Driver adjustment, when would you change.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only if my pro advised it, IMO the adjustability is for when you are able to run the numbers for each setting and dial it in. It's not for just cranking one way or another due to conditions.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The only thing I have changed on my driver is the shaft. I like a neutral setting so I can work the ball either way.

Always run mine neutral. My theory is if I got it set for draw and start hitting big draws I would blame the club. Neutral gives instant feedback on how I’m swinging that day which may effect the complete bag although a lot more visual on the big stick to to shaft length and less loft.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was fit for my driver, but after several months I decided to adjust the loft up a degree. I was fading it a little too much, and also hitting it low on the face sometimes, so adding loft addressed both - closing the face slightly and giving a higher launch. I've definitely hit more fairways since so I'm happy with it.

The good thing about adjustable drivers is that you can change a setting, try it out, and if there's no improvement you just put it back how it was. Surely you don't need to mull it over that much, just give it a go and see for yourself. (Although not right now obviously.)

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When I was fitted for my ping driver, the driver was set up weight wise to help combat my fade.I have always hit a fade or slice when it’s a bad drive. I had a lesson middle of last year which has got me hitting the ball a lot straighter And more often. But the club is still set up to help with the fade.
So do I get on the range( one day) and have a play or back for a fitting again.

Was it just the weight that was moved or was loft added as well?

If loft was added and you're now hitting it straighter, dial the loft back down to whatever the clubs standard is but leave the weight where it is and see how that goes.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I did move the loft down at one point from 10.5 to 10 but now wondering about going the other way to 11 and seeing if more loft equates to longer drives via more carry.
Have you tried increasing your angle of attack, rather than the loft on the club?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Was it just the weight that was moved or was loft added as well?

If loft was added and you're now hitting it straighter, dial the loft back down to whatever the clubs standard is but leave the weight where it is and see how that goes.

When I was fitted for the Ping driver both loft and weight were set for my swing speed and path.
What’s the thought rational on lowering the loft, am not the highest of natural hitters although I don’t hit grass cutters.

D

Deleted member 18588

When I was fitted for the Ping driver both loft and weight were set for my swing speed and path.
What’s the thought rational on lowering the loft, am not the highest of natural hitters although I don’t hit grass cutters.
According to your OP your driver is doing what it was intended after the fitting and the results are what you were looking for.

So why on earth would you want to fiddle with it?

Tashyboy

Visit site
According to your OP your driver is doing what it was intended after the fitting and the results are what you were looking for.

So why on earth would you want to fiddle with it?

The bottom line is that I am hitting the ball differant to when I was fitted. So would the club be set up the same way as it is now, hence my asking.
Similar to when you get fitted for irons playing off 25, would you have the same clubs if you then got down to 12

D

Deleted member 18588

The bottom line is that I am hitting the ball differant to when I was fitted. So would the club be set up the same way as it is now, hence my asking.
Similar to when you get fitted for irons playing off 25, would you have the same clubs if you then got down to 12
So you are no longer regular hitting fades and slices.

That means the fit is working or do you think that all the improvement is down to you?

Either way, if you are now hitting it straighter and longer than before what do you think you will gain from messing about with the settings?

Tashyboy

Visit site
So you are no longer regular hitting fades and slices.

That means the fit is working or do you think that all the improvement is down to you?

Either way, if you are now hitting it straighter and longer than before what do you think you will gain from messing about with the settings?

I think the hitting it straighter is down to a lesson more than anything else,which was the sole purpose of having the lesson. all am thinking is would the weight being moved alter the club for better or worse.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Just try the different settings next time you play or go to the range ?‍♂️.

I was due a couple of lessons up at the Peter Cowan academy this month.It’s kinda gone belly up. The lessons were a follow up ( I had a lesson Sept time) of me learning and understanding of how to try and hit it straighter. As it stands I am chuffed to bits with hitting it straighter. The day I shot my 82 my driving was sublime. So am loathe to change for changing sake. I was just thinking one Groundhog Day that my driver is set up for when my natural swing was a large fade.
That aside, it has endorsed that understanding what I was doing wrong and what I need to do right was down to a good lesson, not so much a good club.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
A mate of mine was advised that moving the weights left to right & vice versa didn't much affect the flight. However, he said that, if you're prone to hitting it out of the heel, set the club for a draw. That way, the extra weight is behind the ball & your mishits will go farther.