Driver Advice

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Following on from my thread to find a 40th birthday present thread, I have been asked to find another present from a couple of relatives who have no idea what to get. Now I know that my brother has never got on that well with his Cleveland Hi-Bore XL driver so a change may be in order. He is very much a casual golfer (does not really enter comps etc) and not really fussed about custom fit so I am happy buying off the rack (I know shaft and loft options). I am also going to stick to buying from Onlinegolf due to their returns option. I do not have a massive budget so looking at slightly older models and he is left handed so that limits the options a bit more. So, does anyone have any thoughts on the following:

Nike Dymo Str8 fit.
Taylormade R9
Taylormade Burner (08 I think)

One important factor is noise, he hates loud, high pitched drivers. Other than that he is a pretty big hitter but can be wayward when he starts putting too much into his swing.

Any comments appreciated.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a nike machspeed, and love it, but it sounds like a gun going off on impact. I have a shaft upg to a voodoo, but for me its a great driver and def worth a look.
If not, then the price of the r9 is excellent, maybe need to get help with the right set up for it, but could be very handy.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have (had) the Nike. It is loud and brash, but a great driver.

Traditionally TM make drivers with a good sound/feel at impact. You won't go far wrong with TM.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The R9 option also includes the R9 460 which I think is the non adjustable one.

The R9 460 is partly adjustable in that the shaft can be rotated to present open, closed and upright at address, it doesn't have the moveable weights is all.

Can't wait to see your post next December! :D

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is a pretty personal thing a driver.

Why don't they get him a voucher from somewhere and he can use it to pick his own?

Even when I was a casual golfer, I know I wouldn't be very happy with someone picking out a driver for me.

It's also a bit more exciting going to choose your own new toy rather than getting given one.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
GB, ive got the 09 burner which im sure is what AG have on special at the moment for £89.00

No nasty noise, even one totally out the button.

Very versitile

and Long.

I was contemplating upgrading but recent driving form has seen me invest the momey into lessons for my shortgame instead.

Even during a bad game its one of the easiest clubs to hit, i cant seem him being disappointed.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I had to make a decision due to sales ending soon.

Nice thought of the VR but not sure that my brother is consistant enough to make the most of it.

The burner was tempting but looking at the details, the length of the shaft put me off a bit as my brother can be wayward off the tee.

I have gone for the R9 which he can change if he wants.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't know what model it was but I had a go with a Nike at my driver fitting a couple of weeks ago.

Made an awful noise. I'd have had it if it turned out to be the best club for me, but I'm so glad it wasn't.