Driver advice..

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
All this talk of yardage gains for club golfers, anyone would think that the R&A and USGA distance report was poppycock.

Or are they having the wool pulled over their eyes? :whistle:

I guess it’s all relative though. My gain of 25 yards is from a 220 to 245 average. That’s not big hitting by any stretch but as I said getting something that suits can make a difference in its own right.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
PXG have a deal on at the moment for an older model. My mate, 3.8 index who is already long, drove down to somewhere in Leeds for a fitting. He turned up a couple of weeks later with a club that he is hitting farther than his Titleist 915 D2, but more importantly he is constantly hitting a beautiful soft draw instead of the sometimes draw sometimes push that he was hitting previously.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Did a big Clubs4Cash recently so have got a driver fitting in the morning with the credit that got me

Hate it when people say they’ve ‘added 20 yards’ but borrowed a mate’s Epic and it was noticeably longer. The pro stocks Titleist, Ping and Callaway if anyone has any good recommendations? Currently have the G400

Can you honestly say that you believe club tech has jumped on massively since the launch of the 400 range?

My f8 feels almost identical to the original amp launched in 2012 and noticeably 5-10 yards max difference but I think that’s more shaft.

I am close friends with 8 capper who was fitted for a 910d2, on ourbore covid trip we visited Celtic and he booked a fitting while he was there. The outcome was a 917d2 with the same shaft set exactly the same with 5 yards max extra distance but a wider dispersion, he gave the fitter 50.00 for an hours time as the fitter couldn’t find a better combo...... and that was across the 913, 915 and 917.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can you honestly say that you believe club tech has jumped on massively since the launch of the 400 range?

My f8 feels almost identical to the original amp launched in 2012 and noticeably 5-10 yards max difference but I think that’s more shaft.

I am close friends with 8 capper who was fitted for a 910d2, on ourbore covid trip we visited Celtic and he booked a fitting while he was there. The outcome was a 917d2 with the same shaft set exactly the same with 5 yards max extra distance but a wider dispersion, he gave the fitter 50.00 for an hours time as the fitter couldn’t find a better combo...... and that was across the 913, 915 and 917.

the 917 is a good 4 years old now. The driver was never that great. the TS range, and now the TSi range are much better as Titleist are getting speed out of the face.

I saw much bigger gains going from a 917 to a TS3

jwlewes

Visit site
Was recently fit for a driver, and for me personally have seen a massive gain!

But you really have to go in there with an open mind, I thought I wanted the TM Sim2, hit it no better than my old Cobra F6, Moved on to try a Callaway Epic Speed - Ball speed up, spin down and distance well up! Off centre hits are far better and my average distance/dispersion has improved massively!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All this talk of yardage gains for club golfers, anyone would think that the R&A and USGA distance report was poppycock.

Or are they having the wool pulled over their eyes? :whistle:

Would it help you if I said I tried a new driver for 2 rounds and lost 20 yards with it. (True)

Reactions: Zig

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
the 917 is a good 4 years old now. The driver was never that great. the TS range, and now the TSi range are much better as Titleist are getting speed out of the face.

I saw much bigger gains going from a 917 to a TS3

I get that my point was comparing the g400 vs the g425 rather like the 910 vs the 9/3/915/917. The op was specifically referring to the g425 which I doubt would see many gains over the g400

LegendOle

Medal Winner
Visit site
Im also in the market for a new driver and can get the G400 Max for about £230. Not sure the G425 will give me the gains that warrant the additional outlay.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've currently got a G400 LST and my understanding is that the G425 doesn't necessarily go further but will be easier to find fairways with.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I have 909, wasn't fitted for me, though was a recommendation from a fitting session. Realisitcally am I going to get any extra distance, between end of Spring and beginning of autumn I will average around 300 yards.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I have a Ping G425 Max.
I would say it’s not any longer than G400 Max imo.
But it is very much straighter which gains yards in a way.
Some of my mishits were longer than the flushed ones ( spin numbers down)
I quite like the sound but it’s subjective.
I didn’t like the stock ping shaft and went for a Tensei AV raw blue.
It suits my -4 AOA and it has improved my driving no end.
This is where the tech is keeping me competitive as I get older and still getting 250 yds at 64 is not bad.

Ended up trying the G425 SFT - no further than the G400 but better dispersion, different shape (obviously) and much better sound which might be me convincing myself. Couldn’t get on with the Epic Speed and quite liked the various Titleist but think my mind is now trained to liking Ping drivers. Because have some credit through Clubs4Cash seems like a free hit and currently considering the ludicrous notion of a two-driver assault (and drop my 5-iron) which I can’t hit

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ended up trying the G425 SFT - no further than the G400 but better dispersion, different shape (obviously) and much better sound which might be me convincing myself. Couldn’t get on with the Epic Speed and quite liked the various Titleist but think my mind is now trained to liking Ping drivers. Because have some credit through Clubs4Cash seems like a free hit and currently considering the ludicrous notion of a two-driver assault (and drop my 5-iron) which I can’t hit
Yes I found it so straight it was a no brainier.
Two drivers not sure. But 9* and 12* is a good call.
Phil Mickelson tried that for a while.
If you change your mind later on Ping do hold their prices I find.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

hate to say I told you so.... ?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
....Because have some credit through Clubs4Cash seems like a free hit and currently considering the ludicrous notion of a two-driver assault (and drop my 5-iron) which I can’t hit
Are you considering 1 draw & 1 fade (neutral) biased. Or different lofts?
In the past I did play about a bit with 2 lofts, dropping the FW. If time and money were available I might be tempted to go one front weighted, low spin, slightly longer shafted thing. Plus a back weighted slightly shorter shafted fairway finder.