Driver distance

Mandofred

Visit site
I don't know how far I hit drives...getting older so it certainly isn't as far as it used to be. I might be in the market for a new driver though, and if I buy something I'll be paying attention to the numbers on the screen more than I usually do. Although every time I've ever tested clubs, the computer lies.....lots. I know how far my irons go.....and those monitors always seem to tack on 10+ yards. Our pro shop pushes the Cobra stuff (not only), so I'll probably test those. I'm at the point where I need more loft.....my Ping 5 wood isn't far behind my driver these days.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes your right it’s a different game for the big hitters, my son played with us at Pyecombe and on a par 5 he hit it 300 yards and left him 189 to the green another good shot got him on in 2.
Only twice in the last year I've reached a par 5 green in two, as far as I can remember. Three-putt par both times. :LOL:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm now a really short driver and even with the wind behind me and bouncy fairways will never approach 250 yds .
I'd have to be hitting downwind onto a downhill concrete slope to get that. But playing a shortish course most par 4's are reachable in two.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I give the ball a reasonable tap and have measured a few drives at 350 in decent conditions.
I’ve actually slowed my swing down a bit with my new driver and seem to be hitting it further at the moment and averaging about 260.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I give the ball a reasonable tap and have measured a few drives at 350 in decent conditions.
I’ve actually slowed my swing down a bit with my new driver and seem to be hitting it further at the moment and averaging about 260.
Ah..but is it on the same golf course when it stops..?;)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I give it a fairly good wallop for a bloke in his early 60s.
Three witnesses here saw me hit two full-out shots on our 429-yard 8th last Friday.
Driver and 3-iron. Pin was on the front, so I reckon, driver 240 and 3-iron 185. Against a breeze - not much run.
With the yardage of the hole given, all these distance measuring gadgets nowadays, I'm bemused by anyone not having an accurate idea of the distances they hit with any of their clubs.

BridgfordBlue

Visit site
My average driver distance is 240, My 5 wood average is showing as 230 so not sure I’m getting the distance I should be with the driver tbh.

I am hitting it straighter than I used to though and I’m happy to sacrifice 30 yards for not being three off the tee several times a round!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
When you hit your 3 wood 290, who needs to worry about a driver! ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I first measured properly with my gps watch it was quite a shock to the system, as per the op. It hurt but after measuring a few I realised the reality of the situation and just got on with it. Put that ego away, damaged though it is ?

Mandofred

Visit site
With the yardage of the hole given, all these distance measuring gadgets nowadays, I'm bemused by anyone not having an accurate idea of the distances they hit with any of their clubs.
Distance with my driver is kind of irrelevent to me. What matters to me is what club I need to use to get on the green.....those distances I care about. I don't use the driver for that, so..... I just want my driver to get me out there a decent distance and NOT in trouble. After that, I know the distances for the other clubs.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to be a very big hitter with many drives over 300 (if the yardages on the card are correct)

Age and injuries have bought this down with many winter drives being less than 200.

Probably average 220 in summer these days.

I have some fond memories of big hitting drives

Where I used to play every week it started with a 329 yard hole, which I used to try to drive every time, the one and only time I actually got on the green I three putted

Our 12th has a measured yellow plate of 285 white 290. Playing a club match the captain was bending down eyeing up his putt and the ball from my drive ran right between his legs.

Our 18th measures 353 off the whites . Playing in a club comp I knew I hit my drive dead straight but nearly ended up with a lost ball. It took me and my mate nearly the full 5 minutes to find it in a sprinkler head just short of the green.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Distance with my driver is kind of irrelevent to me. What matters to me is what club I need to use to get on the green.....those distances I care about. I don't use the driver for that, so..... I just want my driver to get me out there a decent distance and NOT in trouble. After that, I know the distances for the other clubs.
My course and many others I play have doglegs or fairway hazards where driver from the tee might not be the best tee shot to get in the best position.
Therefore I find it very useful to know how far I hit my driver.

Mandofred

Visit site
My course and many others I play have doglegs or fairway hazards where driver from the tee might not be the best tee shot to get in the best position.
Therefore I find it very useful to know how far I hit my driver.
Yep, that's why I have a rangefinder....and I know "about" how far I hit my driver. If it's iffy with the driver....I'll take the 5 wood which I know the distance of more accurately.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The thing I find interesting is the variation in distance I get even on shots that feel like well hit drives.

Played on Friday, hit one on to a flat fairway with the wind behind, and another onto a moderate up slope into the wind and there was 99 yards difference in distance! The first one was maybe a bit better struck, but both good hits, it flew probably 25 / 40 yards further (difficult to judge from that range) and then took a big bounce and rolled, the second was stalled by the wind and didn’t roll out because of the up slope!

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was down south a few weeks ago ( the weekend I was at Spurs v Arsenal game?) had 3 games two at Pyecombe my brothers Golfmmads course and I wish I measured some of the drives there as I’m sure some drives were a lot longer.

I’ll have to ask him what distance he thought some of the drives were.
About 150!......................

Just kidding?
On the ninth about 230 - 240! Also on our 217yd par 3, slightly uphill you drove the green. I won't say what we scored on that hole?.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Just kidding?
On the ninth about 230 - 240! Also on our 217yd par 3, slightly uphill you drove the green. I won't say what we scored on that hole?.

I will myself and my son both drove the green this was after Chris said we won’t get on the green?, we both walked off with a 4 Chris chipped in from around 20-30 yards for birdie ?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Just kidding?

That just goes to prove how difficult our course is as we get very little run on our fairways, if I average even 25 yards of extra run on your course on every tee shot thats like playing a extra par 4 on our course