Driver and Custom Fitting

MattCarter

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

I have had about 6 lessons now and my pro has completely changed how i play golf for the better. I am now taking divots and can now draw the ball most of the time with most of my clubs.

The only problem i am having is with the driver i am still getting a really bad slice. Starts off on target for about 20 yards then goes right about 90o.

It feels like i can’t get the driver square at impact. So my question is do you think it would be best to get custom fitted for a 3 wood (I don’t have one just a ram 4 wood I won at a raffle) or get custom fitted for a new driver. I have a standard Taylor Made Burner 09 and I have heard these are longer then a normal driver.

Also does anyone know of a good place near East London to get custom fitted I have an American Golf and a Nevada Bobs near me but not sure if they are any good for custom fitting.

Sorry for the long post
Matt

The_LHC

Head Pro
Visit site
Would it not be better to ask the pro why you're slicing the driver? Getting a custom fitted one isn't going to fix the problem.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
first adust your grip, move your left thumb to right a bit on the grip. also grip further down the shaft. it works for me straighter drives better control :cool:

lee_leggett

Head Pro
Visit site
A fitting will not fix your slice... Better off trying to fix your swing, Then look at ways to stop the slice with the right club, higher loft and reg flex shaft.

But as above nothing will work if your swing is wrong...

DazYeo

Hacker
Visit site
I hit 30+ balls at the range last night trying different things to fix my slice, and the strengthening of the grip gave me consistently straighter flight. I don't know if this is a permanent fix, but a lesson with my pro is the next thing. I have contemplated getting an adjustable headed Driver (str8 fit etc) but that won't will only correct my bad swing path.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Personally I'd avoid AG for any sort of custom fitting. I'd get my pro to check the swing out with a driver with a quick lesson especially if all the other shots are much more consistant. A draw bias or adjustable driver is only papering over the cracks and won't solve the problem

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
My brother in law had a really bad slice/fade,he went to PRECISION GOLF and had a driver fitted with a pured shaft to his spec,outcome is he now hits it straight with a touch of draw....

Precision Golf is excellent. If they can't find a driver you can hit straight, then you can't hit a driver straight.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes, but most golfers do not have perfect swings, and do not want to spend hours having lessons to try and get one.

If a bias driver or adjustable one allows them to hit the ball straighter, and probably further, good luck to them. I don't think the average golfer has your high ambitions Homer.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If a bias driver or adjustable one allows them to hit the ball straighter, and probably further, good luck to them. I don't think the average golfer has your high ambitions Homer.

Sorry but I disagree. I had a draw bias driver when I got back into golf and it was a huge mistake. It only masks an underlyign swing flaw which over time will get worse. I still managed to slice it because the swing was wrong and nothing else. Once I'd had a lesson and got it sorted through my irons it clicked into place off the tee and the slice became hooks and the draw bias worked even more against me.

What I'm saying is that a lesson now and get the right swing will make everything in the bag that tiny bit easier and won't be hiding any nasty surprises down the line. It'll also open up a wider range of driver models (the new K15 for example)

MattCarter

Assistant Pro
Visit site
don’t think a draw bias driver will help as i have tried everything to get rid of the slice (closing the face at address, only at the range tho) I have even tried to aim left but this doesn’t seem to help only make it worse. I think a lesson is a good idea I was just wondering if the longer shaft was the problem I’m around 5 ft 9 and it’s a standard off the shelf driver.

A

Alex1975

I’m going to through it out there and say if you getting lazy with you driver swing. I used to have a slice on everything but got rid of it. If I get lazy on my drive and really lay into it, it will still slice. By lazy I mean, not use my wrists, not get my left arm through the ball or even not guide the club with my right hand. Most of the time it will be not getting my left arm through. It’s just laziness on my part, and trying to kick ass. Have a play. Hit and iron then a drive, then an iron.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

Sorry but I disagree. I had a draw bias driver when I got back into golf and it was a huge mistake. It only masks an underlyign swing flaw which over time will get worse. I still managed to slice it because the swing was wrong and nothing else. Once I'd had a lesson and got it sorted through my irons it clicked into place off the tee and the slice became hooks and the draw bias worked even more against me.

What I'm saying is that a lesson now and get the right swing will make everything in the bag that tiny bit easier and won't be hiding any nasty surprises down the line. It'll also open up a wider range of driver models (the new K15 for example)

I am just talking about the average Joe who plays once a week, and like the majority of players slices the ball. A club that helps him hit straighter and enjoys the game more is ideal for him. There are a lot of players out there who do not want to have lessons (sorry Bob) and practice all the time, me included. I am sure i enjoy my regular game just as much as you Homer. Horses for courses!

Totally agree that someone starting the game should have lessons, learn the correct basics, and practice as much as possible (back in your good books Bob ?) That's what i did when i took up the game as a nipper. A bit of natural talent, hand eye co-ordination never goes a miss as well.

Some of my mates that took up the game up much later in life, have no high aspirations of becoming low handicap golfers, and just want to get the maximum enjoyment from their regular game.

Sorry to bang on but not everyone that plays wants to have regular lessons and hit thousands of balls on a range.
Those that do good luck you you. I personally enjoy playing and not practicing ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't think I mentioned hitting thousands of balls. All I'm saying is that a lesson in the beginning with a driver as the swing and set up are different than iron play would give the OP a better foundation. Draw bias and adjustable clubs merely hide the problems caused by a poor swing.

I'm all for once a week golfers rocking up with their mates and going out and having some fun. I just think there is more to be had in getting the basics right with two 30 minute lessons for example costing say £50 than forking out £150+ on a driver. Even the draw bias and adjustable drivers can be sliced so are they actually getting any nett benefit anyway?

MattCarter

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all

I played at the weekend and wasn't using my driver due to the slice. my mate then asked me why i wasn't using the driver and i told them about the slice he said have a go and just hit it dont worry about the slice

and it went even when i tried to move the ball (over a lake) couldnt do it.

so i was wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this which has been fixed by just not thinking about the problem (hope that makes sense).