Driver advice desperately needed.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
For those that have followed my long and boring posts re me not getting on with my driver (SLDR). I have tried and tried and tried to get on with it. The bottom line is that it is worse than my previous driver PING G 15.
I have sought advice on here and in essence it ended more or less saying me swing was crap. The same swing that served me ok with my previous driver. One thing stopped me buying a new driver. I paid £329 for this SLDR magic WAND. And it could not cast a spell. So I was loathe to make the same mistake again.
i went to PING at Gainsborough and had a fitting for a driver, I was given the spec for one but in essence my driving that day was shocking. To get summat out of the SLDR I seemed to have to work hard with my swing.
Anyway working at the pit in the medical everything that gets sold at the pit is dropped off in the medical to get passed on. Tuesday morning there was. G30 driver sat there. I was purring it was for one of the lads to pick up for £130 and was legit. I have first dibs for £125 if he don't want it
i was like a craphouse fly caught in the light.
last night I took it for a blast in a nine hole comp.
first drive. I dint hit it right but straight down the middle prob 170 yd. with my SLDR it would of gone 30 yd right.
second drive 240 yd with massive side wind straight down the middle.
third drive dint hit it right but 150 straight down middle hit path and kicked 90 degree right.
fourth hole on a par five 220 yd straight down middle so much so I had a chance for the the first time ever to play second shot over the water. Which I dumped into the pond.
fifth 180 safe.
Sixth 190 yd into a gale no probs.
in essence no probs. strange thing is that I was playing second shots on the course where I had never been before. I never knew which clubs to chose coz ad not been there before.

heres my quandary I think I have made my mind up but I still have niggling doubts.

the club is the exact same speck except the shaft in the second hand one is a regular (same as SLDR) and PING recommend a soft reg. I have 99% made me mind up to change but do I buy new to PINGs spec, or plump for the second hand one. Is there that much difference between the two shafts.

massive help required chaps and chap petted.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whichever gives you the lowest spin and dispersion.

Really need to get them both on a LM with the same swing.

A lower spin good flight will serve you better on those days where the swing isnt quite there. I had a lesson and halved my dispersion, my pro was impressed how little spin I had and how it helped me keep the bad shots in check with my improved swing.

Out on the course that bore true, I started hooking it and still found the right fairway or first cut left at worst!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I play a Ping Soft Regular shaft and have hit a few regular ones and to be honest not noticed much difference in shot shape and distance - but some difference in feel all the same (sort of unresponsive). I do wonder if your sense that you have to work hard on the SLDR is because the flex is too stiff and the same would apply with the G30?

Do you recall your swing speed with the driver? If you're borderline between shafts then might be worth a try. Either way at that price you can move it on without a loss...

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Whichever gives you the lowest spin and dispersion.

Really need to get them both on a LM with the same swing.

A lower spin good flight will serve you better on those days where the swing isnt quite there. I had a lesson and halved my dispersion, my pro was impressed how little spin I had and how it helped me keep the bad shots in check with my improved swing.

Out on the course that bore true, I started hooking it and still found the right fairway or first cut left at worst!

why would someone with clearly a slow swing speed want low spin?

At £130 you can sell it and get your money back if it doesnt work out, clear that you want it so get it, sell the SLDR and if it doesnt work out sell it on and try something else (that or pay full whack for a fitting)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Relative of course right? I understand a good fit will minimise backspin but not too much that it reduces distance.

someone with a slow swing speed that needs a soft regular ultimately is likely to need some spin to get it up in the air. ultimately there will be optimal conditions for each swing speed but reducing spin doesnt sound the best option here imo

Tashyboy

Visit site
If memory serves me right my swing speed was low borderline between Soft reg and reg when tested for the SLDR.
With PING it went along the lines that the "whip" with SReg helped it along a bit.
i had a good lesson with Golf Support who after they had stopped me doing the splits whilst addressing the ball was encouraging me to swing it faster.
me sodding heads spinning.
without opening another thread the advice on this topic will prove valuable. Coz ave not even mentioned me "Wood shafts"yet.
quick edit to say that the "hang time" and flight on the PING looked a lot better although the ball seemed to waver in the air.

Last edited:

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
someone with a slow swing speed that needs a soft regular ultimately is likely to need some spin to get it up in the air. ultimately there will be optimal conditions for each swing speed but reducing spin doesnt sound the best option here imo

Not according to TM... remember the 17/1700 campaign!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Tashy....seriously I would consider spending the money on lessons. Your drives went anything from 150 to 240 yards, that is very inconsistent. Have a couple of lessons and I'm sure you'll get better results from your existing driver :thup:

D

Deleted member 1740

Defo have a lesson, any decent pro will be able to fix you.

I would also swerve custom fitting initially until your good drives are 7 out of 10.

Best of luck mate

shortstuff

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Got to agree with the latter comments. The variation is so big that it must be down to your swing. Get that sorted first before spending any more money on drivers. Remember that the set-up and swing for the driver is slightly different to your other clubs, so get some lessons specifically on the driver and take the advice of the pro teaching you.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Forget all this (generally quite reasonable) stuff about spin! The SLDR is not working out, so move that on. Get the G30 that's on offer as you hit that straight!. even if a bit variably!

Lessons will help, but that's quite a longer, more tedious and possibly more expensive (though it could also be cheaper) exercise to get from the frustrating current state to the much brighter one that simply changing hardware can get you to instantly!

Be aware though that new hardware only performs well until you actually purchase it! After that, the magic often disappears!

As for the shaft...I'd suggest the Reg rather than the SReg as it's likely to be a bit straighter and will likely be more appropriate when you get more confidence and go after it a bit more! Flex is really more about feel (whether it feels too boardy or too whippy) rather than optimising distance/flight, though there will probably be a (marginal) difference. If you currently hit too low, then softer flex might be preferable; if too high, try the stiffer flex. I've hit everything from tipped X-Flex to Soft Regular in a fitting session and the difference in distance was only a few yards!

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would do both.

If you're scared of the result when you're using the SLDR it'll take a lot to overcome that.

Buy the G30 and then have lessons with it.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Boys thanks for all the advice. In essence Tashyboy has booked a lesson next week which will involve a lesson specifically for the driver. Including the SLDR and taking along the Ping G30, as well as taking along the specs from the Ping fitting session.
the pro who I am having the lesson with stated that the SLDR although a good club is not the most forgiving. I have mentioned the story re the Ping G30 and he has said not put all me bags into one basket. Watch this space next Friday.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Visit site
Who you in with, Rich or Rob?

Am in with Rich, Merv. Do you know them both ? There was a bit of a cock up re booking coz Rich was double booked with me and 10 women. 😍 saw Rob on weds and he is struggling at the Mo with a ? Prolapsed disc. Do you play that part of the world.