Drinking on the course

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have never drunk alcohol out on the course, I stick to plain water, of course I do see a few cans every now and again.

I am guessing the last round (At the par 3 course) on Saturday night had quite a time, from the first hole there was at least a can of some cheap beer in the bin (we have small bins that double as the tee marker), on 7 and 8 there was a bottle of wine in each bin. Most strangely in the 8th one there was also a bottle of Sainsbury’s own brand sunflower cooking oil...

That must have been one crazy 4ball! I should have snapped a pic but I didn’t have time as I was being let through.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I have never drunk alcohol out on the course, I stick to plain water, of course I do see a few cans every now and again.

I am guessing the last round (At the par 3 course) on Saturday night had quite a time, from the first hole there was at least a can of some cheap beer in the bin (we have small bins that double as the tee marker), on 7 and 8 there was a bottle of wine in each bin. Most strangely in the 8th one there was also a bottle of Sainsbury’s own brand sunflower cooking oil...

That must have been one crazy 4ball! I should have snapped a pic but I didn’t have time as I was being let through.
I pay a not so insignificant sum for golf. Personally I want to enjoy it. We see societies turn up at our place and they’re getting bladder from 8am and you wonder how badly they must’ve played.

Siolag

Visit site

A well oiled group then? Expecting smooth swings.

D

Deleted member 16999

So true! It’s boiling my urine at the moment seeing bottles lying on courses due to no bins. Just stick em in the bag man!
Why are there no bins on the course?
I know certain types were to be removed when the lockdown was lifted, but they have since been allowed to be put back.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Why are there no bins on the course?
I know certain types were to be removed when the lockdown was lifted, but they have since been allowed to be put back.
There’s still loads missing on ours for some reason. Either way. People should just carry their litter until they reach one.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Only time I have a tipple is if I play in the depths of winter. A drop of single malt every 4 or 5 holes, which is usually welcomed by playing partners as well.

Was a member at a course that had a lot of societies and a few guys enjoyed a few cans. I mean I have no issues with it to a point but if it starts impacting others enjoyment and general atmosphere of the club then it goes a bit too far.

I’ve left the golf club sloshed on a few occasions but usually mid summer when we have been sat outside for a few hours post round.

I’ve noticed from joining a Facebook page that quite a few Americans Seem to put more emphasis on the drinking and antics rather than the golf.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I never drink during a round. Most we've ever had is one at the half way point. I wouldn't want to drink to a point where it negatively affects my golf as it would feel like I wasted my time and money. Drinking is what you do after the round when you've earned it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I had a fair bit to drink going round on Saturday (& last weekend) for a couple of fundraiser/charity days (not everyone is playing high stakes every week)
Sometimes golf is just for fun and a good cause, several of the sponsors were alcohol brands so no surprise they brought some 'samples' they served up on various holes and I'm sure it helps loosen the wallets for the auctions etc at lunch

But I regularly have a drink during social games anyway (its actually possible to do this without being a 'piss-head' or getting 'bladdered') although I've seen people drink to excess too and it's not pretty (wherever it happens) but for the majority it has little negative impact to a game and does no harm
Once I had a bottle of wine served to my wife and I on the 9th tee for our anniversary which we drank going round the back 9 so I can see how an empty wine bottle might end up in a bin without it being someone having a drinking session

In the UK I can count on one hand the amount of times I had a drink playing golf (who wants a drink when its lashing down and/or blowing a hoolie, the UK climate is often just not conducive even in summer) but out here it is quite normal

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Other than stag doos and the odd society I wasn’t aware people would want to do it.

Only, time I ever have one on the course is Captains day when there usually beers and Pimms half way round.

Diamond

Visit site
If the half way house sells beers and spirits then the club is supporting it. I can never understand it myself.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
If you join any of the US-dominated golf groups on Facebook you'll see that our cousins seem to see golf as a reason to drink beer, drive a buggy and play music - actually holing the ball is incidental to the activity.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you join any of the US-dominated golf groups on Facebook you'll see that our cousins seem to see golf as a reason to drink beer, drive a buggy and play music - actually holing the ball is incidental to the activity.

We have had two or three society bookings at Pyrford recently which definitely fitted into that category.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mid summer twilight round with a day of work behind me, an evening on the course as the sun sinks low in the sky with a bottle or two of cold "aiming juice" is pretty much my ideal evening.

Live and let live I say, (so long as it's not impacting others)