Driver distance

sunshine

Visit site
I used to be a very big hitter with many drives over 300 (if the yardages on the card are correct)

Age and injuries have bought this down with many winter drives being less than 200.

Probably average 220 in summer these days.

I have some fond memories of big hitting drives

Where I used to play every week it started with a 329 yard hole, which I used to try to drive every time, the one and only time I actually got on the green I three putted

Our 12th has a measured yellow plate of 285 white 290. Playing a club match the captain was bending down eyeing up his putt and the ball from my drive ran right between his legs.

Our 18th measures 353 off the whites . Playing in a club comp I knew I hit my drive dead straight but nearly ended up with a lost ball. It took me and my mate nearly the full 5 minutes to find it in a sprinkler head just short of the green.

Good stuff ??

Although apparently you should be posting this on golf wrx ?

AddisonRoad

Visit site
Does anyone use Garmin Golf for tracking stats? Unfortunately, it sometimes doesn't pick up my second stroke, which leads to it recording 400-yard drives etc. that never happened. Not sure if anyone has some advice on how to either avoid this happening or correct these absurd drives in my stats.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Does anyone use Garmin Golf for tracking stats? Unfortunately, it sometimes doesn't pick up my second stroke, which leads to it recording 400-yard drives etc. that never happened. Not sure if anyone has some advice on how to either avoid this happening or correct these absurd drives in my stats.

I always intend to but usually get bored after about three holes. You can edit and enter shots on the app though.

I dont really do practice swings but they do seem to help with the tracking.

sunshine

Visit site

Yea I do. You can edit the shots on the app afterwards, it’s fairly simple to add and remove shots. I try to look at the round on the app as soon as possible after I’ve played, while I can still remember the shots and clubs.

sunshine

Visit site
This is what I find to be the most useful garmin stat. There are loads of others too.

I added a club called 1 iron for recording half shots eg punching out from under trees (very common for me).

Attachments

• DF66B419-7B9D-406E-A5B0-04673B150763.png
    DF66B419-7B9D-406E-A5B0-04673B150763.png
    315.2 KB · Views: 12

AddisonRoad

Visit site
Yea I do. You can edit the shots on the app afterwards, it’s fairly simple to add and remove shots. I try to look at the round on the app as soon as possible after I’ve played, while I can still remember the shots and clubs.

Thanks - I'll give this a try!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Just had a look at my last round. Finished with 2 excellent drives, or so I thought, one of which won the longest drive prize. Lovely warm day, with the ball really flying. Best drive, 241yds, and second best was 226yds. Most were around 210-220yds.

Distance obviously dropping off with age but fairways hit, probably because the drives are short, is way up.

Would I prefer hitting out of the rough at 250yds, or from the fairway at 225yds? Off the fairway for me.

sunshine

Visit site
Would I prefer hitting out of the rough at 250yds, or from the fairway at 225yds? Off the fairway for me.

This obviously depends on the hole and the state of the rough, but 225 v 250 that's 3 clubs difference for your approach. Generally I would expect my GIR is better with an 8 iron from the rough than a 5 iron from the fairway.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This obviously depends on the hole and the state of the rough, but 225 v 250 that's 3 clubs difference for your approach. Generally I would expect my GIR is better with an 8 iron from the rough than a 5 iron from the fairway.
Its also not quite as simple as being in the rough at one distance and the fairway at the other. The difference is more likely being on the fairway 50% of the time at 250 yds vs 60% at 225.

sunshine

Visit site
Its also not quite as simple as being in the rough at one distance and the fairway at the other. The difference is more likely being on the fairway 50% of the time at 250 yds vs 60% at 225.

Yes agreed.
I would take being on the fairway 50% of the time at 250 yds vs 60% at 225. If it was 30% at 250 vs 60% at 225 that's a different question.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

You’re not wrong in terms of distance/iron choice but my choice is based on distance control and what the ball does when it lands. Will the 8 iron ’jump’ or will it land short, will it bite or will it bounce on through? Splitting hairs, maybe, but I prefer catching the ball ’clean’ off the fairway for a more predictable result.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Bit of a boast but I won our longest drive today with 382 yards, 83 yards past 2nd. Admittedly down hill and down wind but I summoned the long drive gods, pulled out a 4” tee, rocked sided to side and squeezed out every bit of speed I could muster! It tracked the hole perfectly with a little draw. (Next try, back to normal and nearly pulled OB!)

HeftyHacker

Visit site
A pal was playing in the group behind today and I text him when we had cleared 280 yards to let him know it was clear (there's a bell but the wind meant you couldn't hear it).

About 20 seconds later this ball whizzes through the middle of my group as we're walking up.

According to watch he had hit it 360 yards ?.

84 year old Dave I was playing with just said "that's f**king obscene".

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A pal was playing in the group behind today and I text him when we had cleared 280 yards to let him know it was clear (there's a bell but the wind meant you couldn't hear it).

About 20 seconds later this ball whizzes through the middle of my group as we're walking up.

I concur with Dave ??

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I’m with Dave!