more. Even I could have given you something better and I'm no club fitter. :)

When I got my last driver I found that the shaft did make a bit of difference to my dispersion, even although both shafts were rated stiff. The Evenflow one was all over the place but the Hzrdus Smoke (with the same head) was just more accurate for some reason. I think for the average golfer the shaft might make a bit of difference helping face contact and dispersion but for the really skilled golfers I don't think it's that big a deal unless they are currently fit very poorly. Just look at Crossfield's videos, I've seen him go from an Extra Stiff to a "seniors" shaft and it not make a bit of difference to him.

D

Deleted member 1147

I think that if you don't have any idea about what is right for you, and/or you currently have a club that isn't optimal for you, you will probably find that a fitting will make a big difference.

An old boy I know had a driver shaft with a mid kick point. The Pro just let hit try his own club with a low kick point. He got more height and thus more difference.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I've read multiple PGA pros/club fitters say it either does or doesn't make any difference,

Since even pros are inconclusive, and there is no clear confirming evidence that it makes a difference, that it doesnt make a difference is the most probable case, and instead it is just a marketing and sales gimmick. Golfers are rich, and easily parted from their cash for snake oil.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
PGA pros have the skill and ability to use many different shafts. I was at a demo where Michael Campbell hit his own driver, then had the shaft swapped out for a L flex, and he hit 3 or 4 drives exactly the same as his normal shaft (because he could feel the shaft and corrected for it) until he deliberately stepped on one and hooked it, to illustrate the importance of fitting.

Take an average 12 handicapper and give them a shaft with a very low torque and high kick point and I guarantee you they won't be able to hit it.

I had a fitting at Titleist and the fitter gave me a club he made up with shafts in without commenting on the shaft and after hitting them, he explained how the shaft characteristics changed the flight (kick point, weight, torque etc), and it was pretty much as expected.

It is probably true that few average players need expensive exotic shafts, because there a plethora of very good regular price shafts that should cover almost all needs.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always use a fitted shaft, mainly by trial on the course.

Shafts are so variable eg high kick point, low kick point the flex can vary with each manufacturer (there is no such thing as standard regular/stiff flex in graphite shafts).