Driver distance

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Was out yesterday playing on a beautiful day with no wind and for the first time I measured all my drives.

I won’t embarrass myself saying what distance I was getting but I got rather a shock to learn I am not hitting the distance I thought I was achieving.

I’ve never been a big hitter but blimey I didn’t think I was that short?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Even lower I think. Below 200 I think on a true average. A lot of people would be shocked if they knew they don't really drive it beyond 190.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was out yesterday playing on a beautiful day with no wind and for the first time I measured all my drives.

I won’t embarrass myself saying what distance I was getting but I got rather a shock to learn I am not hitting the distance I thought I was achieving.

Never be embarrassed

People go by best drive not average a lot

I know I'm normally 200-220 which isnt long but knowing that saves me shots.. if I go off line Mt watch tells me how long since I hit the shot

So when I get to say 180 yards I'll start to look on that line

It's helped me find a lot more shots if Im off line

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I've found this recently as well. My swing is all over the shop but whereas my average last year was around 240, its only about 220 at the moment. I'm hitting my hybrid further off the tee!

Springveldt

Visit site
Most people don't hit anywhere near the distances they think they do.
I max out at 270 but the norm is nearer 220..
Yep. My P-Avg from Shotscope for this year is currently 261 yet my average drive is 231 when it factors in the slices, pulls into the trees, skies etc.

I always laugh at the people on the interwebs that claim to average 290 off the tee while being high handicappers and it's only their short game that lets them down.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find it can vary a lot in one round, even on similar strikes - a bit of wind and a good bounce could be 250, with neither of those could be 210. My average, just over two years ago on an indoor simulator was 225, since then due to slight improvement and better choice of golf ball I reckon the average would be up to... 230 ish. ? It does the job though and the main thing for me is that I'm quite consistent with it, rarely a long way right or left.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've found this recently as well. My swing is all over the shop but whereas my average last year was around 240, its only about 220 at the moment. I'm hitting my hybrid further off the tee!

I’m going out for 9 holes tonight course won’t be busy and I’m going to hit driver and 3 wood and see what difference there is.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I’m going out for 9 holes tonight course won’t be busy and I’m going to hit driver and 3 wood and see what difference there is.

Probably not much!

My average drive is probably about 210. Capable of 260-270 but more often than not a tree gets in the way of my slice and im around 180 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was down south a few weeks ago ( the weekend I was at Spurs v Arsenal game?) had 3 games two at Pyecombe my brothers Golfmmads course and I wish I measured some of the drives there as I’m sure some drives were a lot longer.

I’ll have to ask him what distance he thought some of the drives were.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Probably not much!

My average drove is probably about 210. Capable of 260-270 but more often than not a tree gets in the way of my slice and im around 180 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That average is maybe just higher than me I think it would be more if I didn’t play on a very exposed course, but no trees here so that’s not a problem ?

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

You're never going to be allowed to post on Golfwrx forum without hitting over 300 yards average.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Yep. My P-Avg from Shotscope for this year is currently 261 yet my average drive is 231 when it factors in the slices, pulls into the trees, skies etc.

I always laugh at the people on the interwebs that claim to average 290 off the tee while being high handicappers and it's only their short game that lets them down.

My P-Ave on Shotscope is 243 but about 220 with the other factors taken into account. I'm happy with that at nearly 70

mister v

Visit site
i just checked on my Garmin S60 watch and it shows on avg 207-220. there are some holes where i can get it out to 250 but they are a bit down hill, or wind behind or both and i've hit it well......
I play with some lads who really can stripe it 280-300 and its a completley different game to watch.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i just checked on my Garmin S60 watch and it shows on avg 207-220. there are some holes where i can get it out to 250 but they are a bit down hill, or wind behind or both and i've hit it well......
I play with some lads who really can stripe it 280-300 and its a completley different game to watch.

Yes your right it’s a different game for the big hitters, my son played with us at Pyecombe and on a par 5 he hit it 300 yards and left him 189 to the green another good shot got him on in 2.