Driver Advice.

Stumac94

Visit site
I’ve never had much confidence with the Driver always had a bit of a slice due to my out to in swing and it’s never been my favourite club. I’ve done lots of work recently to fix the slice (as much as you can as an 18 Handicapper) but I’m finding that my distances are terrible. I make decent contact the ball gets up in the air but at best it’s doing 200/210yds. I’ve tried increasing my swing speed a little with no luck so I’m at a bit of a loss.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Do you know what your swing speed is?

A little background would be good....e.g. new golfer? young fit whippersnapper or old and creaky (like me)? typical iron distances e.g. with a 7 iron?

You may just be an average/lowish swing speed golfer and 210yds is bang on for your swing speed.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would be happy with that driver distance at my age but not as a much younger man.

Are you using a driver with a shaft suited to your swing speed / age?

Stumac94

Visit site
Do you know what your swing speed is?

A little background would be good....e.g. new golfer? young fit whippersnapper or old and creaky (like me)? typical iron distances e.g. with a 7 iron?

You may just be an average/lowish swing speed golfer and 210yds is bang on for your swing speed.
Hi thanks for the reply, been playing for years but only once or twice a month on average. Don’t know my swing speed tbh Just turned 51 so by no means a whippersnapper 😂 average distance with 7-iron 160-170yds.
I’ve never had much confidence with the Driver always had a bit of a slice due to my out to in swing and it’s never been my favourite club. I’ve done lots of work recently to fix the slice (as much as you can as an 18 Handicapper) but I’m finding that my distances are terrible. I make decent contact the ball gets up in the air but at best it’s doing 200/210yds. I’ve tried increasing my swing speed a little with no luck so I’m at a bit of a loss.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Stumac94

Visit site
I would be happy with that driver distance at my age but not as a much younger man.

Are you using a driver with a shaft suited to your swing speed / age?
Hi thanks for replying. The guy at the shop seemed to think a regular shaft was right for me as a 51yr old It was only a shop fitting rather than a club one but they did have all the kit for data.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi thanks for replying. The guy at the shop seemed to think a regular shaft was right for me as a 51yr old It was only a shop fitting rather than a club one but they did have all the kit for data.
You may not have enough loft on the club, or maybe have it too far back in your stance and not able to hit up on it. If you could upload a video of you hitting driver that would probably help some of the smarter minds on here diagnose it.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi thanks for the reply, been playing for years but only once or twice a month on average. Don’t know my swing speed tbh Just turned 51 so by no means a whippersnapper 😂 average distance with 7-iron 160-170yds.
OK...if 7iron is 160-170 yds then I think it is reasonable to assume that you have a driver swing speed that should get you out to around 230yds carry minimum.

(I'm 58, my 7iron goes 140yds carry and I carry my driver similar distance to you....so something is amiss)

I'd go and see a professional and get your swing looked at to see if there is anything fundamental that can be immediately improved.