Driver Set-up

faunty

Hacker
Visit site
Hi,

I've been playing for a couple of years and have managed to get my handicap down to 12, but I want to push on and get down to single figures.

I've started keeping stats recently and it seems that most of my shots are lost from errant tee shots when hitting a wood.

My long game varies between being perfect 1 day and spraying it everywhere the next, the root case seems to be off centre contacts - high hooks from toe strikes, low fades from heel strikes.

My iron play is very solid and the only difference between my iron set-up and my driver set-up is the ball is positioned further forward and my hands are slightly further away from my belt buckle when hitting a wood.

My question is, should I keep the distance between my hands and my belt buckle consitent for every club?

Thankss

faunty

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks. I've tried it a couple of times in practice, but I feel like I'm crowding the ball and am swinging out to in to make contact.

faunty

Hacker
Visit site
For my driver I have it level with the inside of my left ankle, or perhaps a little further forward. For my irons I tend to keep the ball fairly central.

Previously I discovered I was really reaching for the ball when hitting my driver, but I've brought it a bit closer to me and my consistency has improved, however it's still nowhere near as consistent as my irons and this is holding me back.

As I mentioned previously, the only difference I can see is that I set-up with the ball a little further away (relatively) and as a result my hands are 3-4 inches further away from my belt buckle.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
For my driver I have it level with the inside of my left ankle, or perhaps a little further forward. For my irons I tend to keep the ball fairly central.

Previously I discovered I was really reaching for the ball when hitting my driver, but I've brought it a bit closer to me and my consistency has improved, however it's still nowhere near as consistent as my irons and this is holding me back.
As I mentioned previously, the only difference I can see is that I set-up with the ball a little further away (relatively) and as a result my hands are 3-4 inches further away from my belt buckle.

Faunty....Helloooooo
This may not apply to you but it helped me no end........When your addressing the ball with any club...Feel as though when you take your position the your arms are hanging vertically from your shoulders.....Not reaching for the ball......Also when you address your ball what i do is ground the club behing the ball....This will give you a rough idea for how far away you should be standing as club length determines your address position.....
I know that i have a higher handicap than you but it has worked well so far for me...

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Here's Tiger. It's from his book. One is sloppy and the other what he's looking for.

Tiger-Posture.jpg

Although I don't study his technique, I expect he "measures off" the same way every time.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Here's Tiger. It's from his book. One is sloppy and the other what he's looking for.

Tiger-Posture.jpg

Although I don't study his technique, I expect he "measures off" the same way every time.

If I remember rightly in his book Tiger says he prefers the position on the right, I believe that's because the posture on the left sets his hands too low.