Driver fitting and an expensive lesson

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A week ago I purchased a new driver which was an ex-demo 9.5 degree stiff shafted TM Superfast 2.0 TP. I'd tried several drivers on the range and hit this one far better than everything else and after trying it twice I took the plunge.

Bearing in mind that the driver was taped up during the demo my first swing on the course resulted in an out of bounds slice on the first tee and a power fade on the second ball which was just in bounds. Going onto the second tee was a repeat of the first tee.

After half a dozen holes and one good drive it stayed in the bag. I couldn't belive the problems I was experiencing as I'm normally quite straight off the tee. I tried a few things on the range later but the ball still wanted to go left and although I'd reduced the shot to a fade I left the course very frustrated.

A couple of days later I phoned the pro shop and on explaining the problems I'd experienced and they very kindly offered to take the club back as it was an ex-demo on the condition that I booked in for a fitting and bought a new club costing the same price or more.

The first club we tried was a Ping G15 with the first shot being a high power fade with 16-17 degree launch angle and 2000 + rpm of side spin.

A couple more shots and it was put to one side.

Next was the Nike 9.5 VRS in a regular shaft. It felt awful, like a lump of lead on a rope. I'm a big Nike fan but the heavy head combined with a light shaft wasn't for me and there was no consistency if you tried to put some umph into it. Both the launch angle and side spin were too high.

Next was the Titleist 910 D2 in 10.5 fitted with a Mitsubisha Diamana Kai. This actually felt very good to swing, however it felt harsh off the club face and was not very forgiving on miss hits. Good shots were a pleasing trajectory but side spin was still an issue.

At this point Richard noted that although my set up was sound when I dropped my right shoulder I pointed it inwards towards the ball which had the effect of opening my stance. At this point I must highlight that I wasn't aware of this however I've recently been suffering with a shoulder injury and I believe that in order to relieve the discomfort this little habit has crept into my swing causing the occasional slice.

A minor amendment to my set up, pushing my right shoulder back to the correct alignment plane and I started striking the ball a lot better. The launch angle was still too high at 16000 rpm and because I was still getting a little too much side spin Richard's opinion was divided as to whether we should persevere with a 9.5 degree or look at a 10 or 10.5 degree driver to reduce the side spin.

2 minutes later he cam back with the two most expensive drivers in the shop in the Callaway Razr fit and the TM R11S.

Now I'll be honest, I didn't want to pay £300 for a driver as I've had plenty of last year models at £100 which have been more than up to the job and lets face it, if you have to adjust the driver you are just hiding a flaw in your swing that you're too lazy to rectify.

Two or three hits with the 10.5 degree Razr Fit, fitted with a RIP NV regular shaft and I was very impressed. Launch was between 12 and 14 degrees depending on how I tee'd the ball up and side spin was as low as 600. Distance and trajectory were also very impressive.

With the TM it's a love or hate affair, however I do like TM products and I don't mind the white at all as I do think it looks good. I was really looking forward to swinging the R11S and thought that this would be the club, however to say I was disappointed was an understatement.

With the Razr Fit I could feel exactly where the club was and what it was doing but the TM felt light and awkward. I can't put my finger on it because the Superfast TP felt light and predictable but there seemed to be a sense of loss with the R11S as if it wouldn't suit my natural swing.

Several balls later, feeling very disappointed, I went back to the Razr Fit and had a few more swings. It was like night and day and my mind was made up.

The bad news is that they don't have one in stock and I'm going to have to wait 7-14 days for delivery.

I can't tell you how long the club is but I'm confident it will be several yds longer than my Nike VR, in addition it will also be much more forgiving on miss hits. The club looks superb and more like a 440 head than the 460 it is. It feels so natural through the swing and although the Aldila RIP NV is the stock shaft it is superb and felt so much better than the TM RIP Phenom.

I've always been sceptical of fittings however when you can see the launch angle and spin figures for yourself it takes away the guess work and indecisiveness in buying a new driver.

Now I only have two problems, one is the 1-2 week wait for the club to arrive and two is telling the wife. The next time the Alvaro Quiros Callaway add is on TV, I'll just have to explain that I couldn't help it :D

Two things I haven't mentioned in the post are distances and swing speed. Many people have been slated or questioned when they have posted their stats and for me the read out didn't quite go with the shaft selection as my club head speed was between 115-120 for most swings and up to 124 on the better swings. When I saw the club head speed figures Richard advised that the club head speed does not reflect swing speed and that my swing speed would be around 90 mph. If somebody could clarify this relationship I would appreciate it.

Last edited:

pingu

Medal Winner
Visit site
Great write up Dave,im going for a fitting to clubhouse golf next week for ping i20's,it just shows how important it is to have correctly fitted clubs.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I tried the i20 and G20 prior to the fit. I found the G20 to be very high launching for the given loft and the i20 to be closer to the mark with a much more penetrating flight. Both are very good clubs.

pingu

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yes,i found the i20 alot higher launching than my G15,but they felt fantastic off the face.I will write something next sat about it, as the fitting is on friday.

TeeItHigh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have just had a fitting for i20 irons and i've got to say i was very impressed, the dispersion rate against my old 2nd hand Tm's has made them too hard to turn down!! Especially as they look so good at address and i've been to loads of demo days trying all sorts.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Two things I haven't mentioned in the post are distances and swing speed. Many people have been slated or questioned when they have posted their stats and for me the read out didn't quite go with the shaft selection as my club head speed was between 115-120 for most swings and up to 124 on the better swings. When I saw the club head speed figures Richard advised that the club head speed does not reflect swing speed and that my swing speed would be around 90 mph. If somebody could clarify this relationship I would appreciate it.

How far did the machine say your drives were going Dave. The only thing I can think of is that the 124 was ball speed, but that wouldn't quite be high enough for a decent hit with 90mph swing speed, unless you were hitting range balls?

Scottjd1

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good read mate, nice to hear that you had a god fitting and have come up with the right club, the cost will be cheaper in the long run as you will no doubt keep it longer.

Good luck.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did u try the callaway razr black? I hit it ten yards longer that the razr fit and dispersion was better too, plus it's 100 quid cheaper! Simply n awesome club, and would be the only club non TM to make my bag...

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Callaway drivers are a lot less flashy than TM, but are well worth a look. There is a Razr Fit Tour Authentic coming with a different paint job, better standard shaft and greater adjustability, but the standard version is more than enough for most of us.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
That sort of swing speed is nudging XS shafts. Something doesn't add up. How can he say your losing 34mph in clubhead speed and not fully explain it to you.

The NV shaft you've chosen is a nice shaft too, nice to look at to boot.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
good write up, Drivers are also doing my head in, cant find any head/shaft combos that I like the look off and give me a low penetrating flight. So its also the razr fit this weekend

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't think it's totally uncommon for the right shoulder to come around. As the right hand is not just lower but further away so it's easy to reach with the right shoulder. I tend to be careful now how I bring my right hand in and put it onto to the club to avoid that tendancy.

In an efficient strike with a driver ball speed will equate to approx 1.5x your club head speed. Sp 120ss would be 160 ball speed and 90 ss would be 135 ball speed. I gather that during impact the club'll lose about 20% of speed in an efficient strike (the more speed you maintain between impact and seperation the better as far as distance is concerned), so don't know if that's what they were on about.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
strangely I also use a 9.5 degree stiff shafted TM Superfast 2.0 TP

I was 'tested' and this one dialed in - and went fantastically in trials

On the course I had problems, and over the next 8 months it was in and out (mainly out) of the bag with a TP Burner (9.5), and even a Burner (10.5) getting back in the bag.

Eventually I was forced to conclude it was me, and I now enjoy the performance that this driver provides me - but the problem of being fitted on the range is that those course based pressure elements can be dialled out!

I'm sure you will end up with your perfect match

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Which sort of launch monitor was it I recently went on a flightscope and on the stats it showed my swing speed ball speed and calculated smash factor which as above is the key figure in the relationship.
Great write up enjoy the new shiney hope the wait isn't too drawn out!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Interesting post.... I wouldn't buy a club if it lowered my sidespin to 600rpm.... I'd learn to swing properly!

(nb: If you have a physical issue that isn't going to get better then fair do's)

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Region 3

The launch measuring equipment was made by Nike.

My drives varied from 190 to 210 carry using 80% range balls. Richard advised that the regular RIP NV shaft was perfect for my swing speed however I don't know how accurate the club head speed was on the monitor.

My typical drive using my Nike VR is around 220 -230 carry, which incidentally is where the ditches are placed on my local course so I'm hoping to get enough of an improvement so I don't need a lucky bounce to get over when landing short.

Rooter.

I didn't try the Razr Black as Richard wanted to dial out the fade that had crept into my swing.
All of the other shafts I tried including the 9.5 degree drivers had launch angles between 14 and 17 which was too high and given that the Razr Black is designed for high launch I think that the launch with the Fujikura shaft would have been far to high

Even though the Razr Fit is 10.5 the RIP NV managed to keep the launch angle down to between 12 and 14 with the odd higher launch if I tee'd it up to high.

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I was fitted for a razr fit 3 weeks ago i was hitting it really well at the fitting but the club was taped up.bought it for £329 got it on the course and now hate it.its straight back to my old drive which I hit really well should never of bought the razr. I was fitted for the stiff Aldila and swing speed is 95 which makes me just in stiff shaft.My old driver is Aldila nv x stiff and I know I can hit this 250 carry plus. Have been checked using range finder etc. now have a razr fit I don't need and it's straight on eBay what a waste hey but need the money to get a rbz tour 3 wood

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The launch measuring equipment was made by Nike.

that would be simply amazing........

I don't think Nike actually make anything at all; but they certainly don't make high end electronics :)

However, this is of course irrelevant, as is who made the equipement.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Duncan.

It definitely had Nike wrote on the swing monitor which was connected to a laptop, so I assume it is made for equipment for Nike dealer swing analysis.