Driver Fade

Fabia999

Visit site
I have recently suffered from a bad case of the driver fades. It happened on one time playing about three weeks ago and its been the same ever since, maybe 1/5 are going straight. The fades range from slightly to all the way.
The new pro at the course isn't available until the end of May for the time I need before i get some 'go to pro' answers.
Has anybody got any temporary fixes that I can use until I get a lesson to fix it? Or has anybody got any ideas of common causes of this that I could attempt at the range.
Tried turning the driver slightly left on address of the ball and that didn't do much.

Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 25172

I’d guesstimate that there are no other category of videos on golf on YouTube that has more hits than this particular issue.

But as a fellow slicer I can tell you this: the more you’re aiming to the left, the worse it’s going to get to actually fix the issue.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have the same issue, but I noticed today that if I really focus on completing the follow through properly, it tends to go straighter. Often I don't give the follow through a second's thought, it's all about takeaway and strike in my head, but maybe my follow through was not great and could have been affecting the path. So might be something to think about and try.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Nothing wrong with a consistent fade. Lot of top pros play with one, including Dustin Johnson. When it becomes a slice you are in trouble !

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Check all the basics neutral grip, alinement, stance, and posture. Chances are you are swinging outside to in with an open stance as a drill try standing with a closed stance and swing along the line of your feet. As has been said pointing the club left will make the fade worse that's what I used to do when I first started playing.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Sorry, I know you didn't want a "go to the pro" response. Go to a pro before it gets ingrained. Once its set you might be stuck with it for a while.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
I have the same issue, but I noticed today that if I really focus on completing the follow through properly, it tends to go straighter. Often I don't give the follow through a second's thought, it's all about takeaway and strike in my head, but maybe my follow through was not great and could have been affecting the path. So might be something to think about and try.

Wot he said above, and it also comes into my round towards the end when I do not do a full turn on the backswing

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Always starts straight. I tend to hit my drives quite high in the air too.
This tells you that, at impact, the face is square to the target (starts straight) & open in relation to the swing path (fade). You may only need to adjust your swing path slightly to come more from the inside. Possibly bigger, flatter shoulder turn, aim to hit the inside of the ball. The high flight suggests too steep a swing, which sometimes goes with an out to in swing path.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wot he said above, and it also comes into my round towards the end when I do not do a full turn on the backswing
Same for me really. If I really get through on my follow through then I go dead straight. If start to tire, don't think etc and don't fully go through the ball then it will fade after starting straight.

Different for all people, the reason the OP should see a proper person, but it sounds as though Orikoru, apj0524 and myself have the same issue.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Maybe just "feel" that the toe is trying to overtake the heel when you swing through (I don't mean roll your forearms through the hit). Soften your hands and relax your forearms. If it is starting straight, then fading the path should be pretty good. It just sounds like the club is on a good path but the face is open a tad.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
As someone who draws everything, i have switched to a fade off the tee the last year or so.

Takes one side of the course out of play, which wasn't the case when it went wrong with the draw, big blocks and hooks a thing of the past;)

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hitting it dead straight is beyond most golfers of all abilities,has your regular shape changed from draw to fade or is your baby fade growing arms and legs? I never even try to hit it straight off the tee😎

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What shaft are you using in the JPX? I had a Regular one of these in a hire set and found it quite soft. I had the same issue, high fades, as Bob eludes to they got worse the faster I swung. The Reg shaft was leaving the clubface open at address and with 12* loft as well I can imagine that could be an issue. However it's impossible for us to tell, you'd have to get custom fit, I know people bemoan AG but for a free service you could at least try a few different shafts and see if that straigntens it out. And plenty on here (myself included) have found some AGs to be very good.

If it doesn't, youre swinging out to in and cutting across the ball, also like me when I go at it and "hit" from the top rather than achieving a smooth transition.