Driver and shaft question

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking at getting a callaway ft-9 imix driver, I've found one that has two shafts with it. As I don't have a clue about the shaft jargon could someone explain or see if they think they would be any use for me they are as follows:

ALDILA VS proto 'By you' 65R Reg Unmarked.
Fujikura Z COM T55 r2 Reg, One slight bag rub mark.

I want an Imix as at the moment I have a slow swing speed and I'm playing off 26, but plan on getting better obviously so don't want to buy a new driver now and then another next year when I may need a stiff shaft, this way all i will need to do is upgrade the shaft. Also I'm not flush so buying an older model will be cheaper!

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
its a toughy, I have 3 drivers (kept buying bargains off ebay), nike sq 10.5 reg, titleist 907d1 10.5 stiff and a cobra hs9 12 reg. Until a lesson on Friday I sliced all of them, now I have a tiny bit better control I took them all to the range last night and found only the titleist with the stiff shaft gave any sort of consistency albeit a slightly lower flight.

I couldnt tell any difference with 10.5 or 12 deg loft or between 2 regular shafts as I am not good enough or constistant off the tee to notice.

is there anyway you can try before you buy?

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Struggling to try one at the moment because it's out dated gear now, there is one near me on eBay who has indoor range which I'm assuming is a net, but that won't really help. My local range have flightscope etc but only the new gear but may help me find the right shaft option.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's hard to say because your handicap and having a "slowish" swing speed are not much to go on. Club loft is another factor. There is an argument that you could forget about a driver entirely until your game settles a bit. At slowish swing speeds, the launch of a 3 wood is higher and straighter and goes just as far as a driver.

Anyway, the Fuji is a softish shaft. It is pretty light and R2 means it is a soft regular, sometimes also called senior shaft. This should launch the ball fairly high (although not as high as a 3 wood).

The Aldila is also a pretty playable shaft for the average player, but I think it would play a bit firmer.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
ethan, isn't launch angle as much about kick point, low kick = higher launch.

but for OP, a decent new shaft could cost you £80 or so, then you need to get it properly fitted - might actually be cheaper to get the then 'older' model driver (TM = last week)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
ethan, isn't launch angle as much about kick point, low kick = higher launch.

but for OP, a decent new shaft could cost you £80 or so, then you need to get it properly fitted - might actually be cheaper to get the then 'older' model driver (TM = last week)

Kick point does have a large effect on launch, much more so than head loft, for example, but softish light shafts tend to have a low kick point as well or they negate the benefit of the softish shaft for the slow swinger. Slower swingers need more launch to get a decent trajectory and many will get more distance from a 3 wood than a driver.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
my swing is on the slower side (86 with driver) and can hit decently long with either - so long as I hit smooth and don't try to force it; I do have matched and aligned shafts though

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
well I got cut this week.
generally straighter, irons are a little shorter but creeping up (they are a club weaker than the MacGregors)
driver/3-wood/hybrid getting better all the time - don't want to be Bubba (what a name for a 30 year old man), Luke will do me fine

overall straighter though I can still pull the shorter irons

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welll I decided not to bother this year, I missed out in a couple. After reflecting and taking on board what has been said on here I will learn to hit mine better, when everything clicks it does fly on those rare occasions. Instead prob have a lesson on my woods and save to get fitted for new stuff next season when hopefully I will have improved more.

I have so far resisted the lure of new shiny things, how long is to be seen!