• No

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Only for Board competitions

Votes: 9 17.0%

• Total voters

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've always enjoyed drawn comps as I like playing with new people , after all that's how you make friends and expand your golfing network , just look at this Forum and the connections we've all made through here. Good that all Forum meets I've been on are drawn 👍
In NZ , where we were drawn it was great meeting new folks and hearing their stories and opinions on the latest rugby and here in UK try to.play in 3-4 regional comps a year where it's a drawn comp 😁

D

Deleted member 3432

All are drawn within certain constraints....players can ask for an early, middle or late tee time and there are groups of golfers who like to play as a bloc who will all put themselves down for an early time....but the actuall allocation of players to tee times within the early/late/middle block is random.

There has to be some common sense used in the draw process....its no use drawing a couple who turn up in the same car and giving them tee times that are 2 hours apart for example!!!

I couldn't imagine being at a club where folks put their names down to play with the same fellas every week.

I played for 30+ years at a club with drawn comps and now play at a club where you just put your name down.

I prefer drawn comps but the reason for putting names down at my present club is many members travel together.

I can't play every week so just stick my name down after someone crosses their name out.... Arrived in the dark at 6-45 am this morning to see 20 people waiting for the start sheet to go up for two weeks time. Names put on out of habit and several will cross off well before the comp.

I just stick my name down in the earliest gap possible and don't care who I play with as I will soon drag them down to my level :LOL:

My only frustration is playing with a group of higher handicappers and spending all morning ratching around in the heather. Apologies to any higher handicappers for that statement but I'm trying to make a score out there.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have drawn comps at Chesfield and not at Knebworth.

Defintly prefer drawn comps as I get to play with other people. Knebworth where everyone just plays in the same groups all the time is very clicky. I do find it very unfriendly for new members.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
My club doesn’t have drawn comps for the most part, it’s the same groups of 3 or 4 every Saturday and Sunday, very hard to get intregrated into the club which is why I won’t be a member there next year.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I definitely prefer drawn comps. As others say it's a way on integrating with members you may not normally play with and is a great way for new members to get to meet a lot of others. Roll up groups can be cliquey to break into and clubs need to ensure new members especially can feel welcome and get involved especially in competitions

D

Deleted member 21258

I think we only have drawn comp for club champs at my home club, rest are write your name on the list on the wall. Much prefer to play with people I know and to know the time when I sign up for the comp(Now my son is having to do supplementary cards due to job, I have reverted back to a social golfer only, only played 3 comps this year so as to keep handicap active :oops:).

Moving forward I would never rejoin a club that only has drawn comps or regularly blocking out tee times for a male only comp all day, Personally think Beau has got their setup perfect, they allow social and comp and male/female to play at the same time for most days, all adult members are basically treated equal.:cool: Just need to find time to play some golf now, played loads less this year than last year:mad:

At the home club Mile end, if new members wish to get to know other members there are quite a number of socials arranged that are drawn and you can get to get to know other members that way.(y)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our big comps are drawn - the way it works now is you enter into a slot on howdidido, let's say '9:20 - 10:00' for example, then you get issued your tee times and who you're playing with. But for the monthly medals, Stablefords etc, you can just play at any time over the weekend with whoever you like.

I like it both ways to be honest, so I think it's good to have that mix. I want to play with new people and meet the other members occasionally, but I also enjoy entering some comps with my mates.

ForeRighty

Head Pro
Visit site
I joined a club last year where you choose your own 4 ball and as a new member I find this system terrible. I have also had an occassion where I put my name down in a 4 ball turned up on the sunday morning to find my other playing partners already on the course jumping in with other groups. I had to turn around and go home as I wasn't aware of availability on the tee sheet and the pro shop did nothing to help.

It should be operated like a swindle turn up random draw and play golf.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
We only have drawn comps, except for the odd charity day - captain's day, etc. I really wouldn't like to have the whole cliquey vibe of playing with your own group every week. I've heard stories of some clubs where that is a real issue, and it would certainly put me off joining a club.