Driver Distance

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im really happy, I apparently hit my 3wood further than some single figure golfers from this forum (nb: context of shot removed from this post).

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
PW 120
9 iron 135
8 iron 145
7 iron 155
6 iron 165
5 iron 175
4 iron 185
hybrid 195
3 wood 210
driver 215 (currently) have averaged around 250 so what am I doing wrong, and funny but currently I am hitting my irons and hybrid better and my distances are going up though clearly winter has been a factor.

My feeling is that if I can eak a few extra yards from the driver, rather than a 5 iron into a green I will be taking an 7 iron or so. This makes the game much simpler.

I have a lesson tomorrow so that will be interesting. I am sure I have got a little narrow and am hanging back.

Your distances are similar to mine, except with the driver, which I hit 300 yards. Well, more like 240 or so, and that would be what you would expect from a decently flighted drive with an approx 100 mph driver swing speed. Something with your driver swing, technique or club are wrong.

Do you hit it high or low? If low you may be coming down on it too much and not getting it properly flighted, and increasing the angle of attack might add some yards. If you high, perhaps losing yards with too much spin and loft.

Or maybe you just haven't got the latest driver and we know that as soon a new driver is launched, the previous model stops working!

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Try the footspray drill and see where impact is happening too. If you are always hitting it low on the face could be causing it to spin high and lose distance.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Try the footspray drill and see where impact is happening too. If you are always hitting it low on the face could be causing it to spin high and lose distance.

In fairness I know I am hitting the ball slightly towards the toe with the occasional one high one the club, more than anything I play with a slight fade so I'm not convinced this is helping as it must be a slightly cutty strike.

When I'm hitting it well I have a good penetrating flight but lately I am back to a lowish flight

groundskeeperwilly

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What driver and shaft are you currently using?

Do you know your driver Swing Speed? I play with guys who want to bomb it 300yds but when measured their driver SS is well under 100mph making it an impossibility! There's a table somewhere that shows how far you can hit based on SS - really helped me and a few others I know re-evaluate how far we should hit!

Driver is also the most inconsistent and underperforming club in 99% of players bags as far as I can see. For some of them swing speed is never going to be amazing, and so distance will never be 'forum average' but TV, forum chat etc means they think they should hit it miles. Others are so worried about slicing their driver that they take a more deliberate/slow swing which again means distance is not where they'd expect based on irons/3 wood. For others the club is simply too long and cumbersome meaning they take a poor, slow swing, make contact all over the face and hence sometime smash one 260 but equally have plenty of 200 yard ones where they'd really do better to take a 3 wood and hit it 210/220 in the fairway.

None of those may apply to you but just an observation from some of my regular playing partners. Your iron and woods seem to be going a good length so it would stand to reason that driver should be up a bit! We all love smashing a driver when it is going straight and long!

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well, just got back from the lesson. Was with a new coach as my normal guy is playing more and more and becoming harder to get in with.

The whole lesson was spent generating more power into the swing using wrists and lag, this was tricky to master but the difference is unreal. Done everything with a 7 iron. Always thought I generated a bit of wrist hinge but compared to what we were doing I was doing naff all and really using the body to generate the power. Few other little bits but lots of small things make a massive difference.

After a good few fats the ball flight and strike were so much better. Combining this with tightening up the left hand side and some really handy drills.

Off to the range to practice some more tonight.

But it does look like a real new aspect for me with regard to focusing on generating much more power through lag.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
What driver and shaft are you currently using?

Do you know your driver Swing Speed? I play with guys who want to bomb it 300yds but when measured their driver SS is well under 100mph making it an impossibility! There's a table somewhere that shows how far you can hit based on SS - really helped me and a few others I know re-evaluate how far we should hit!

Driver is also the most inconsistent and underperforming club in 99% of players bags as far as I can see. For some of them swing speed is never going to be amazing, and so distance will never be 'forum average' but TV, forum chat etc means they think they should hit it miles. Others are so worried about slicing their driver that they take a more deliberate/slow swing which again means distance is not where they'd expect based on irons/3 wood. For others the club is simply too long and cumbersome meaning they take a poor, slow swing, make contact all over the face and hence sometime smash one 260 but equally have plenty of 200 yard ones where they'd really do better to take a 3 wood and hit it 210/220 in the fairway.

None of those may apply to you but just an observation from some of my regular playing partners. Your iron and woods seem to be going a good length so it would stand to reason that driver should be up a bit! We all love smashing a driver when it is going straight and long!

Aldila used to publish a list of reasonable distances. I think it went 80 mph 190 yards, 90 mph 215 yards, 100 mph 240 yards, 110 mph 270 yards, GM Forum member 300 yards, GolfWRX member 325 yards. Or something like that.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Well, just got back from the lesson. Was with a new coach as my normal guy is playing more and more and becoming harder to get in with.

The whole lesson was spent generating more power into the swing using wrists and lag, this was tricky to master but the difference is unreal. Done everything with a 7 iron. Always thought I generated a bit of wrist hinge but compared to what we were doing I was doing naff all and really using the body to generate the power. Few other little bits but lots of small things make a massive difference.

After a good few fats the ball flight and strike were so much better. Combining this with tightening up the left hand side and some really handy drills.

Off to the range to practice some more tonight.

But it does look like a real new aspect for me with regard to focusing on generating much more power through lag.

Strange you should mention that Shaun, my eureka moment was discovering wrist cock. I started a blog about it. The difference in distance is not 10 or twenty yards but more, a lot more. But as I discovered Tuesday for the first 4 or five drives I was not using my wrists and the ball was fading right. It seems the more I cock at the top the quicker I have to " flick through" the more the ball flies.
I don't reach some of my PP distances but it is a fantastic feeling " bombing one" by my standards. Hoping the new tour shaft I have ordered helps.

Stick with it 👍